Computer Help forum

General discussion

"Undoing" a document type switch

I hope this will be clear: After installing NERO, I clicked on the user manual and got the "how do you want to open this file" window. I knew it was a PDF file but stupidly chose WORD and then did not uncheck that crafty little box that says "always use this .... for this kind of file ..." Now, of course, the manual's file is not readable in WORD and I don't know how to unset that little box - solutions?? (Windows 98se)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Undoing" a document type switch
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Undoing" a document type switch
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
File association with an program to open....

In reply to: "Undoing" a document type switch

Highlight (e.g. click once), then Ctrl+right click. Take "open with" from the menu and choose [Adobe] Acrobat Reader. Make sure to check the box "...always open with...." Do make sure you have Adobe Acrobat or its reader installed.

You can also bring up context menu by highlighting the document icon and then press the context menu key.

The above is the simple way. There is another more 'detailed' way via ''file type'' association.....but that's for another day !

Collapse -
Re File Association - Thanks Papa Echo --- But ----

In reply to: File association with an program to open....

I was unable to get an "Open With" menu. I tried highlighting the document/file in WORD, from "My Documents", from "Documents" and from the NERO under Programs but Ctrl + right click just got me to standard OPEN (+) menu or right into WORD. I tried with ALT and SHIFT also but to no avail. Also - I should note that that problem is on my desktop machine which is not connected to the internet (I'm hoping to get Acrobat on there one way or another).
You also mentioned bringing up "context menu" - have no idea what that is.
Can you help?

Collapse -
Tosca, To Change The File Association,,,

In reply to: Re File Association - Thanks Papa Echo --- But ----

...find the file in question, press down the "shift" key and while holding it down, RIGHT click directly on the file, then choose "Open With" from the small menu. (It's usually the fourth or fifth entry down.) A small "Open With" box will load, place a CHECK mark in the box that says: "Always use this program to open this file type", then double click on the program of your choice...in this case Acrobat Reader'.

If you still can't get the "Open With" menu, then change the file type association in Windows Explorer like this: RIGHT click on the Start button, choose "Explore" from the menu. When the Explorer window opens, click on "Tools" in the upper left, choose "Folder Options". (On some operating systems, this is in the "View" menu.) After opening "Folder Options", click on the "File Types" tab, then scroll to the .pdf file listing and click once on it to highlight it. You'll now need to edit the file association by browsing to the "Acrord32.exe" file in the C\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat X\Reader folder.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
File Associations

In reply to: Tosca, To Change The File Association,,,

Thanks Grif - your instructions worked nicely.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Tosca, Glad We Could Help !

In reply to: File Associations

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.