Computer Help forum

Question

Unauthorized BIOS Update Attempted?

by last_chance_f / June 10, 2011 9:52 AM PDT

For the past few weeks now, whenever I turn on my (desktop) computer, I have been getting the error "0198: System Security - Unauthorized BIOS update attempted." I am then given the option to press F1 to go to setup or F2 to resume. If I press F2, sometimes the computer boots to Windows (XP) but sometimes it just seems to hang: the screen stays black and I can't hear the fans or anything moving.

Help? As far as I know, I haven't done anything with the BIOS. What's going on?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unauthorized BIOS Update Attempted?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unauthorized BIOS Update Attempted?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Error code
by Willy / June 10, 2011 9:37 PM PDT

What maybe interpreted as a bios update maybe more of a bios change in status. One common fault is a weak CMOS battery. Replacing that and then actually enter the bios area to configure(verify) the bios as it should be. You will want to note down any bios setting in order to return them as they were. Replacing the battery itself will return to default setting but you need to verify what's proper. The battery replacement is a simple process but having no idea of the bios setup will lean on you. Since, you're running XP suggests an older PC which reflects possible old battery. It appears the F1 key allows you to enter the bios area. If you haven't ever changed the battery and its been several yrs. gone by, its time. Of course, you need to understand the bios setting, review manual and/or d/w the docs(manual) from maker from their support website.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Did you check prior discussions?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2011 10:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
Obviously
by last_chance_f / June 10, 2011 10:30 AM PDT

Obviously I have already run this google search.

The first hit I get is about someone with password problems. One hit says to check that my mouse and keyboard are plugged in (they are). Some hits include a bunch of other errors I do not get about date and time settings/configuration errors/configuration changes. One post is about something that happens after a battery is replaced (I haven't been near any batteries). All the other hits seem to be in Chinese and Japanese which I do not read.

If there is a specific hit you're getting which addresses my precise issue, by all means, link directly to it. However, I'm personally not seeing anything that fits my problem.

Collapse -
This is why I asked.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2011 2:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Obviously

Since I see it matching your issue, you may want to try the usual cmos battery replacement since that's cheaper than what we change next.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!