HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Understanding IP address - what the hell?

by llewyn / May 16, 2010 10:40 AM PDT

I am trying to understand about IP addresses. My understanding is that everyone has one if you are on the internet.

If I run Belarc advisor, it reports these IP addresses:
1394 Net Adapter
NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
primary Auto IP Address: 192.168.1.102 / 24
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Dhcp Server: 192.168.1.1
Physical Address: 00:18:F3:88:4F:56

Networking Dns Servers: 68.87.68.166

Then I did a search on the internet for IP address. A web page told me that my IP address was 71.56.46.184.

So which of these is my real IP address, and what makes it so? Does the "main" IP address correspond to the router or modem or some other piece of equipment?

Thanks for your help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Understanding IP address - what the hell?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Understanding IP address - what the hell?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ip address
by bill012 / May 16, 2010 10:34 PM PDT

It appears you did this from your PC behind your router.

Unless you pay for it you will only get a single IP from your ISP. That is your 71.56.46.184 address.

Since there is only 1 ip address the device you plug into the modem or other device the ISP uses gets this IP. If you run without a router your PC will directly get the ip.

When you use a router the router pretends all the machines at your location come from the same address. In effect your machine has 2 addresses.

The 192.168.1.102 is your "fake" address. These are actually called private addresses and are used to reduce the actual number of ip used.

Collapse -
re: ip
by JezusSaurusRex / May 19, 2010 7:20 AM PDT

bill102 said thoroughly just about all there is to be said. But not that I'm adding to the topic at hand; I would take that private information off the web. It may open you up to spam or other personal privacy invasion. Just a little warning.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.