Computer Help forum

General discussion

Undeletable file?

by Help / July 22, 2004 1:02 PM PDT

I'm not sure what you guys expertise in, but I'm desaperate for help. It seems I picked up some kind of tracking file from a download. It gives the guy that gave me this file access to my computer. I tried deleting it... Duh it doesn't work. Any help here?
The file is in C: WINDOWS and its called iesecurity.
If you guys will be so kind as to help me out, Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Undeletable file?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Undeletable file?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Undeletable file?
by Cursorcowboy / July 22, 2004 9:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Undeletable file?
WARNING: As always, make sure every utility you use is fully updated.

1. First, please read the article concerning "Unsolicited Commercial Software."

2. Second, perform as a minimum the first five items listed below.

Note: If you try using CWShredder, HijackThis, as well Spybot S&D, Ad-aware and several other anti-spyware utilities and a trojan is installed which prevents their running, download PepiMK's "CoolWWWSearch.SmartKiller" removal tool, uncompress the zip file and run the program.

a. "Housecall."

b. 'Adaware." Your attention is invited to "Unable to Log On To Windows XP After Removing wsaupdater.exe."

c. "Spybot S&D."

d. "CWShredder" - 1 or "CWShredder" - 2.

Note: Problems connecting? Try "Computer Cops" and find the files in question to download from there.

e. "McAfee AVERTStinger."

f. "Hijack This" - 1 or "Hijack This" - 2.

Note: Posting a log concerning #f should only be at the direction of a forum moderator IMO. For your reading pleasure, "Hijack Removal."

3. Please reply to our input that each and every one of the five were used and the result if you require further input.
Collapse -
Annoying redirects
by LaurieH01 / December 4, 2010 9:49 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Undeletable file?

Well, I tried all the above because I've been getting annoying redirects anytime I click on a link. They'll take me anywhere except where I want to go.

A. Housecall won't download.
B. Adaware got rid of some things, but it didn't help the overall problem.
C. Spybot S&D - Incorrect address
D. CWShredder - found nothing.
E. Stinger - found nothing
F. Hijack This - incorrect address

I already have McAfee, which hasn't found anything, either. I don't want to reinstall my system - I've done it once this year, and don't really want to do it again. Any more ideas?

Collapse -
Did you notice . . .
by Coryphaeus / December 4, 2010 11:16 AM PST
In reply to: Annoying redirects

you replied to a six year old question. You might get better results if you create a new thread.

Collapse -
We Remove The Redirect Problem Like This...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 4, 2010 11:59 AM PST
In reply to: Annoying redirects

First, download, install, update, then run full system scans with both free malware removal tools below. If you can't download the tools below on your current computer, you may need to download the tools on a separate computer, copy them to a flash drive, then transfer them to the problem machine.:

Malwarebytes Antimalware

Hitman Pro 3.5

Next, download TDSSKiller and follow guide to use the tool:
http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208280684

And when you're done, check your LAN settings in Internet Explorer like this:

Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools-Internet Options-Connection Tab. Click on the LAN settings button. IF there is a check mark next to "Use a proxy server for your LAN", uncheck it. Click OK. Then OK, again.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 23, 2004 7:01 AM PDT

Help,

And only after trying all of the good suggestions from CursorCowboy abovek, you still can't delete the offending file, then try restarting the computer into Safe Mode', then navigate to the file and delete it manually.

If it's still not gone, try the MoveOnBoot program from the link below, which should allow you to delete the file after a restart of the computer.

Program To Delete Locked Files
http://www.webattack.com/get/moveonboot.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by Georgeirene / July 29, 2004 7:42 PM PDT

go to RUN on your Desktop, type in Regedit.Then select edit and find....type in the name of the undeletable file and WAIT for a few minutes, be patient. If it comes up use Edit to Delete it !!! This may work !!
But be very, very careful not to delete anything else !!
The Registry is dangerous territory, treat with care.
George.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.