General discussion

Undoing PC Power Sweeper 2.1 Trial Version

So I just ran the trial version of PC Power Sweeper 2.1, which I downloaded from cnet, and it deleted every file on my computer: word docs, excel sheets, bookmarks, music, movies, and even icons from the start menu. What the hell?!
All it was supposed to do is delete temp files and clean the registry. I've emailed the publisher, MalwareSweeper, for support but no response. I can't find any threads about this, so I'm posting it here.
My OS is XP Media Center Edition. System Restore was able to get the start menu icons back, but that's it. The only evidence left over is a txt log listing everything that's been deleted (it even deleted its own setup files). Any help would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Undoing PC Power Sweeper 2.1 Trial Version
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Undoing PC Power Sweeper 2.1 Trial Version
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Have You Used Your Backup Disc To Replace Those Files?

Reading the reviews of that particular program doesn't lead to a lot of confidence... Still, since you've had a problem, you should be able to copy all the files back to your computer from your backups... You do have current backups made, don't you?

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
No, but I learned my lesson

The last time I backed up anything was 2 years ago. Luckily, file scavenger has been able to recover most of the files. Once everything is recovered, I will be backing up like crazy. Lesson learned.

CNET Forums