Computer Help forum

General discussion

Unable to set Mozilla as default

by rbt / March 19, 2004 3:47 AM PST

By default,I mean that when I boot my PC and connect to the Internet, I would like Mozilla to open instead of IE 6.0 first. I have tried any combination of settings stated at this site and more,with no luck.
http://www.depts.drew.edu/cns/support/docs/default_mozilla/

Maybe there is some association between IE 6.0 and my AT&T Dial-Up connection or maybe a Registry entry that I don't know about it.

I have Windows XP Home and I am not sure if Pack 1 is installed simply because soon after I installed the Pack 1,I restored my system to a previuos restore date.

Any other idea helpful or not,shall be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to set Mozilla as default
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to set Mozilla as default
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Unable to set Mozilla as default
by Kees Bakker / March 19, 2004 4:41 AM PST

The 'default browser', as I understand the concept, is the program started if you click on a hyperlink for a website. According to the file-type screen (in Windows 95/98) that's rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l, and I assume the dll knows what to run from the item in the registry that defines the 'default browser' you can set in IE and in Mozilla.

But I've never seen a browser (IE or Mozilla for that matter) starting automatically triggered by a dial-up connection. It doesn't make sense. It's quite possible you intend to use the connection to check your mail (with Outlook Express for example) or just want to go to ICQ or MSN to have a good talk with your friends, or want to run Mediaplayer to listen to some Internet radio.

The other way around, yes: you can set IE to dial automatically if it is started without a connection. And of course, you can put IE in the startup group (or Mozilla, or in fact any program or browser or document or web-address).
And you can put the dial-up connection in your startup group if you want to connect automatically at boot time (but then maybe you'de better take dsl or cable connection).

So - if it really is a startup problem, as you describe - the question is: can you disclose what runs at Startup (msconfig is the tool to use, even in Windows XP), and what Services are started?
If it isn't, are you sure it's really triggered by the dialup connection, if you click on it from My Computer?

Kees

Collapse -
Re:Re:Unable to set Mozilla as default
by rbt / March 19, 2004 5:32 AM PST

Let me be more specific:

1. I boot up my PC

2. I double click my ISP, AT&T icon on the desktop

3 After my modem establishes a connection, IE 6.0 opens up showing the AT&T homepage and I can browse the Internet. However, I would like to browse with Mozilla to start with, without having to close IE 6.0 and open manually Mozilla. My Outlook Express works as it should. As I said, there should be a way to implement this and there is, but I had no luck for the last three months! Every time I connect, IE 6.0 opens first, regardless of my settings. On the next boot up, they all reset to IE 6.O as the default browser.

Collapse -
Rbt, Have You Tried ???
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 19, 2004 6:38 AM PST

....the instructions from Mozilla:

2.2. How do I make Mozilla my default browser?
http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.4/faq/browser.html#default

In addition, open the Control Panel, double click on "Internet Options", then click on the "Programs" tab. Try UNCHECKING or CHECKING the box at the bottom that says: "Internet Explorer should check to see if it's the default browser". Then click Apply, OK, etc.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Unable to set Mozilla as default
by Tom Aikman / March 19, 2004 11:57 AM PST

If you installed software from your ISP (AT&T?) it is possible that IE opening is a function of the said software. I can remember being with Earthlink some years back, that you could chose what browser to launch or simply none. Ask your ISP?

Good Luck.

Collapse -
You haven't changed the defaults.
by chuckieu / March 20, 2004 12:15 AM PST

I just changed from ATT, so I don't have it in front of me. I can get you through the steps with a little work on your part. Kees was right about going to Internet Options and unchecking "Make Internet Explorer your default browser". Next, from the desktop, left click the ATT shortcut-open-Settings. Then go through the various options(Account, I think) till you find a list of choices, one of which is "load Internet Explorer....".
Uncheck this. Just below this(I think) is a large box with an "Add" beside it. Click "Add", "Browse" till you go to C-Program Files-Mozilla-Mozilla.Org-Open. This should place Mozilla in the large box. Close all steps and restart computer. From now on, when you log on, Mozilla will auto-load. Good luck. chuck

Collapse -
Re:You haven't changed the defaults.
by rbt / March 20, 2004 3:26 AM PST

You are right, no, I havn't done any of your suggestions,chuck. I will do just that, maybe tomorrow and I will post back. Thanks to all of you for now.

Collapse -
Re:You haven't changed the defaults.
by rbt / March 21, 2004 4:38 AM PST

Chuckieu:

I have navigated through the various options that you have suggested, but I only end up to the Internet Options box where you can check or uncheck the box: "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser". Rather than this, I cannot find any other options stated in your response. Most likely, we have a different AT&T software versions.

On this self-built, P4 3.06 GHz PC, I had a similar problem when I wanted to mute my modem's speaker. I tried all possible settings for months, until I found out that all I needed to do was to type the command "atm0" somewhere in the modem's settings. Just muting the modem's speaker and setting the volume to zero, did not do anything!

Anyhow, the question is not that I must have Mozilla as my default browser, but the question is rather...why not?

Thank you to all.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.