Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Unable to setup network with D-Link DWA-130

I've searched this forum and several others to no avail.

Running XP Pro SP2 fully updated on two desktops, both Dells.

I am trying to replace a dying Linksys router ethernet LAN with a wireless network. We have had a D-Link DIR-655 router for use with laptops with wireless cards, it has worked fine. Sequence is modem > wireless router > wired router > computers A & B.

I bought a couple of D-Link DWA-130 wireless adapters, one for each computer.

I can go online with either wired or wireless routers. With wired router can form a workgroup, share printers & files. With wireless, the D-link Wireless Connection Manager shows both computers connected to the network, but I am not able to form a workgroup or share printers/files. This is true whether the wired router is connected or not. I can still get online after disconnecting both computers from the wired router.

The D-Link support site has a page outlining how to disable WZC http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1398&question=d-link+wireless+utility+in+XP , this didn't have any effect on the ability to form a network between the computers.

One computer has Norton Internet Security, the other has Zone Alarm. Disabling both of these had no effect.

Whether using the "my network places" under the Start button or trying to navigate via Windows Explorer, neither computer can see the other.

When I try to use the Wireless Network Setup Wizard, the error message "Depending on the wireless software running on this computer, the Wireless Network Setup Wizard might not work. For details, see article 871122 in the Microsoft Knowledge Base on Microsoft.com".

This same message appears when I select the option "set up a network manually" instead of using a USB flash drive. There is no way to proceed with a manual setup of a network, the error message is a dead end.

I called D-Link tech support twice, both times got a doofusy-sounding guy who said I had to call Microsoft about this problem. Each guy had to go away for awhile and "research the problem". Neither would connect me with a supervisor.

Can you point me to a place on the internet that has instructions for manually setting up a WLAN without using the Wireless Setup Wizard? Article 871122 is thirteen pages of gobbledygook, with many links to other articles that might or might not be helpful.

Thanks for your prompt reply, sorry this is so long, I hope this info makes my situation clear.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to setup network with D-Link DWA-130
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to setup network with D-Link DWA-130
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"modem > wireless router > wired router > computers A & B.

In reply to: Unable to setup network with D-Link DWA-130

Collapse -
I think so

In reply to: "modem > wireless router > wired router > computers A & B.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I checked, it looks like the wired router is set up OK. Besides, if both computers are disconnected from the wired router, would it make a difference vis a vis setting up a LAN with the wireless router?

I tried Network Magic (it comes with the DIR-655). When I first set it up, the computers could see one another in the NM screen, but not in Windows Explorer, and I couldn't get the B computer to print on shared printers connected to the A computer. I was using the File > Print from the toolbar in Word, perhaps you're supposed to print from within NM, but I could not find the path to do so.

I tried adding an XP laptop to the Network Magic, the network kept crashing. The B computer NM screen would say that the router's connection to the internet was broken and needed repair, when the tray icon said "connected to router, signal excellent" and I could still connect to the internet via browser over the wireless router. I would re-run Network Magic without the laptop, and it either would crash, or say that the other computer was "offline".

So I uninstalled Network Magic. If there is a way to share files & printers within NM, I would re-install it, but preference would be for being able to share files & printers directly through a LAN.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
Still unsure here.

In reply to: I think so

You claim its setup proper but I didn't read any words that gave me the "yup, that's not it" feeling.

As to your "vis" statement my answer is no. Wifi in Windows can errect a barrier. Many in fact. Something as simple as the Printer and File sharing not bound to the wifi interface.

Links about -> "ensure the "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Windows" checkbox is checked to enable sharing and unchecked to disable sharing for that connection. Repeat Steps 3 and 4 to check this setting for other connections."
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsfilesharing/ht/enable_disable.htm

I can count how many didn't check that.
Bob

Collapse -
Maybe

In reply to: Still unsure here.

I did make sure file sharing is enabled for the wireless network.

The link you provided brings up instructions for bridging a wireless router to a wired LAN. This involves having the modem connect to the wired router, and the wireless router is part of the LAN (the WAN port is not used on the wireless router). This really isn't my goal, as our wired router is frequently malfunctioning. I would have to replace the wired router, which is an additional cost.

It seems to me that for better or for ill, the future of home computing & networks is headed in the wireless direction. The majority of routers, printers, etc in the stores and online are wireless. Eventually there will be a tipping point where there is an advantage to moving on to a newer OS than XP, and I'm guessing the new OS will mainly support wireless networking. I'd like our next printer purchase to be wireless so that our laptops can print. Adding the laptops to the current home network is another motivation for being able to get the wireless network working.

An alternate solution to the current problem is to return the wireless adapters, buy a new ethernet router, and worry about the wireless network when we replace our current computers. But I'm not ready to give up yet.

I really appreciate your attention to this problem. I'm sort of "medium" computer-knowledgeable, so if there are details about the wired router you would like to have, please ask. But the goal is to ditch it once the wired network is functioning.

Thanks

Collapse -
Sorry but...

In reply to: Maybe

I am not reading any reassuring words that tell me that you did this "for that connection. Repeat Steps 3 and 4 to check this setting for other connections."

It's a very common item to overlook and I don't see where you tell me how you connected the first router to the second router's WAN port.
Bob

Collapse -
Still trying

In reply to: Sorry but...

I did check ALL networks in the Network Connections area of the Control Panel. All the boxes were enabled for all the choices, and I didn't change anything.

The modem connects to the wireless router with an ethernet cable to the WAN port on the wireless router. The wireless router connects to the wired router with an ethernet cable from a LAN port to the WAN port of the wired router. Computers A & B are connected via ethernet cables to LAN ports on the wired router. (It is a Linksys BEFSR41).

I had initially tried modem > wired router > wireless router but couldn't get that setup to work. I don't recall the error messages now as it was a year or so ago when I tried that.

Would it expedite a solution if I removed the wired router? I'm guessing the registry would need to be editted and possibly other settings changed as well. I would need a link to a thread or instruction page on how to do that. I would likely have to Google many of the directions. For instance in the link you provided regarding bridging a wireless router to a wired LAN, it has directions that are clear ("disable the DHCP server of the wireless router/access point") but I have never done that, I would be using Google to find out HOW to disable a DHCP server on a router. That doesn't daunt me, I like to learn this stuff. Another example: Article 871122 of the MS Knowledge base is currently over my head, I would have to work through it very carefully to figure out much of the stuff it is discussing.

My gut feeling is that there is a tweak somewhere in the WZC setup that might fix things, but gord knows what it is.

Many thanks again.

Collapse -
Woah. That's not how I set this up at Post 17.

In reply to: Still trying

"The wireless router connects to the wired router with an ethernet cable from a LAN port to the WAN port of the wired router. Computers A & B are connected via ethernet cables to LAN ports on the wired router. (It is a Linksys BEFSR41)."

In muliple router setups I offer Post 17. We only use one WAN port, not two.

Can you go back to Post 17 noted above?
Bob

Collapse -
Ummm.... I don't want a wired router if possible.

In reply to: Woah. That's not how I set this up at Post 17.

As I said before, if I follow the directions in the link in post 17, it is a way to make the wired router primary (connected to the modem) and the wireless router part of the LAN. Our wired router is intermittently malfunctioning and I would prefer not to replace it, rather I want to eliminate it. I can't eliminate it until I can get the wireless network functioning. If eliminating it is the only way to get the wireless network functioning, that would be fine, but this is not addressed in Post 17 (that I can see).

I am sorry to sound dense here but what part of Post 17 is relevant to this goal? Can I reverse the positions of the two routers in the setup and otherwise follow the directions in Post 17? Meanwhile I will try connecting as follows: modem > wireless WAN port > wired LAN port > desktops A & B.

Thanks again

Collapse -
I see where you are going here.

In reply to: Ummm.... I don't want a wired router if possible.

You want proof the wifi router works before you put it in so it's up to you to get past that and move forward.

Rather than waste posts discussing how we can use Post 17 as a guide and swap the wired and wifi routers as will why can't you install the new wifi router as the main router proper, get wired to that and then work the wifi issues.

I see clearly now that you didn't set up the LAN proper and must not waste any time helping you setup a LAN that you will only dispense with and have to do it all over again.

Remember this is all volunteer so tap the resources wisely.
Bob

Collapse -
I' m very sorry

In reply to: I see where you are going here.

I am mortified that you feel I'm wasting your time. The wired LAN was originally set up per the Linksys instructions. When I added the wireless router a year ago, I could only get wireless internet connectivity the way I currently have it set up, as I was ignorant of Post 17 at the time. I was also ignorant that only one WAN port should be used. If that fact is all I learn, it is very useful to me, and I thank you. The setup has worked OK for us until the wired router started to malfunction, so I didn't pursue trying to learn how to bridge the wireless router to the wired LAN "properly", as you put it.

The wifi works as far as both computers connecting to the wireless router and to the internet. The next step for me is to replace the wired router network with a wireless router network. Or failing that, replace the malfunctioning wired router and follow Post 17 to add in the wireless.

Thank you for your help and again I apologize for wasting your time. It certainly was not intentional.

Collapse -
No problem.

In reply to: I' m very sorry

I hope you can use the above information to move to the final goal rather than create a LAN that will be problematic and then torn up only to do this all over again.

Post 17 if followed could have avoided quite a few posts here but I only found out later you had created what we call a DOUBLE NAT. Those DOUBLE NAT LANs can be trouble for those that don't have a lot of networking background. Sadly my background is based on writing a small internet appliance application so I see clearly but may not be the best at explaining in these small passages. This is why I offer links to longer articles.

I've seen people do that and always wondered why.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!