Computer Help forum

General discussion

UNATTENDED ACTIVITY ON COMPUTER

by jakkiwebb / March 3, 2005 11:30 PM PST

My home computer has been acting very weird lately. I have a screensaver loaded for unattended use (which is just a blank screen). At intervals while the computer is on, the screen will come on, the hour glass will be running (although no program is activated). My question is do I currently have a "ghost" in my home or has my computer been inadvertently hacked into?

Help!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UNATTENDED ACTIVITY ON COMPUTER
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UNATTENDED ACTIVITY ON COMPUTER
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Use Internet Explorer? Welcome to Spyware!
by Yew / March 3, 2005 11:55 PM PST

If you use Interent Explorer, consider this your initiation to the wonderful world of spyware.

You get to do all sorts of fun activities as a result, which includes learning all about spyware -- what it is, what it does, and how to clean it up. Then, if you're smart, you find an alternative to Internet Explorer to use on a regular basis.

Collapse -
Jakki, I've Seen That Happen...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 4, 2005 7:35 AM PST

...when there was a "sticky" mouse button....In my case, the user had dropped food particles on the keyboard and mouse and it would occasionally disengage the screen saver...Replacing the mouse fixed the issue.

Following Yewanchor's suggestion, have you checked the machine for spyware and viruses. In order to get a "second opinion", please click on either, or both of the links below and run the free online virus scans that they provide:

Housecall Online Scanner

Panda Online Scanner

After that, download, install, update, then run ALL of the free spyware removal tools from the links below:

Ad-Aware

Collapse -
VIRUS SCANS/DOWNLOADS
by jakkiwebb / March 5, 2005 12:09 AM PST

Thanks so much for your help. I am in the process of downloading the 3 spyware removal tools you supplied. Previously had Ad-Aware and Spybot but removed them both. I started having problems with my computer AFTER I previously downloaded. At this point I am willing to try other suggestions. Tried using Housecall and Panda but the virus scans did not work on my computer, therefore I proceeded to the downloads. So far Ad-Aware found 94 spyware, advare, and malware. I guess this time around I will leave them resident on my computer.

Again, thanks ever so much for your help. I will let you know if all of the above work, or either my "ghost" wants to remain.

Jakki

Collapse -
and you could have some utility...
by reefurbb / March 4, 2005 9:52 PM PST

that updates every few hours. Or you could be going into power saving mode (except monitor).
Screensavers were originally designed to vary useage of the monitor screen so it wouldn't "burn in" some still image. Now they are just a toy.
Can't imagine why you'd use a blank screen?

Collapse -
BLANK SCREEN USAGE
by jakkiwebb / March 5, 2005 12:01 AM PST

I use a blank screen on my home computer because my computer is located in my bedroom and occassionally I may leave the computer on overnight, especially if I plan on doing/checking something before going into work. In any event, during the night I do not want any screensaver image to distract me say when I turn over while sleeping, hence, the blank screensaver. It works for me.

Collapse -
Why not turn it off?
by Yew / March 5, 2005 1:39 AM PST
In reply to: BLANK SCREEN USAGE

If the light bothers you, and you know you're going to be going to sleep, why not simply turn the monitor off? Granted the power savings tend to be insignificant between low power and off (usually less than 10W with a decent monitor), but the whole time you've got that blank screen screen saver going the monitor is in full power mode. Depending on the size of the monitor, that can be anywhere from say 120-200W for CRTs, and 50-90W for LCDs. That's a lot of energy to use for just showing a blank screen when you know you're going to be going to sleep.

Ultimately it's your utility bill, so the choice is yours, but I'd suggest just turning the thing off at night.

Collapse -
TURNING OFF MONITOR
by jakkiwebb / March 5, 2005 5:14 AM PST
In reply to: Why not turn it off?

The problem I was experiencing did make me start to turn the monitor off at night but that did not alleviate the problem I was having. That has been solved by Grif. In the course of today I have not had the monitor constantly coming on with no one activating it. As you and he previously mentioned, perhaps I had spyware. I thank you all for your help. The problem has been solved.

Jakki

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.