HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Unable to view the System volume information

by vraju040 / October 26, 2008 3:14 PM PDT

I am using windows Xp SP2 on my machine. Recently i am getting a problem that my operating system drive is showing low disk space frequently. But there are no major softwares installeed on that drive. I am trying to clear the system volume information data init. But i am unable to view that even after chechking out from the folder options. Please give me solution as soon as possible.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to view the System volume information
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to view the System volume information
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
you can't
by mementh / October 26, 2008 3:19 PM PDT

its a directory that your not supposed to go into no matter what..

sorry man

Collapse -
If Machine Is Generally Running Well...
by tobeach / October 26, 2008 4:05 PM PDT

you can delete your existing SR Points (which can be 12 of HD reserved).
After you can manually set a first new one. Your previous points will be permanently GONE! Here's how:

Open System Restore>left side "settings"> put check mark in box for "Turn off SR on all drives" apply & ok.

I find personally, that I can operate well w/ SR setting reduced to only 3% of HD (12% is default). You can use the slider bar to reduce to say 6% and see if that works OK for you. To Do, high-light monitored drive ( C: ?)click settings button.

Then open system restore again and REMOVE check mark if Turn Off box. apply & OK. You may receive pop-up saying "do you wish to create SR point now" say YES.

Note IF you have more than 1 drive being monitored by SR, suggest you disable SR on non-OS drive. There is an old bug in SR when monitoring more than 1 Drive.

You may also wish to see following post re:recovering some free space:
Post #4 of 6: http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=313836&messageID=2892325&tag=forums06;forum-threads
Good Luck!! Happy

Collapse -
Had 29.5 GB free on my HDD
by Darrell / October 27, 2008 1:46 PM PDT

There are other items that could lose of space. Right click computer to open and go to properties.You may find that you have History listed as 20 days. I dropped that to 0. I did turn off system restore since I had Ad-Aware 2008. Used www.defraggler.com to defrag since all parts were missing [system restore] and now had 32.3 GB. Ran Ad-Aware and when it was time to turn on System restore, set it to 200 MB. Now I set a restore point with Ad-Aware.
Othe items I found that were large is Disk Cleanup and compressed Files is set to 50 days - now it is 3 days. On tthe far side of Internet Options is Advanced Tab and under Security is a box I check to delete Temporary internet Files when I close my browser. Explore, there are Temporary Documents or Recent that should be deleted. I use www.ccleaner.com to keep my Registry clean - I unchecked any applications to leave then untouched. Darrell L

Collapse -
Tell us more
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 27, 2008 10:02 PM PDT

Tell us more about this computer. Make, Model, system specs, including hard disk capacity and hard disk free space remaining.

When do you get this warning, and what is the exact message?

For starters, try Disk Cleanup, (Start > All programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup). After it makes an initial check on compressed files, which may take a short while, a window will display where you can see what files are available to be deleted. In the other tab, (called More Options, I believe), you can also select to remove all but the latest System Restore point. Do that if your system is working well otherwise, and see if that helps you regain some space.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.