Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

unable to sign in to my account on Windows XP

by mkingen / July 2, 2006 11:30 PM PDT

I set up a guest account for a housesitter to use while I was away. Since I've been back, I can't get into my accoutn. It's not on the options when signing in, and the only place I find my account is when I right click Start and explore. When I click on my accounth there, it says access denied. I also can't sign in as administator. I've read some advice to similar problems here, but nothing seems to work. What do I do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: unable to sign in to my account on Windows XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: unable to sign in to my account on Windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Boot up to....
by Papa Echo / July 2, 2006 11:58 PM PDT

...safe mode and see whether your account appears, or whether you can sign in as Administrator. If able to, then use System Restore to roll back. Alternatively, choose "last good configuration" at the boot menu (instead of Safe Mode).

Collapse -
how do I
by mkingen / July 3, 2006 4:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Boot up to....

do this? I assume restart computer, but then how do I get to safe mode?

Collapse -
There are various ways.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 3, 2006 8:47 AM PDT
In reply to: how do I
Collapse -
I got it!!
by mkingen / July 3, 2006 11:44 AM PDT

Thanks for your help!!!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) But did it work? :)
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 3, 2006 7:23 PM PDT
In reply to: I got it!!
Collapse -
It sounds like your housesitter took over as admin
by DarCLew2 / July 3, 2006 10:19 AM PDT
In reply to: how do I

First, I would try system restore to before the housesitter was using your computer. Als, to get into safe mode, all you have to do is interrupt the power when on, unplug computer from the back or I just turn off the outlet and on again. Then, all your options are there, safr mode, last good config. , etc. Darrell Lewis

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.