Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Unable to uninstall Quick Time.

by Bron / November 20, 2004 3:04 AM PST

Hi,
I downloaded Quick Time today and the shortcut appeared on my desktop, but when i opened the program it looked funny as if it was blurred, i could not see the controls clearly, i can't properly see what i'm clicking.I decided to uninstall it but it won't uninstall.

I opened Add/remove but when i clicked to remove, Quick Time uninstall came up and said "Removing Quick Time systems extentions can cause applications to malfunction, click uninstall to remeve application that came with Quick Time, click uninstall Everything to remeve the system extentions as well (Not Recommended)i have copied down exactly what it said.

I don't understand this at all,Quick Time remains in Add/Remove, can anyone help please?

I have Windows Media Player but it is not working properly, that is why i downloaded Quick Time.

Hope you can understand me and thank you.

Bron

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to uninstall Quick Time.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to uninstall Quick Time.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Unable to uninstall Quick Time.
by glb613 / November 20, 2004 8:45 AM PST

If you are using ME or XP, do a system restore to a time before you installed Quicktime.

Collapse -
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 20, 2004 9:35 AM PST

Bron

Collapse -
by Bron / November 21, 2004 10:24 PM PST

Hello Grif
Thank you for your help.
I'm sorry that i forgot to mention that i run Windows 98.

I sorted the problem yesterday, i clicked uninstall everything and Quick Time was removed from Ad/Remove, i hope all traces of the program are gone.

I will now follow your advice about cleaning up.
I use Easy Cleaner to clean up everything, what do you think of that program?
I already have Ad-Aware, Spybot and CWShredder, i did a scan with these programs, all is fine except Ad-Aware, it found 5 new critical objects, 1 Registry Value identified HKEY_USER DEFAULT\ (what do i do with it?) 4 files identified, i deleted those files as they were tracking, did i do right?

Hope all is ok now and thank you again for your help.

Bron

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 21, 2004 11:14 PM PST

Hi
I'm not Grif but he may be busy and would probably recommend the same thing (I think LOL). Anyway, NORMALLY anything that Ad-Aware finds is OK to delete but to be on the safe side, you should probably quarantine it for now. If you can tell us exactly what it was that it found in the registry it might help. Did it say thing else besides what you already posted?

Collapse -
by Bron / November 22, 2004 3:32 AM PST

Hi Roddy,

Here is what is in quarantine.
IE Cache Entry cookie computer user@apmebf.com
Cookie computer user@maxserving.com.
C:\Windows\cookies\computeruser@maxserving(20.txt

1 Registry value HKEY_USER DEFAULT,(that is all that it said) I deleted that one.
I'm not sure why i deleted it and put the cookies in quarantine:)hope all is ok, please let me know when you can.

Bron

Collapse -
Bron
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 22, 2004 3:50 AM PST

I'm guessing but the registry problem was probably "Alexa" related.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ooops, double post. LOL
by roddy32 / November 22, 2004 3:51 AM PST
In reply to: Bron
Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 22, 2004 3:50 AM PST

Hi again Brona
I'm not sure what to tell you about the registry value but deleting the cookies won't hurt at all. If they are cookies for a website that you visit often, the worst thing that could happen is that it won't recognize your computer until you sign in. Then it would replace the cookie when you sign in. I would wait until Grif answers you on the registry value entry though.

Collapse -
by Bron / November 22, 2004 7:05 AM PST

Thank you Roddy and Grif:)

Can you tell me which is better Windows Media Player, ( although its not working ) or Quick Time?

Bron

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 22, 2004 7:09 AM PST

You are welcome. MY personal opinion is Window's Media Player because it was made for Windows whereas Quicktime originally was made for Apple/Mac.

Collapse -
by Bron / November 22, 2004 11:39 PM PST

Quicktime originally was made for Apple/Mac.

I didn't know that, there i have learned something new,
thank you Roddy.

Bron

Collapse -
Bron
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 22, 2004 7:45 AM PST

...but it's important to understand that there are other "viewers" as well. I've got 3 or 4 installed on my machines. I use each one for a slightly different purpose.

First, when viewing videos or listening to music on the web, some websites will only use one or the other. You may not have a choice. On dial-up machines, I prefer Quicktime to view videos with because it will download the media to my computer first, then play it, where Windows Media Player will frequently try to play the same media in a "streaming" format. Streaming videos dont' always play well on a slow dial-up connection. Even if you have a broadband connection you may find that one player performs a little better than the other.

Windows Media Player 9 or later has the ability to save CD selections to your computer's hard drive so they can be played back later without the CD...while Quicktime doesn't do that. Real Player also has the ability to save music to the hard drive.

Some older versions of Quicktime are needed on the computer simply to be able to view some types of Encyclopedia and informational software.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Bron
by Bron / November 22, 2004 11:44 PM PST
In reply to: Bron

Streaming videos dont' always play well on a slow dial-up connection

Thank you Grif,

There is something wrong with my Windows Media, it never worked properly. I'm thinking of uninstalling and install it again and see what happens.

You have been very helpful roddy also, thank you both.

Bron

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 23, 2004 2:12 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Bron

Just a suggegstion Bron

Collapse -
by Bron / November 23, 2004 4:06 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Bron

It SHOULD install over your current version unless that is the version that you have already. That may fix whatever that problem is.

Hi roddy,

I have just now checked what version i have, it is 6.4.07.1121, it looks strange or old Happy

I will go and update it now, many thanks, i appreciate the help.

Bron

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.