Question

Unable to set 'Wake on Lan' for Realteak RT8811AU network ad

Hello,
I have Realteak RT8811AU network adapter connected via USB to my desktop computer for wifi connections. I get greater network speed but however, I am unable to set it to wake on lan. I have a ASUS
P5Q Pro LGA 775 motherboard and on my bios I have setup to wave via PCIe and PCI devices(basically every device option I have). However, I go to the 'Power Management' or the Realteak adapter via 'Device Manager' I see no way effect of setting the 'Allow this device to wake the computer' option.In order to check this option I have to check 'Allow this computer to turn off this device' option which in some forums they have been saying is the reason WOL doesn't work because the computer turns off the network adapter. If I select the 'Allow this computer to turn off this device' option and then select the 'Allow this device to wake the computer' option and deselect the 'Allow this computer to turn off this device' option that also doesn't work. And there is no way to select the 'Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer'. Also I have set the setting to have the computer not be able to turn off the usb devices. I have read several forum posts but unable to solve this problem.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Unable to set 'Wake on Lan' for Realteak RT8811AU network ad
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Unable to set 'Wake on Lan' for Realteak RT8811AU network ad
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
The problem is that USB system.

Move to a PCI or PCIe card to solve this one. I haven't heard anyone fix this on USB adapters.

- Collapse -
Answer
Further explanation

Bob is right about the USB thing and here's why. Sending the "magic packet" requires that the circuitry of the receiving device have a source of power. On board network devices use the 5v supply from the PS that's used to power up the PC as it's already available. The 5v to USB ports is lost when the PC is powered down. No power to the receiving device means no response from it. It's like having no batteries in your flashlight. No matter how many times you try to turn it on, nothing happens.

CNET Forums

Forum Info