Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Undo network setup

by Barbara92021 / August 13, 2005 10:24 AM PDT

I purchased a new laptop and decided that I should network it with my fairly new PC. First, I set up a new D-Link wireless router. Both the desktop and the laptop have access to the internet without any problems. I created problems for myself when I decided that I should network the 2 of them. I set up the laptop first and then learned that I should've run the Network Wizard on my desktop FIRST, as it is the host computer. Now I just want to undo the network setup that I've done on both computers! I have spent the entire day reading everything I can find about networking but I am unable to find out how to UNDO my network setup!! I don't need to have a network with these 2 computers at this time. Please, I hope someone can tell me how to undo this network stuff. I tried system restore but that was no help at all. It keeps telling me that I haven't made any changes - yea, right! I can't find anything online to help me, so, once again, I turn to the CNET forums for help! I have Windows XP on both. Desktop is Presario SR1234NX and the laptop is Acer3003WLCI

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Undo network setup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Undo network setup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The chief reason for a failing.....
by Michael Geist / August 13, 2005 11:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Undo network setup

home network these days is the uninformed use of firewalls. I would not use the network setup wizard, but instead use the following setup guidelines:

1) workgroup name the same on both PCs
2) file sharing enabled through Windows Firewall
3) some folder set to be shared
4) all other firewalls shut off

Note: In a peer to peer network with a router, there is no host PC. Each PC connects independently to the Internet.

Collapse -
Undo network setup
by Barbara92021 / August 13, 2005 11:51 AM PDT

Thanks Michael but that is not what I need, sorry! I read all about doing exactly what you said but I want to UNDO the networking completely. I can go back at another time and do the networking when I have the time to read all about it. Do you have any ideas for my on undoing this???

Collapse -
What is it that you wish.....
by Michael Geist / August 13, 2005 1:11 PM PDT

to undo? If the network is not sharing, then the solution is in the adjustment of the settings previously noted. If the Internet is not functioning, that's another issue.

What's listed on the Network properties page?

Collapse -
Undo network setup
by Barbara92021 / August 13, 2005 3:12 PM PDT

OK Michael now you are making me think a different way! Happy First, and most important before I do anymore is this question: Is it ok that I started setting up the file and printer settings for a network, first, on the laptop and not on my desktop??? YES - ok or NO - not ok, please! If NO, what do I have to do to start over?
I did set the wireless router connection to both computers from my desktop and it is working just fine - I have internet access on both puters!
I am grateful that you are willing to respond to my questions and somewhat confused state.
I think I was making the networking system far more involved than it is! Networking is for internet access (sharing the wireless router) and for file and printer sharing and not much else. Do I have that right now? I obviously have the internet connection right, anyway! LOL

Collapse -
YES - ok or NO - not ok, please!
by Michael Geist / August 13, 2005 10:50 PM PDT

I would say YES-ok. The network setup wizard does little other then provide the settings needed to connect two or more PCs. These settings can be adjusted if they do not work.

Viewing and changing settings can be done manually. The first place to look, in XP, is on the Computer Name tab of System Properties (right click My Computer and click on Properties). Your workgroup name should be the same on both PCs.

The second place to look is on Windows Firewall (Control Panel). Here we look to see if file and print sharing is checked on the Exceptions tab.

The third place is to look for any other firewall programs running. Zone Alarm and others are the suspects here and should be turned off or set to allow LAN (network traffic).

The fourth and hopefully final setting is to share some folder on each PC. If all your ducks are in line, you should see each folder from My Network Places.

Collapse -
Undo network setup
by Barbara92021 / August 14, 2005 2:48 AM PDT

THANKYOU, Michael!!! Happy I did each of the 4 things you told me to do and TADA!!!! Happy I shared a folder back and forth between the 2 puters - with total ease!!!! My ducks are obviously in a row and standing tall!!! LOL Now I have to go make my connection more secure. I read all the info about that AFTER I installed the wireless router. If I have any more issues with this networking I will post to this forum again! Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!!!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Quack,quack..
by Michael Geist / August 14, 2005 3:29 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!