Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Unexpecgted change in Start Menu

I have Windows XP Home Edition with SP2. Some time in the last few days, the menu I get when I click on the Start button changed dramatically. The old menu produced two columns, the one on the left having a white background and the one on the right having a shaded background. The new one produces just one while background column. And the buttons are altogether different. For example, now, when I click on programs I don't find an Accessories button. There are a lot of differences but maybe that is enough to enable someone to tell me what is going on.

I am presuming that the change came about when I installed Windows Defender because I can't think of what else might have caused it.

When I used System Restore to go back to prior to installing Defender, I get the old menu back.

I prefer the old menu. For one thing, I was troubleshooting my printer and the directions called for me to go Start>Programs>Accessories>Wordpad. But with this new menu there is no Accessories button although I suppose there is some way of getting to Accessories and programs like Wordpad.

If Defender is what caused the change, does that mean that in order to keep the old menu I will not be able to have Defender. Another question I have is that I have SpySweeper and I wonder if I even need Defender?

Thanks, Jerome

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unexpecgted change in Start Menu
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unexpecgted change in Start Menu
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
start menu

In reply to: Unexpecgted change in Start Menu

Hi - sounds like malware. Have you swept your computer recently ? - Amos

Collapse -
Re: Unexpecgted change in Start Menu

In reply to: Unexpecgted change in Start Menu

Jerome, Right click your Start button, choose Properties and under the Start Menu tab tic (.) "Start menu", click Apply/OK. You probably had it set to "Classic Start menu".

Tufenuf

Collapse -
SOLVED!! a double nice

In reply to: Re: Unexpecgted change in Start Menu

Thanks, Tufenut. Double nice because not only did I get the solution quickly but it was one I could implement without screwing up the way I often do with instructions. What a nice place this is! Jerome

Collapse -
(NT) Glad that the problem is solved & Thanks for posting back

In reply to: SOLVED!! a double nice

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.