Computer Help forum

General discussion

Unable to update ANY Antivirus, Why?

by Blazin65 / October 12, 2008 4:52 AM PDT

I have a 2 month old laptop, HPdv9910. It came with Norton Antivirus. Vista.

I decided to try something else. However, every antivirus program I have tried says "we can't download your software because we're having trouble accessing the internet". I've tried AVG Free, ZoneAlarm (of which I paid $49 for), and Mcafee. What is the problem? I've called HP and they are no help. I'm able to surf the internet and download other stuff just fine. Any advice anyone?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to update ANY Antivirus, Why?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to update ANY Antivirus, Why?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Almost always
by Jimmy Greystone / October 12, 2008 4:54 AM PDT

Almost always this is the result of a misconfigured firewall. You're going to have to figure out which one it is and then how to rectify the problem.

Collapse -
Thanks Jimmy but I still have the problem
by Blazin65 / October 12, 2008 5:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Almost always

I turned windows firewall completly off and I still get the error message. (the one in the control panel)

Collapse -
And what about
by Jimmy Greystone / October 12, 2008 5:10 AM PDT

And what about Norton and ZoneAlarm?

Collapse -
They are all off
by Blazin65 / October 12, 2008 5:14 AM PDT
In reply to: And what about

I uninstalled Norton. Then, I installed ZoneAlarm but it could never access the internet to update, so I uninstalled it. Now I'm trying to download Mcafee and I get the same thing. (I have Mcafee on another computer so I have the license)

Collapse -
Suggestions.. ...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 12, 2008 10:54 AM PDT

First, make sure Norton is completely off the computer by downloading and running the Norton Removal Tool from the link below. If you need to use a friend or family member's computer to do the download, that's fine.. Download the files, then copy them to a CD or flash drive, then transfer them to the problem machine..

Norton Removal Tool

Next, because your problem may be related to spyware, please download the Malwarebytes program AND it's manual updater from the links below. When they're transfered to the problem machine, install the Malwarebytes program then run the manual updater to get the program current.. Then run a full system scan and delete all spyware found.:

Malwarebytes Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Malwarebytes Manual Updater link
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/database/mbam-rules.exe

Next, download and run the WinsockXPFix tool from the link below to fix the internet connection software.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/WinSock_XP_Fix_d4372.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I'll try this when I get home later. Many Thanks!
by Blazin65 / October 13, 2008 1:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Suggestions.. ...

Please check back with me for a response later on my attempt.

Collapse -
Thanks Grif Thomas and another question Please
by Blazin65 / October 18, 2008 5:01 AM PDT

Your instructions helped me out. Apparantly it was the Norton removal tool that did the trick, because when I ran the spyware program, no spyware was found. Finally, I was able to download AVG Free edition and so far so good.

I do have a question for you. Is Windows firewall good enough by itself? Or should I find a free firewall somewhere else.

Collapse -
Is Windows Firewall Good Enough..? It Depends..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 18, 2008 5:38 AM PDT

If you're on a stand-alone computer at home and there are no other computers on a network, the Windows Firewall should be fine.. It should sufficiently block attempted intrusions from the internet.. It doesn't alert you of "outgoing" internet attempts by programs, but for many, that's OK..

On the other hand, if you want extra notifications of outgoing attempts from your computer, then you'll want to get a third party firewall that does such.

Remember though.. A firewall is only a tool, one of many, which prevents attacks on your computer.. If you had spyware or viruses on the machine, and you are on a standalone computer, the firewall is probably NOT the culprit..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Firewall question
by mistyomine / December 20, 2008 7:39 AM PST

Hi there,
Think you may already answered my question but to be sure...I run a Windows XP Home Edition and am wondering too if Windows Firewall is enough. I have Avast Antivirus and two good spywares with no infections. Put in Zone Alarm free firewall and I'm crawling now. Do I really need outgoing? Lite user here. Thanks.

Collapse -
It's Your Choice...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 21, 2008 8:54 AM PST
In reply to: Firewall question

...but basically, I've answered your question in my post immediately above.. If you're on a standalone computer behind a router with NAT or a firewall, then I'll say Yes, the Windows Firewall should suffice..

If you want to see outgoing attempts, then that's your choice..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Firewall problem
by mistyomine / December 21, 2008 9:44 AM PST
In reply to: It's Your Choice...

Hi again,
I have a standalone computer but I don't have a router? Don't know what that is either. Do I need to get one to use just Windows Firewall? I'm pretty green about these things. Till I hear from you I'll keep Zone Alarm Firewall on...slow or not. Thanks for your time.
PS What does a router do?

Collapse -
Need To Know More About What You Have
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 22, 2008 7:27 AM PST
In reply to: Firewall problem

What type of internet connection do you use? DSL, Cable, dial-up? If DSL or Cable, EXACTLY which model of modem do you have? Some are actually rudimentary routers which have a NAT firewall.. For example, even the basic Westell 6100 modem provided by Verizon DSL has a firewall in it.

A router "routes" data packets from one network to another and is generally used by homeowners to connect multiple computers to a single modem.. (Use Google to search for "router definition".)

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Modem??
by mistyomine / December 22, 2008 10:12 AM PST

Hi again, I'm on Cable high speed. Computer info celeron 2.8ghz/with D845GVFN Intel Motherboard, 256MB of DDR-RAM, CDRW @52x24x52,Microsoft Keyboard, w/ Microsoft Optical Mouse, 80 GB Hard Drive @ 7200 rpm. That's all the information I can find. Hope this is enough. First used AVG free and just Windows Firewall a long time. Zone Alarm Firewall free not too bad but slow to start up and slows operations down.

Collapse -
Cable Modem Model Number.. ?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 22, 2008 12:56 PM PST
In reply to: Modem??

A coaxial cable enters the inside of your house through a wall somewhere.. The coax cable then connects to a small box of some size and color. That's the cable modem.. From the cable modem, an ethernet cable will then connect directly to your computer.

Look at the cable modem box and see if there is a brand name and model number. You can then use that information to check on Google to see if the modem has a firewall or NAT setup.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Cable modum
by mistyomine / December 23, 2008 2:51 AM PST

Thank you for your patience and help. Yes, mine does offer protection. Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year too.

Collapse -
The Next Step Is...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 23, 2008 2:59 AM PST
In reply to: Cable modum

...Read the cable modem's manual and learn how to enable the firewall within in the modem.. It may or may not be enabled by default.

Hope this helps and Happy Holidays to you as well.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks Grif
by jugjones73 / August 24, 2009 3:00 AM PDT

I was trying to install panda security 2009 when I encountered those errors. But your support resolved it for me. Now system recognizes the anitvirus. Thank you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?