General discussion

UNC558000 plus Xbox => Mode not supported

I hadn't played my xbox for a while and the other day when i went to play it wouldn't display the picture (it used to work fine). All i get on the screen is "Mode not supported".

I called Microsoft who blamed the TV, i thought they were full of crap so I ended up taking the xbox to a friends house...it works fine there but it was in 480p mode so i thought maybe it didn't support that and i changed it to 1080i. I came home, plugged it in..still get Mode not supported.

I realized my Dell LCD Computer monitor has component in so i tried that and it works fine as well. I then changed it to 720p and that also didn't work.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do? The Samsung autodetects the mode is far as i can tell..i tried to do the simple reset on the input from the samsung menu's...that didn't help either. This is an older Xbox with no HDMI, just component out.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: UNC558000 plus Xbox => Mode not supported
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: UNC558000 plus Xbox => Mode not supported
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
The clue may be "it used to work fine."

ANY CHANGES? Such as firmware updates?

- Collapse -
sort of...

Well...not that i know of...but i had guests over at one point since i've played and i don't know what they may have changed. What is the procedure for full TV reset? I have tried to keep up to date with the latest firmware hoping it would fix all my 3D woes.

- Collapse -
3D woes?

That's another clue. We'll see if the Samsung master will add how to reset but I'll share the non-HDMI xbox's have been a little painful. That it works on the other monitor is not an indictment it's the tv but is useful intel.
Bob

- Collapse -
3D woes etc

I wonder why component would be at all painful. Every TV i've ever tried with an xbox plugs in without trouble (as did this one the day i got it).

As for 3D woes i have serious ghosting when trying to watch my only 3D movie that came with my samsung 3D kit (monsters vs aliens). Which it also seemed to be better on day one vs the series of firmware updates i've applied (hoping it would improve it).

- Collapse -
3D woes etc

chrislyse,

It's hard to say what's happening here. Have you tried resetting the game console by holding down the power button to see if that helps?

Component would support 720, and should accept even higher resolutions.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
issues

The reset method according to Microsoft was to boot the device holding the right trigger + the "Y" button. This did nothing to help with my problem.

I tried my friends LCD RPTV (SONY) and the xbox works fine. I tried my Dell LCD computer monitor and it works fine too. The samsung (which used to work fine) will only say Mode Not Supported. I don't still have any component cables so i need to go buy some to test my dvd player to see if the Samsung doesn't work for any component device or just the xbox.

I guess i will try to see if there are any new firmwares for the Samsung TV..before calling in to TV support. Though i have a feeling Samsung will blame microsoft and Microsoft will blame Samsung...and i'm stuck in the middle.

CNET Forums

Forum Info