Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Unable to Update Windows XP Pro

by drmonty / November 26, 2004 2:20 AM PST

Spent too much time yesterday trying and failing to update old computer with XP SP1a using widows update. Haven't updated in over 2 months as computer has not been used. Tried to turn on automatic updates and download all new updates. Was able to download and install MS Networking and other programs (adaware, atomic clock) with no problems. Each time the error message says I do not have permission to update--I do have administrative priviledges and XP has been registered and activated. I have checked all the security and local policy entries under administrative tools. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to Update Windows XP Pro
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to Update Windows XP Pro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Unable to Update Windows XP Pro
by M_LeeDG / November 26, 2004 3:20 AM PST

Have had the same problem, with both XP Pro and Home, and what I found was that if the older computer is under 700MHZ speed and has less then 256M of memory SP2 will not load and causes all sorts of problems. So I have the older computer running without SP2 until I upgrade the CPU and memory, or get a new computer.

Collapse -
by drmonty / November 26, 2004 8:22 AM PST

Running XP on P3 600 with 512 RAM. However, I have another machine on the network with same configuration that I was able to update with no problem.
I was planning to give to my niece anyway--she want it for games and word processing. So it isn't mandatory that I get the update, but I would prefer to give it to her with it.
Thanks for the info.
mm

Collapse -
by David Chan / November 26, 2004 8:30 AM PST

Have you checked for Spyware & Viruses/Trojans?

It seems wierd that you've lost your Computer Administrator powers.

Can you log on as the Administrator and try and apply the updates again?

Or if you are giving the PC to your niece why not do a clean install with a slipstreamed SP2 XP CD?

Collapse -
by drmonty / November 28, 2004 2:05 PM PST

David,
Have already removed spyware and using McAfee av. Could try new install, but this install was a clean install which I was trying to update. My version of XP is has sp1 only.
Any other ideas?

Collapse -
by billzhills / November 28, 2004 10:12 PM PST

drmonty,

Followed the other posts and see that you removed spy-ware/virus. That may have not been enough.

Have had two systems develop this issue. Both badly infected by virus/spy-ware. Used every tool listed in this forum and some that where not and was unable to access the update site.

Been awhile but, If I didn't do a clean re-install I cleared the SSL State in IE Properties.

Bill

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.