Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Unbelievable, No winter here as yet..

Here it is Jan. 6th. Have had no Snow and my thermometer down back read 70 degrees. 72 on the deck. at 1 PM. Grass is still green. Still some birds around. Real strange. Not normal. I have a feeling some where down the line we are going to pay for all this. Well, the suns gone down and its still 68 degrees. Feels and smells like spring. (Don't I wish it)

Ran the snow blower for about 20 min. Rode the lawn tractor around. Sat on the picnic table, then came in and took a nap. (Spring fever) Happy I can't operate this equipment any more, but I like to keep it in shape for who ever shows up to run it. I have a friend that plows the driveway and a crew that takes care of the yard work, but somehow I just can't seem to part with what used to be.

Looks like a real hot summer coming up.

George

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unbelievable, No winter here as yet..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unbelievable, No winter here as yet..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
None here in Ohio either

In reply to: Unbelievable, No winter here as yet..

My wife mentioned that our crocus bulbs are coming up. We've had a few frosty morning but no snow accumulation. Afternoon temps are in the '50s and '60s. We've had some warmer periods around Christmas time but never heading into January like this.

Collapse -
My Sister lives in....

In reply to: None here in Ohio either

Colorado a little bit West of Denver. Boy, are they buried out there. She wants me to come out for a visit. Yeah, sure, terrific, be right out. Just send me some pictures. I'll look them over while resting in my chaise lounge Happy

George

Collapse -
where is "here" folks?

In reply to: None here in Ohio either

I am in mid-hudson valley, ny. weather sunny 70. winter very mild so far. I personally counted 9 flakes in november, few hard freezes so far. there is plenty of time for the cold still. we have had abundant rain this year, and if the wet joins the cold, a couple of good blizzards are possible. abundant hot chocolate is in my survival supplies.

I asked where the "heres" were because when I heard 115 inches, I thought maybe buffalo ny or tahoe, ca. of course those in the witness protection program should use discretion.

too bad it doesn't snow when it is 70. have the beauty, without the chill, that new 'warmth friendly' snow also should not fall on stairs, porches, sidewalks and roads. when you wish why stop.

Collapse -
(NT) ohio, that "here" I know, reply was for OP, i'ts foggy here

In reply to: where is "here" folks?

Collapse -
Syracuse, NY

In reply to: where is "here" folks?

Buffalo is usually not even in the running. They normally get a lot of snow in the beginning of winter but then Erie freezes over so no more lake-effect.

Ontario, on the other hand, doesn't freeze. We usually win the golden snowball for the state and we don't get nearly as much snow as just north of here in Oswego. Oswego is just small. If it were the size of Syracuse, it would win. There are some places there that have doors on the second floor so people can still get out.

When we first moved here, the average snowfall was over 120 inches so it's been creeping downward since then.

Diana

Collapse -
never been there but I hear the stories

In reply to: Syracuse, NY

I must have passed through when I took the train to chicago several times. dated a woman from bufalo that had moved to nyc. we went to niagara during christmas, very specatular with all the ice. the closest to syracuse by car were the finger lakes region. very pretty there.

thanks for the "here" I do not know where everybody lives. when most think of ny they think 'city'. I do not miss the flatlands of illinois, though I sometimes wish chicago was down river. ny has quite a range from atlantic beaches, couple of great lakes, adirondack mts state park (largest in usa w/o alaska) farms, forests and usually four seasons. avg. snowfall here 40-50in this season 0 in , couple inches of rain tonight

Collapse -
We normally get 115 inches of snow

So far we've gotten 12 inches. That's north of here. Here hasn't gotten anymore than a dusting.

Diana

Collapse -
(NT) So much for the Farmers Almanac..El Nino is here Diana

In reply to: We normally get 115 inches of snow

Collapse -
Beautiful Saturday here too.

Just absolutely gorgeous. I'm so thankful for global warming, it's helping to
make this world a better place to live in already. I could go through the whole
winter like this. In fact, when I lived in Florida years ago, I DID go through
most of a winter like this, LOL. This is just great!

Collapse -
"The January thaw"

Usually hits here in January or February, but ours came in the last couple of weeks of December. We did have one light snow.... very light.... just stuck to metal and roofs..... a little bit.... before that.

I heard the cherry trees are blooming in Washington, DC.

My "cool weather" grass has grown some. But my lawn tractor is tucked away, and will stay that way. Happy (Drive yours down, if you like.) Happy

I suspect winter will hit with a vengeance come February, March, and maybe April. What I especially dread are ice storms.

Just hope that there will be a let up in time to have my lawn tractor picked up for its yearly maintenance. I don't have a pick-up truck, and they only charge $35 round trip. I usually do that in late February, but I'll be watching extended forecasts closely and might do it earlier.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Re; "The January thaw"

In reply to: "The January thaw"

We don't get too many ice storms up here Angeline. Its the ice dams along the eaves and gutters I dread. Lets hope its the winter that never was.

If the Cherry trees are blooming in DC, we are all set. It will be Green Beer time before we know it. Happy

George

Collapse -
I've been watching the weather up there on weather.com

And it's burning me up that I can't gloat!!! It's warmer in New York than it is in Texas!!!

Cut it out, George!!!

Happy

Collapse -
Yep, nice and toasty up here Josh

In reply to: I've been watching the weather up there on weather.com

Glad I didn't go to Fl, TX, AZ or where ever its suppose to be warm. I'm just hanging around here nice and cozy waiting for Spring Training to start. Next month I think. We have this new super pitcher on board now at 40 mil. plus. Wonder if he gets more if they teach him English. Can't wait to see who catches for him. Happy

Farmers Almanac says we are suppose to have a cool summer. Yeah sure, just like their winter prediction. We'll probably be all cooked up like a "freedom" fry. Plain

George

Collapse -
Yeah, we settled......

In reply to: Yep, nice and toasty up here Josh

....for "the other Japanese pitcher," who hopefully won't turn out to be another Hideki Irabu.

At least the Big Eunuch is on his way back to Arizona. Maybe his 43 year old body will fare better in that climate.

Collapse -
That IS funny

In reply to: I've been watching the weather up there on weather.com

You head down to the warmer southern states and then we have the warmest
winter up here in a long time. Don't pass that around there too much or they
may run you back out of Texas, LOL.

Collapse -
I could always threaten to move back....

In reply to: That IS funny

....and bring the cold weather back with me.

Wink

Won't happen though, we love it here.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.