Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Unable to view http in IE7

by SSNightShadow / February 7, 2009 1:12 PM PST

I'm not able to view any http pages with IE7, although I can view https just fine. I'm currently using Mozilla Firefox to access web pages and am having no problems. My operating system is XP sp2. My antivirus is McAfee and is all up to date and my pc scans clean.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to view http in IE7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to view http in IE7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First step
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 7, 2009 9:04 PM PST

See if any IE add-ons are blocking access by starting IE with no add-ons installed.

Find your IE7 icon on your Desktop, right click it, and select "Start without Add-ons". Then try surfing with that. Many web sites now use add-ons such as ActiveX, etc to display content, so any web site you can see that uses them may have some elements missing, but it may prove a point.

If you are able to surf http sites in this mode, then it shows that a bad BHO, (Browser Helper Object), ActiveX, or 3rd party toolbar is causing the problem. You can then restart IE, goto Tools > Manage Add-ons, and start the process of elimination by disabling one, trying it out, and seeing what happens.

Mark

Collapse -
by SSNightShadow / February 8, 2009 2:50 AM PST
In reply to: First step

Thank you for the info Mark.
I've tried what you suggested and am still unable to view any http pages. But like I said the secure https pages load up just fine. I went ahead and uninstalled IE7, downloaded a fresh version (2 hours on dial up, ugh!) and re-installed it, but am still having the same issues. I'm lost as to what to do next. Could it be something in XP and not with IE?

Collapse -
I wouldn't have thought so
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 8, 2009 4:36 AM PST

I wouldn't have thought it was the XP OS, because that would most probably affect Firefox as well.

I have a couple of thoughts, but to be honest I am a little stumped.

1] In IE7 Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab. Scroll down to HTTP 1.1 settings.

In my IE7 I have ticked the first box, "Use HTTP 1.1" but unticked Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections.

Next section down "International" I have boxes 2, 4 and 5 ticked only.

Under Security, scroll down to Use SSL 2.0 unticked. Use SSl 3.0 ticked, and Use TLS 1.0 ticked.

If none of those work, then try Resetting IE7 to default. The Reset button in the Advanced tab will do that, but you will lose all web site passwords IE holds, and all cookies, favorites, history, etc.

2] I note you use McAfee. I haven't used it myself, but if it includes a firewall, has it had its permissions changed for IE? It may be preventing IE from connecting to non-secure sites.

Mark

Collapse -
Well that didn't work either.....
by SSNightShadow / February 8, 2009 5:35 AM PST

Went through and adjusted my settings per your suggestions. Closed and opened IE again and still got nothing. I then went ahead and reset the settings to default. No change.
I checked the permissions in McAfee and IE is set to full access, so there are no changes there.
It looks as though I may have to do a system restore, which I was hoping to avoid, but at this point I can't see any other option. I've been at this all week.

Collapse -
Hold on for a bit
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 8, 2009 5:37 AM PST

I am seeking help from my co-Mods.

They are all much cleverer than me, Happy

You can use FF for now?

Mark

Collapse -
I'll hold tight....
by SSNightShadow / February 8, 2009 8:03 AM PST
In reply to: Hold on for a bit

I haven't done the system restore yet. Still hoping that I don't have to. I'll wait to see if you can come up with something else. I really do appreciate your help....ALOT!

Collapse -
In the meantime...
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 8, 2009 8:01 PM PST
In reply to: I'll hold tight....

Whilst we are waiting I have read again these posts, and although you said that you are unable to open http sites in IE7, I'm not sure what happens when you try.

What happens wen you try to open, say, http://www.google.com? Are any messages displayed, and if so, what do they say?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Can you Ping www.google.com from a command prompt? The command prompt is Window's version of DOS, and is obtainable from the Start menu > All programs > Accessories > Command prompt. A small window will open with a black screen.

Ping is a device that sends a bit of data, and waits for a reply, a bit like a sonar device in a submarine.

If you open your command prompt and type in ping www.google.com and press Enter, do you get any replies? (The space between ping and www.google.com is important).There should be 4 attempts, and each reply should give a time taken for the reply in milliseconds.

{Google has a special web site for accepting ping requests, and when we send a ping to www.google.com, the command prompt screen shows that we are pinging www.1.google.com instead}.

If the ping fails, let me know what the display says.

When we ping a www. address, that address is converted to DNS numbers which, for Google, is 64.233.183.104

What happens if you now open IE7, and in the address bar type in http://64.233.183.104 and press Enter? When I do that I get the Google search page.

To close the command prompt, type in exit and press Enter.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How do you connect to the internet? I note you said on dial-up, but do you use a router as well? It would be unusual if you did.

Do you use any web site protection software, like Peer Guardian? I see from my own research that Peer Guardian can block http web sites. A Phoenix Labs Wiki article here tells me.

I know you said you have scanned with McAfee, but in case this is a different kind of malware, can you download, install, open, update, and scan with another anti-malware utility called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, (MBAM)? You can download the free version from http://malwarebytes.org/.

Use that if you can, and see if it finds anything.

Let us know how you get on.

Mark

Collapse -
Thank You!!
by SSNightShadow / February 9, 2009 10:39 AM PST
In reply to: In the meantime...

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help in this matter.
To your first ? this is the error message I get when I try to open an http page, www.google.com for instance:

"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
Check your Internet connection. Try visiting another website to make sure you are connected.

Retype the address.

Go back to the previous page.

More information"

If I try to type in www.google.com into the address bar I get the following message:
"The address is not valid

Most likely causes:
There might be a typing error in the address.
If you clicked on a link, it may be out of date.

What you can try:
Retype the address.

Go back to the previous page."
Then the address bar shows http:///

I pinged Google using the command prompt and I think all looked good. I went ahead and copied what was displayed on the screen as I'm not real sure at what I'm looking at here, as follows:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
<C> Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Document and Settings\Sandi>ping www.google.com

Pinging www.1.google.com [74.125.47.104] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 74.125.47.104: bytes=32 time=227ms TTL=242
Reply from 74.125.47.104: bytes=32 time=259ms TTL=241
Reply from 74.125.47.104: bytes=32 time=235ms TTL=242
Reply from 74.125.47.104: bytes=32 time=234ms TTL=242

Ping statistics for 74.125.47.104:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 <0% loss>,
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 227ms, Maximum = 259ms, Average = 238ms

C:\Document and Settings\Sandi>

When I type http://64.233.183.104 in IE address bar I get my favorite, frustrating error.

Unfortunately I connect to the internet using dial-up and a modem. I have peoplepc ( I know, dont' laugh, I'm cheap) I thought it was them but I also have another dial-up connection through TurboUSA and have gotten the same results with both isp's.

I am currently in the process of downloading MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. So I'm going to try to install and run that program and I will let you know if I have any luck with that.

Keep your fingers crossed (I know I am)

Sandi

Collapse -
No luck yet......
by SSNightShadow / February 9, 2009 11:15 AM PST
In reply to: Thank You!!

I downloaded and scanned with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

I did the quick scan and it came back clean. I think I'm going to go to dinner and scan a full scan and see what happens there.

I did try to update the program and it said it wasn't able to do it because I wasn't connected to the internet, although I was. I don't know if it needs IE to update or not?

Anyway I've copied the log of the quick scan and have included it here.

I'll let you know if the full scan reveals more. I'm to the point that I'm hoping it does, at least I'll know what is going on.

Once again, let me say Thank you! I'm glad there are people out there willing to help us less technical folks.

Sandi

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.33
Database version: 1654
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

2/9/2009 7:16:20 PM
mbam-log-2009-02-09 (19-16-19).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 60758
Time elapsed: 25 minute(s), 32 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Collapse -
I'm still seeking ideas
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 9, 2009 7:23 PM PST
In reply to: No luck yet......

Hi Sandi.

I'm still seeking any other ideas, but like you I am stumped.

Can I ask, when did this start, and what happened when it did? I mean, did you install or uninstall anything shortly before, or did anything significant, (or even seemingly insignificant), occur on the computer?

You mentioned trying System Restore, but does that mean you have a date, (System Restore point), to go back to, to just before this started? If so, why was that System Restore point created initially?

I think if I get no other ideas, (from my head that is now hurting, Happy or from elsewhere), in the next few days, I may have to agree with you to try System Restore. The good thing about System Restore is that a restore can be reversed if it causes more problems than it solves, and of course, no personal files are affected.

Two more questions;

1] I note you are using XP with SP2. Is there any reason you have not yet upgraded to SP3, other than having a slower dial-up connection?

2] Do you have a Home Page in IE7, and if so, does that display correctly? Is it the same Home Page in Firefox?

3] (Yes I know I said only two more questions. I lied!), Do you use any other anti-malware utilities, like anti-spyware such as Spybot Search & Destroy, or SpywareBlaster, or similar? And have you used any registry optimizers recently?

Mark

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / February 9, 2009 10:10 PM PST

1. Download and follow the instructions for "IEFix" - a general purpose fix for Internet Explorer (Win 98/ME/2000/XP) which:

a. Registers Urlmon.dll, Mshtml.dll, Actxprxy.dll, Oleaut32.dll, Shell32.dll, Shdocvw.dll, [Q281679].

b. Refreshes Internet Explorer using IE.INF method -- two additional notes FYI:

? "Unable to Install Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP (Q304872)"

? "How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP (Q318378)"

c. Initiates "SFC /Scannow" (Win2K&XP), [Q310747].

Caveat: Using IEFix myself, the utility does not suggest or require a reboot but I do suggest that you do. In addition, if an extra icon for IE is located on the Desktop afterwards you may delete it.

Note: Else, some of the core Internet Explorer "?.dll files" may not be correctly registered or need registering. First, verify the exact path of where the Iexplore.exe file is found and used as noted for this example. Second, click Start, Run, type exactly "(Hard Drive Letter):\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" /rereg and then either click OK or press Enter.

2. Reinstalling otherwise:

a. First, be familiar with "Information About Internet Explorer Setup (Q256340)". Second, click Start, Search, All Files and Folders, More Advanced Options, enter a check in Search Hidden Files and Folders, Search System Folders, and Search Subfolders. Type ie.inf in All or Part of the File Name box, select C: in the Look In drop-down menu or the letter of the hard drive containing the Windows folder, and then click the Search button. Find the file labeled ie.inf in the result pane. Right-click this file and then from the context menu, select Install.

b. The article [Q304872] states that when you try to install IE6, you may receive an error message that can occur if it has already been installed and the installation package does not contain any new customizations -- a customized versions of Internet Explorer 6 that was created by an Internet service provider, Internet content provider, or a corporate administrator that is installed instead of the default browser.

c. "How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP (Q318378)."

3. Fixing connectivity/WinSock problems:

a. WinSock XP Fix offers a last resort if your Internet connectivity has been corrupted due to invalid or removed registry entries. It can often cure the problem of lost connections after the removal of Adware components or improper uninstall of firewall applications or other tools that modify the XP network and Winsock settings. If you encounter connection problems after removing network related software, Adware or after registry clean-up; and all other ways fail, then "download" and give WinSock XP Fix a try, a 1,412kb file. It can create a registry backup of your current settings, so it is fairly safe to use.

b. "LSP-Fix" is a free utility that may be downloaded to repair certain problems associated with Internet software when you can no longer access Web sites due to bugs in the LSP software or deletion of software. LSP-Fix repairs the Winsock LSP chain by removing the entries left behind when LSP software is removed by hand (or when errors in the software itself break the LSP chain), and removing any gaps in the chain.

Collapse -
In addition...
by John.Wilkinson / February 10, 2009 5:38 AM PST

I wonder if this could be a latency issue given your ping test. (If a response is not received within a certain timeframe, measured in milliseconds, your browser will report the page cannot be displayed.) 238ms should not exceed the window, but you may want to make the registry modifications as described in this Microsoft KB article and see if that helps, provided CursorCowboy's excellent advice does not do the trick.

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
Nice to see you back
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 10, 2009 7:46 PM PST

Good to see you again Cursorcowboy.

And thanks for the IEFix idea. I had clean forgotten about that.

And John's suggestion seems worth a try if all else fails.

Mark

Collapse -
Hello
by SSNightShadow / February 12, 2009 11:01 AM PST
In reply to: Nice to see you back

Hi Mark,

Sorry for the delay in responding. Life been busy, I'm sure you know how it goes.
Let me go through your questions 1 at a time.

I noticed this on 2/2. On 1/31 I installed TaxCut software from a disk. I updated it and also downloaded and updated the state program from within the taxcut program. That evening my son prepared his taxes and filed an efile, still from within the program. I did not get online on 2/1 although my daughter did, but she uses firefox and didn't notice a problem, that's not to say that there wasn't one at that time. When I went online on the 2nd, that is when my IE wasn't working anymore.
As far as the system restore. There was a restore point created when I installed taxcut. I looked at it when I first started this thread and it was there. Yesterday I looked for it and now when I try to click on the arrow to take me back to the previous month, nothing happens. I do have a couple restore points from this week from downloading the IEfix and MalwareBytes.
I've tried to install sp3 and 3/4 of the way through the install I get an error message that it couldn't be completed, access denied. I've researched that message on the web but I'm not real sure how to take care of that yet.
I have spybot on my system but it isn't working either. I did download a program called regcure but haven't ran it as I'm a bit nervous that it will mess up my pc even more.

At this point I'm thinking that I have a virus or something and I just can't find it.
I've downloaded HiJackThis but not real sure of the best place to post for someone to decipher the log.
I am thoroughly and completely frustrated. :o(

Thank you all for trying to help me.

Sandi

Collapse -
If I may butt in for a spell...
by Carol~ Moderator / February 12, 2009 12:37 PM PST
In reply to: Hello

Sandi..

I've been following your thread with interest. I noticed you recently wrote, "I did download a program called regcure but haven't ran it as I'm a bit nervous that it will mess up my pc even more." In my opinion, you have a reason to be nervous. I would ask you read the below, before making a decison to run it.

If you do a search (at the top of the page) for "RegCure", you'll find quite a few threads and posts where user's have expressed their (mostly negative) opinions and experiences with RegCure. Only a couple of which are:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6121_102-0.html?forumID=45&threadID=230703&messageID=2387276&tag=posts;tree#2387276

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=217212&messageID=2315697&tag=posts;tree#2315697
(If you get "Page Not Found", when trying to access the above thread, try again. It's a long thread and sometimes takes a couple of tries)

You may also want to read through some of the 19 pages of complaints below, before making your decision.

"RegCure Software Complaints - Regcure Software killed my PC!"

Sandi, I have no personal grudges against ParetoLogic, nor have I ever used their software. It's only that I've read far too many complaints and don't feel the risk is worth it. It's also not going to "cure" what ails you.

With my 4

Collapse -
Time to step back and recap.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 13, 2009 4:55 AM PST

We're getting loads of responses now. Happy

Windows XP SP2, (no SP3 yet), McAfee anti-virus and (I believe), firewall. No viruses found.

Firefox works fine, but IE7 will not display normal http pages. It will display https pages without problems. Error page displayed "Internet Explorer cannt display the web page", with a list of possible causes.

What we have tried so far;

1] See if IE7 in "No Add-ons" mode allows http to be displayed. No.

2] Checked IE settings, eg using HTTP 1.1, etc. No change.

3] Reset IE7 to default, removing all add-ons, BHO's, Toolbars, (and in the process removing all IE web page passwords, cookies, history and Temporary Internet Files), by using the "Reset" button in IE > Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab. No change, still cannot view IE7.

4] Uninstalled IE7 and re-installed. No change.

5] Is this an XP problem, and not just an IE problem? I said, (perhaps rashly), I would not have thought so.

6] Checked McAfee firewall settings. IE has full permission to access the internet.

7] Decided to try System Restore, but pursuaded by me, (perhaps rashly), to hold off for a while.

{I never knew I was so rash!}

Cool Ping works, but typing the IP address into the IE7 address bar, eg http://64.233.183.104 doesn't work.

9] Is any web protection software used, eg Peer Guardian, which is known to have options to block http access?

10] Download, install, update and scan with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. No malware found.

11] Ping response time 'may be' a little on the long side. so see if modifying the reistry as per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813827 makes any difference. (John Wilkinson)

12] MalwareBytes would not update. Error message, "Not connected to the internet" Is that a clue? But this is a dial-up connection, so response times may be affected.

13] When did this problem start? On Feb 2nd. On Jan 31 TaxCut software was installed from a disk. The installed software was updated from within the software. Is there anything in this TaxCut software that is preventing access? Perhaps check its Options.

14] System Restore point was created when TaxCut was installed, but attempting to find that point in the System Restore calendar and nothing is there.

15] SP3 was not installed because when it was attempted, error message displayed that it could not be completed. Access Denied? Malware issue?

16] Spybot installed but not working.

17] Regcure installed, but advice is not to use it.

18] IEFix, Wnsock XP Fix, LSP-Fix tried, but not successful, (Cursorcowboy).

{Note how I quote the names of others in order to deflect attention away from me? Carol is next!}.

19] It was Carol who said not to trust RegCure. But I wholeheartedly agree.

Sandi can you review that, and see if there is anything I have missed or got wrong, and also if there is anything you may have missed?

More things to try;

A) IE6. If your Internet Explorer was upgraded from IE6 to IE7, then you will still have IE6 on your system. Of a sort. It can be found in the C:\Windows\ie7 folder and is called iexplore.exe . If you can find that and double click it to open it, see if you can browser http pages from there.

B) Any other "Advanced" settings in the McAfee firewall? Perhaps there is some specific setting that is holding back IE7 loading http pages.

C) Does the IE7 status bar show anything about connecting, waiting for reply, etc? In my IE7, when I connect to a site lie Google, or these CNET pages, the status bar, (bottom left of the IE window), says "Waiting for.....". What messages do you see?

D) Try uninstalling the TaxCut software? I hestitate to suggest it, but we're getting close to desperation now I feel.

E) Have you had any problems accessing any files on the computer? That Access Denied message from when you attempted to install SP3 could be significant.

F) HiJackThis. Before uninstalling that software, run the HiJackThis software and post the log here. I don't know that much about HJT logs, but I can have a look for the obvious. The HJT program file should be held in it's own HJT folder, on the C drive, (that is, not in any other folder like Windows, or Program files, etc).

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
Recap.....
by SSNightShadow / February 13, 2009 1:29 PM PST

First let me say Thank You to Carol. I'm so glad that I didn't run that program. I'm having enough issues without that as well. I've uninstalled it. I appreciate your advice and your direction to the complaints.

Mark,
Your recap is right on the money. Let me respond to a couple.

9] Is any web protection software used, eg Peer Guardian, which is known to have options to block http access?
No, I thought that the firewall that I use with McAfee was enough to keep me protected. I keep the program set to automatic updates and it updates daily (almost). My normal security level is set to tight. I never had issues with that setting. I've tried setting it to medium and still get the same results with IE. Don't laugh, but I'm not real sure what exactly web protection software is.

13] When did this problem start? On Feb 2nd. On Jan 31 TaxCut software was installed from a disk. The installed software was updated from within the software. Is there anything in this TaxCut software that is preventing access? Perhaps check its Options.
The only options available in the TaxCut software program is to set the proxy servers. It it currently set to use the system settings: HTTP, Localhost, port8080. The other options within that window are as follows:
Disable proxy settings
Use the system automatic proxy configuration script (box is blank)
Use system settings (http box:Localhost, port8080/https box: blank)
Use proxies from TaxCut settings( both http and https boxes are blank)
I've selected each one, 1 at a time and tried to open IE and still get the same error page.

A) IE6. If your Internet Explorer was upgraded from IE6 to IE7, then you will still have IE6 on your system. Of a sort. It can be found in the C:\Windows\ie7 folder and is called iexplore.exe . If you can find that and double click it to open it, see if you can browser http pages from there.
I found this inside the ie7 folder, clicked on it and guess what? It still didn't work. grrr!

B) Any other "Advanced" settings in the McAfee firewall? Perhaps there is some specific setting that is holding back IE7 loading http pages.
I've searched and searched through the McAfee program and don't see anything that could be restricting my access to http pages. I haven't tried to disable the firewall and then try, I'm chicken, LOL, paranoid that someone will get me while my defenses are down. Should I try that?

C) Does the IE7 status bar show anything about connecting, waiting for reply, etc? In my IE7, when I connect to a site lie Google, or these CNET pages, the status bar, (bottom left of the IE window), says "Waiting for.....". What messages do you see?
The status bar: first message: "connecting to site 127.0.0.1" then switches to:"res://ieframe.dll/dnserrordiagoff.htm" (i think that is what it is, it is only there for a split second and then it shows "done".

E) Have you had any problems accessing any files on the computer? That Access Denied message from when you attempted to install SP3 could be significant.
My files seem to open fine, at least any I've tried. Although yesterday and today, I can't update McAfee antivirus. While trying to update, an error message popped up saying to reinstall the program.

Ok, I think I answered all. The only thing I haven't done yet it to uninstall TaxCut. Both of my kids have done their taxes with it, so I need to figure out how to save their info before I do. But it probably will be something I'll have to try.

Since this is a long post, I will run the HiJackThis program and post a log in another post. Maybe you can see something that I can't.
Oh and one other thing, the other night I ran a full scan of the MalWareByte and the scan came back clean.

Sandi

Collapse -
The HiJackThis log....
by SSNightShadow / February 13, 2009 1:39 PM PST
In reply to: Recap.....

Ok, here's the log

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 9:45:55 PM, on 2/13/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16791)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 5.0\PhotoshopElementsFileAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcmscsvc.exe
c:\program files\common files\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\McShield.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\carpserv.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\AccessDirect\dadapp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\msc\mcuimgr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
C:\Program Files\PeoplePC\ISP6530\Browser\Bartshel.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\PeoplePC\ISP6530\Browser\PPShared.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\msc\mcupdui.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Sandi\My Documents\Downloads\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.allvantage.com/myvantage.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=localhost:8080
O2 - BHO: EarthLink BHO Guard - {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000002} - C:\Program Files\PeoplePC\Toolbar\ScamGrd.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: EarthLink ScamBlocker V3 - {15F4D456-5BAA-4076-8486-EECB38CD3E57} - C:\Program Files\PeoplePC\Toolbar\ScamGrd.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: scriptproxy - {7DB2D5A0-7241-4E79-B68D-6309F01C5231} - C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\scriptsn.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.0.926.3450\swg.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {A8FB8EB3-183B-4598-924D-86F0E5E37085} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CARPService] carpserv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DadApp] C:\Program Files\Dell\AccessDirect\dadapp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDSentry] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LXBYCATS] rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\LXBYtime.dll,_RunDLLEntry@16
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mcagent_exe] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe /runkey
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DelayShred] "C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSHR\ShrCL.EXE" /P5 /q C:\DOCUME~1\Sandi\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\YMMU4Q7H\IEPNGF~1.SH! C:\DOCUME~1\Sandi\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\SCHNF6SL\HOME_S~1.SH! C:\DOCUME~1\Sandi\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\SCHNF6SL\HOME_1~1.SH! C:\DOCUME~1\Sandi\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\Z0MDMSY6\HOME_M~1.SH! C:\DOCUME~1\Sandi\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\Z0MDMSY6\HOME_L~1.SH! C:\DOCUME~1\Sandi\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\YMMU4Q7H\CALX_1~1.SH! C:\DOCUME~1\Sandi\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\YMMU4Q7H\HOME_1~1.SH! C:\DOCUME~1\Sandi\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\Z0MDMSY6\HOME_M~3.SH! C:\DOCUME~1\Sandi\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\YMMU4Q7H\HOME_S~1.SH! C:\DOCUME~1\Sandi\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\Content.IE5\SCHNF6SL\APP_1_~1.SH!
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [Picasa Media Detector] C:\Program Files\Picasa2\PicasaMediaDetector.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [Picasa Media Detector] C:\Program Files\Picasa2\PicasaMediaDetector.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://*.mcafee.com
O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} - http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/pcpitstop.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{4BB91B0A-C890-4A91-8369-2DF44DD44EEA}: NameServer = 209.244.0.3 209.244.0.4
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Adobe Active File Monitor V5 (AdobeActiveFileMonitor5.0) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 5.0\PhotoshopElementsFileAgent.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: lxby_device - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\lxbycoms.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Services (mcmscsvc) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcmscsvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Network Agent (McNASvc) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\program files\common files\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Scanner (McODS) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcods.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Proxy Service (McProxy) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Real-time Scanner (McShield) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\McShield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SystemGuards (McSysmon) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
O23 - Service: Roxio UPnP Renderer 9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Roxio\Digital Home 9\RoxioUPnPRenderer9.exe
O23 - Service: Roxio Upnp Server 9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Roxio\Digital Home 9\RoxioUpnpService9.exe
O23 - Service: LiveShare P2P Server 9 (RoxLiveShare9) - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxLiveShare9.exe
O23 - Service: RoxMediaDB9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxMediaDB9.exe
O23 - Service: Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 9 (RoxWatch9) - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatch9.exe

--
End of file - 8004 bytes

Collapse -
I see your problem...
by John.Wilkinson / February 13, 2009 4:17 PM PST
In reply to: Recap.....

That's good news. Happy

In short, Internet Explorer is currently set to connect to the internet via a proxy, which is set to 127.0.0.1, also referred to as Localhost, which is a self-reference to your own computer. If you try connecting to google.com (or any other website) your browser will query your own computer for the website instead of reaching out to the internet. Thus, it will always fail. This most likely was changed by TaxCut, though removing it would likely not resolve the problem. (Note, though, that removing TaxCut should also not delete any work performed with it.)

The easiest fix may be to use HiJackThis to delete ("fix") the following two entries:
1.) R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=localhost:8080
2.) O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{4BB91B0A-C890-4A91-8369-2DF44DD44EEA}: NameServer = 209.244.0.3 209.244.0.4

Make sure Internet Explorer is not running when you run HiJackThis to delete those two entries, then launch Internet Explorer and see if the problem is resolved. If not, there are other ways of resolving the issue, but at least it looks like the cause has been discovered.

Regards,
John

P.S. 'Web protection software' is a term for software designed to protect children online by blocking potentially offensive content, logging what they do, restricting access during certain times, etc. Such functionality is included in the McAfee Internet Security suite, but is available from other companies as stand-alone software as well.

Collapse -
Yep I agree.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 13, 2009 8:18 PM PST
In reply to: I see your problem...

As soon as I saw Sandi's note about the IE Status bar, ie;

"The status bar: first message: "connecting to site 127.0.0.1" then switches to:"res://ieframe.dll/dnserrordiagoff.htm" (i think that is what it is, it is only there for a split second and then it shows "done"."

then I could see that IE is attempting to load http web sites 'from the local computer' itself. So I agree John's analysis.

I wouldn't have picked up on the 017 entry, except that running the HJT log through HiJackThis log analyzer showed that it was something that needed fixing.

John. One thing that concerns me, not just about Sandi's system but in general about IE7. I suggested to Sandi that she reset IE7 back to default in Internet Options > Advanced tab, Reset button. As I understood this, it would remove all BHO's, Add-ons, Toolbars, etc, from IE7 and return it to a pristine state. Clearly from the HJT log with all these 02 and 03 entries this didn't happen.

Am I in error with my understanding of this Reset button?

Sandi, I hope John's analysis works for you. Let us know.

Mark

Collapse -
It does not reset everything...
by John.Wilkinson / February 13, 2009 11:41 PM PST
In reply to: Yep I agree.

The general assumption is that it resets all settings in Internet Explorer, but that's (unfortunately) not the case, for various reasons. Internet connection settings, for instance, are not restored as they are considered to be maintained by the OS, Content Advisor settings are not restored because it is a security feature, etc. Here's the full list, provided by Microsoft, of settings which remain unchanged:

-> Favorites
-> Feeds
-> Content Advisor settings
-> Pre-approved ActiveX controls
-> Temporary Internet file (cache) path settings
-> Certificate information
-> Internet Programs (e‑mail, instant messenger, and other programs associated with Internet use)
-> Internet connection, proxy, and VPN settings
-> Default web browser setting
-> Toolbars are not restored

A note on toolbars: Third-party toolbars and BHOs are disabled; They just mean the default position and organization of the original toolbars are not restored if changed by the user.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
HJT fix didn't work....
by SSNightShadow / February 14, 2009 6:19 AM PST
In reply to: I see your problem...

Thank you all for keeping up on this thread and for your input.

CursorCowboy:
Read though those articles and ran SFC. It seemed to run fine,
showed the progress and then closed. Nothing came up afterwards so I
assume that all was ok? I do think that once I figure out how to get the SP3 update to work and before I do, I will uninstall IE7 and reinstall after I'm done.

John and Mark,
Let me tell you what I did and what happened.
First thing I did was create a restore point before I did anything
with HJT. Just in case.
I ran another scan and checked the 2 boxes that you suggested,
opened up ie and still got the same error page, same message in the
status bar.
When I went to reply to this thread in firefox, firefox wouldn't
work. The message I got was Server not found. I opened up HJT and
restored first the R1 message, tried firefox again with no luck,
then restored the O17, again with no luck. So I preformed the system
restore that I created earlier. Firefox was working again after
that.
So I did another scan with HJT and fixed (deleted) only the R1, firefox works, but when I fixed (deleted) the O17 message, it wouldn't. Restored them once again from HJT and rebooted.
Another scan, fixed the R1 message, left the O17 message and firefox is working fine. If I do the reverse, firefox does not work.
IE is not working either way.

So here I am, in the same boat as before. But you say there may be a workaround?

Sandi

Collapse -
That's very disheartening.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 14, 2009 7:37 PM PST

It is for us, and I imagine it is worse for you.

You were very wise to create that System Restore point before you attempted the HJT fix.

Can you check IE7 > Tools > Internet options > Connections tab? Highlight your dial-up connection, (I assume you just have the one), and click the Settings button.

Can you tell us if any of the top three options have been selected, ie; Automatically detect settings, Use automatic configuration script, and Use a proxy server for this connection.

I am assuming that the Proxy server setting should be blank, but is it? If it is selected, what address is entered?

I am doing a little research on "res://ieframe.dll/dnserrordiagoff.htm". This is the status bar message you said that IE7 shyows when it is trying to connect to an http web site. I don't understand how a DNS error can affect IE7 but not Firefox, but perhaps John can hep here as this is beyond my knowledge.

Googling res://ieframe.dll/dnserrordiagoff.htm gives a number of hits, but I am not seeing anything that suggests a common cause, or a solution, yet.

Mark

Collapse -
It's working!!!!!!!!!
by SSNightShadow / February 15, 2009 4:37 AM PST

Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh!!! I am so excited!!! IE is actually working!!! It wasn't a virus or a hijack!!! LOL
It was something so simple, I just can't believe it! Mark, your last post did the trick!

I looked at the connection settings in IE as you suggested. I actually have 2 dial up connections, peoplepc and turbousa. They both had the proxy server settings checked and pointing to localhost on port 8080,(must have happened when I installed the turbotax software). I clicked to automatically detect settings...and lo and behold my IE works again. Although it is IE6 now.

I finally got the sp3 update to install on my pc as well, after reading a multitude of pages on the micorsoft support website. I downloaded subinad.exe, which reset my administrator settings on my files? LOL, I don't know, but it worked. It was suggested elsewhere on the ms site that I uninstall ie7 first and reinstall after the update was complete to help ward off any problems in the future. I haven't reinstalled yet(apprehensive maybe?)

I'm over a couple of hurdles now and I couldn't have done it without all of your input and help. I truly want to thank you all for helping a complete stranger :o) I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate it.

Blessings to you all.

Sandi :o)

Collapse -
Congrats Mark and Sandy!
by Kees Bakker / February 15, 2009 4:40 AM PST
In reply to: It's working!!!!!!!!!

You did a great job together.

Once you know it, it's simple. https isn't cached by a proxy (to make it still safer), http is.

Kees

Collapse -
Excellent news!!!
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 15, 2009 6:18 AM PST

Well done Sandi, that is great news.

I can just imagine you hopping about with excitement, Happy

With a lot of help from everyone else here, we got there in the end, but I just wonder why I didn't suggest that 26 posts ago!

I was wondering why https wasn't affected, but Kees' note explains it. I bet it was that TaxCut software that changed the settings, but why would it do that?

And I see you have SP3 installed as well. That's also good news. I assume you can also update MBAM's definitions without problems.

IE7 should now re-install without difficulties.

Nice one.

Mark

Collapse -
Finally....
by SSNightShadow / February 15, 2009 9:14 AM PST
In reply to: Excellent news!!!

Yes Mark, I did get up and do a little happy dance. I think my husband thought I finally lost it after nearly 2 weeks of struggling with this problem. My poor pc has gotten quite a workout this past couple of weeks. I would get home from work and then spend hours trying to find a fix. But I'll look at this as an opportunity to have learned more about how browsers and os's work.

I've used TaxCut for several years now and have never ran into this kind of a problem. I'm just assuming that was what messed things up since it was the only change that happened around that time.

I'm in the process of getting McAfee AV up and running again. Think I may have confused it with something or other that I did. No big deal, just another download.

Once again let me say thank you for your persistence and patience with my problem. I'm glad people like you volunteer your time and efforts in places like this.

Sandi Happy

Collapse -
(NT) You're very welcome.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 15, 2009 7:24 PM PST
In reply to: Finally....
Collapse -
All's well that ends well! :)
by Carol~ Moderator / February 15, 2009 8:33 AM PST

That 'positive outcome' I was looking for has arrived! Glad to hear you're back in business, Sandi!

Carol

Collapse -
Couple of suggestions:
by Cursorcowboy / February 13, 2009 11:17 PM PST

1. The article [Q310747] describes the Beta release of System File Checker (Sfc.exe), a command-line tool that examines protected system files and restores the correct versions by using backups stored in the Dllcache folder or files copied from the operating system CD. Protected files include those with .sys, .dll, .exe, .ttf, .fon and .ocx file name extensions. Due to disk space considerations, storing all protected files in the Dllcache folder might not be practical especially on computers with limited storage space. Therefore, the system may require and prompt for the operating system CD. In addition, SFC can be used to repopulate the %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache folder if the contents become damaged or unusable.

2. Recommended reading: [Scannow SFC - Article Published by Marc Liron - Microsoft MVP].

NOTE: The above was contained in my previous reference #2c.

3. Since you have yet to upgrade the computer system with SP3 I would
[Uninstall Internet Explorer 7] and revert back to Internet Explorer v6.

Good Luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?