General discussion

Unbelievable!

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/09/25/obama-the-future-must-not-belong-to-those-who-slander-the-prophet-of-islam/

Obama: "The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam"
posted at 2:01 pm on September 25, 2012 by Erika JohnsenPresident Obama addressed the General Assembly of the United Nations in New York on Tuesday morning, and while there were a few moments when he at least talked a good game on free speech, there were also moments that left much to be desired on that same front and on the real nature of the root causes of unrest in the
Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Unbelievable!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Unbelievable!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
What WAS he thinking?

The future should belong to them.

That's what the world should focus on.....Slandering the Prophet of Islam.

Some other things he said at the same speech.

The future must not belong to those who target Coptic Christians in Egypt - it must be claimed by those in Tahrir Square who chanted "Muslims, Christians, we are one." The future must not belong to those who bully women - it must be shaped by girls who go to school, and those who stand for a world where our daughters can live their dreams just like our sons. The future must not belong to those corrupt few who steal a country's resources - it must be won by the students and entrepreneurs; workers and business owners who seek a broader prosperity for all people. Those are the women and men that America stands with; theirs is the vision we will support.

The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam. But to be credible, those who condemn that slander must also condemn the hate we see in the images of Jesus Christ that are desecrated, or churches that are destroyed, or the Holocaust that is denied. Let us condemn incitement against Sufi Muslims, and Shia pilgrims. It is time to heed the words of Gandhi: "Intolerance is itself a form of violence and an obstacle to the growth of a true democratic spirit." Together, we must work towards a world where we are strengthened by our differences, and not defined by them. That is what America embodies. That's the vision we will support.

- Collapse -
if only he had been saying it at a $50,000 a plate dinner

Then such radical talk would be A-OK !

Talking trash about other people's religions is bad, m-kay?

Wink

- Collapse -
(NT) So Obama's a Hindu now?
- Collapse -
I've read your post

- Collapse -
I know, right?

The way you took that one sentence out of context and tried to make it sound like something it wasn't. Unbelievable!

Wink

- Collapse -
I took? LOL

I copied this from the source, Obama is UNBELIEVABLE!

- Collapse -
Yes, you

I read the article. They provided links to the full text of his speech, which would have put that sentence into the proper context. I don't know whether you clicked it or not.

Now that you have had a chance to see the sentence in context, what is still "unbelievable" about it? In case you don't feel like scrolling up, here it is again:

The future must not belong to those who target Coptic Christians in Egypt - it must be claimed by those in Tahrir Square who chanted "Muslims, Christians, we are one." The future must not belong to those who bully women - it must be shaped by girls who go to school, and those who stand for a world where our daughters can live their dreams just like our sons. The future must not belong to those corrupt few who steal a country's resources - it must be won by the students and entrepreneurs; workers and business owners who seek a broader prosperity for all people. Those are the women and men that America stands with; theirs is the vision we will support.

The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam. But to be credible, those who condemn that slander must also condemn the hate we see in the images of Jesus Christ that are desecrated, or churches that are destroyed, or the Holocaust that is denied. Let us condemn incitement against Sufi Muslims, and Shia pilgrims. It is time to heed the words of Gandhi: "Intolerance is itself a form of violence and an obstacle to the growth of a true democratic spirit." Together, we must work towards a world where we are strengthened by our differences, and not defined by them. That is what America embodies. That's the vision we will support.

- Collapse -
OMG

I posted enough of it so if anyone wanted to read it they could, I did not pick any specific parts out of it, Josh. Talk about making something out of nothing!

- Collapse -
OMG indeed

You did indeed pick one specific part out of it. You left out most of two whole paragraphs that completely change the meaning of that one sentence. You started this thread trying to make it look like Obama said something awful when he clearly did not.

You may want to just slowly back away at this point.

- Collapse -
Josh, as a former mod

you know as well as I do that you can't take the whole article and post it! Get off your high horse! You think I meant something by this, when all I did was post an excerpt! Done!

- Collapse -
(NT) :)
- Collapse -
Yuh-huh

You can post more than one carefully chosen sentence and you know it.

Now tell us what you found "unbelievable!" about it.

- Collapse -
THIS is one sentence?????

Obama: "The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam"
posted at 2:01 pm on September 25, 2012 by Erika JohnsenPresident Obama addressed the General Assembly of the United Nations in New York on Tuesday morning, and while there were a few moments when he at least talked a good game on free speech, there were also moments that left much to be desired on that same front and on the real nature of the root causes of unrest in the

Next unread

- Collapse -
The quote, yes

Now how about answering my question, or do I need to ask it for a 4th time.

- Collapse -
excuse me?

Now you DEMAND an answer? You know what I think? Can't say it here

- Collapse -
Yeah, I figured you'd try to worm out of it

No prob.

- Collapse -
not backing off...

tired of your attitude! IF you looked at the link like you said you did, you would see that what I did was copy the top part of the article verbatim, I did not hunt through it for that quote, How do I feel? I feel like Obama is leading this country into a decline that we will not recover from, I object to people that are not adherents of Islam being forced to give respect to a religion that calls for the death of all Jews and unbelievers of their hateful religion. Yet nothing is done or said to people that deny Christians the right to their beliefs. Our Bibles can be burned Christians can be tortured and the world goes on as if nothing is wrong with it. I think Obama thinks kissing the butts of these terrorists will win him approval! What is he doing about our Embassy and our Ambassador being killed? Nothing is what I see. Now if that doesn't satisfy you, Tough!

- Collapse -
what?
I object to people that are not adherents of Islam being forced to give respect to a religion that calls for the death of all Jews and unbelievers of their hateful religion. Yet nothing is done or said to people that deny Christians the right to their beliefs. Our Bibles can be burned Christians can be tortured and the world goes on as if nothing is wrong with it.

Who is being forced to give respect?

Who is denying Christians the right to their beliefs?

As for nothing being said to those who disagree with Christians... um, how about a movie that ridicules the beliefs of Islam and its prophet?

Of course the one truth in your comment is that the world will always go on as if nothing happened because the planet is unconcerned with the turmoils of man.

You know... US Christians don't have it anywhere as bad as they complain that they do. They whine about not being able to put up poorly painted old statues of people in a barn on the courthouse square every winter, but you don't see them getting suicide bombed on buses by the people they claim hate them. I tell you what. Become a Coptic Christian and move to Egypt. Become Jewish and move to Tel Aviv. Become Muslim and move to Chechnya or Bosnia.

Obama spoke about the lessons of religious tolerance. Lessons that were obviously lost upon you. My God, Glenda... how can you speak so resentfully about how your President treats your beliefs, when you are blessed to live in a country like the USA? Get some perspective woman. Get some perspective.
- Collapse -
What Grim said, plus.....

.......Islam does not teach that all Jews should be killed. Radicals within Islam do that. Just like radical Christians call for some pretty f'd up things. Despite what you seem to believe, Muslims do not hold a monopoly when it comes to doing terrible things in God's name.

Obama's speech was about religious tolerance and respect for all faiths by all faiths. I fail to see what is objectionable about that.

- Collapse -
Telling the truth about Mohammed

is not slander. The problem is not Mohammed being slandered, but those who are his followers not accepting what's known truthfully about the man, and he WAS just a man. Even though they say they don't worship Mohammed, I'd say their actions about him betray them as worshipping him. I just don't know how anyone can say that recognizing him as a murderer, rapist and pedophile is a slander. Even the Muslims know this about him, but they try to pretend it's something else.

- Collapse -
You'd do well to read Christian Epistemology, and the role

of Constantine in manipulating Christian beliefs to incorporate bits of Mithraism, and associating/supplanting Christ with himself at the time. Not that I think it likely that you'd do the work. Reading things that contradict your view of the world can be so unsettling. Your understanding of the Bible is strictly late 20th Century Evangelical "Fundamentalism", as far removed from the fundamental beliefs of Christians of the 2nd 3rd 4th or 5th centuries as the beliefs of supposed Constitutional Fundamentalists of the 21st Century are from the fundamental principles in the minds of the 18th Century men who formulated the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

Oh, and Constantine? He's the guy who made the Roman Empire into a Christian one. The Battle of the Milvian Bridge against Maxentius (It's still there, I've visited.). The rest of the story is a fiction made up by the Bishop Eusebius at Constantine's request to assert that Constantine saw a vision of the cross, and dreamed of a conversation with God, both items missing in the first edition of Eusebius work on Constantine (while he was still alive) but present in the second edition (Constantine was still alive when it was issued as well) and all subsequent editions.

Rob

- Collapse -
The stench of your ever present arrogance

is disgusting as usual, not to mention your rewriting of history to try and match it's errors. Nobody but you has heard of Constantine. Nobody but you has heard of Mithra. Nobody but you has ever noticed the relationship between certain "Christian" holidays and special days of other religions. Nobody but you has heard of the "cross in the sky" seen by Constantine. Nobody but you thinks it was a concoction for Constantine to gain money and thereby power from Christians, which previously had just been stolen from them. Nobody but you objects to some aspects of Catholicism and it's beliefs. Nobody but you can make a comparison between Catholicism and other Christian groups. Nobody other than you can do all that, because you are so great, in your own mind. My shame is I wasted even this much time answering your post.

- Collapse -
(NT) Bye-Bye Freedon of speech.
- Collapse -
I agree Lyle

"As for nothing being said to those who disagree with Christians... um, how about a movie that ridicules the beliefs of Islam and its prophet?" Quote from Grim.

All of a sudden any one that disagrees with Islam deserves death for making a movie about it. I guess this group in SE forgot all about Salmon Rushdie sp? But If this group could slander the Christhood of Jesus and the Word of God that is A-OK!

- Collapse -
Right, and if you read the comments by the president....

......you saw that he condemned that kind of violence and said that religious respect is a two-way street.

- Collapse -
Did you forget this Israel loving Muslim?
- Collapse -
Nope

What does he have to do with what Obama said, and the way you pulled a single sentence out of it to try to twist his words?

- Collapse -
this.. wake up

.......Islam does not teach that all Jews should be killed. Radicals within Islam do that. Just like radical Christians call for some pretty f'd up things. Despite what you seem to believe, Muslims do not hold a monopoly when it comes to doing terrible things in God's name.

- Collapse -
OK, you quoted me

Why?

And I'll try one more time, perhaps because there's a bit of masochist in me:

Reading Obama's complete statement, with that one sentence in context, what about it was "unbelievable?"

- Collapse -
(NT) Out of context, and out of your mind. Rob

CNET Forums