Computer Help forum

General discussion

Unable to run MalwareByte & Superspyware

by voky2000 / March 20, 2009 11:14 PM PDT

Hello Computer experts,

I have a Compaq V5015US laptop running Windows XP Home. Lately, I am not able to run my TaskMGR, MalwareBytes, & SuperSpyware. When I clicked on any link, it re-direct to another website. Also, I have not been able to open my local C:\ drive. It will give an error message, "Windows can not find RECYCLER". I tried to download & intall Malwarebyte again, and it seems to be installing. However, it will not launch Malwarebyte after the installation completes.

Please let me know what I can do to fix this.

Thanks,
Voky2000

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to run MalwareByte & Superspyware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to run MalwareByte & Superspyware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you tried booting into Safe Mode?
by FrankQC / March 20, 2009 11:23 PM PDT

If you have a virus it won't execute when in safe mode

Try installing your programs and running them in safe mode. You -might- have a virus that prevents executions and installations.

Alongside MalwareBytes and Superspyware... Like, I've tried those and it wasn't as good as ComboFix. ComboFix does look like an old fashioned scanner but out of all three I've tried (malwarebytes, superspyware and mcafee enterprise), it actually got rid of my malware. So when you're in safe mode and your scanners won't work, give ComboFix a try.

Collapse -
ComboFix resolved these issue
by voky2000 / March 22, 2009 1:05 PM PDT

Thanks everyone,

I installed Autorun Eater and was able to go my local drive again. As for the other issue, I tried to rename the Malwarebyte file, but this did not work. System appears to be installing but program did not run after finish installing.

I installed and ran Combofix. This fixed these issues.

Thanks again.
voky2000

Collapse -
Told ya :P
by FrankQC / March 22, 2009 9:06 PM PDT

I'm surprised with ComboFix. It doesn't look professional but it does the trick.

It's good not to judge a book by its cover.

Collapse -
Hopefully, You've Continued On With Other Tools
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 23, 2009 2:06 AM PDT

Combofix only does part of the job and in almost all cases, a full system scan using the other tools mentioned in this forum are necessary. If Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware still won't run, then you've probably still got malware or the effects of malware on the computer.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Unable to run MalwareByte & Superspyware
by Tufenuf / March 21, 2009 1:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
RECYCLER\S
by Cursorcowboy / March 21, 2009 11:36 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Yep, Using AutoRun Eater Has Worked Well Here...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 22, 2009 8:56 AM PDT
In reply to: RECYCLER\S
Collapse -
In Addition To Tufenuf's Recommendation To Rename The Exe
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 22, 2009 3:51 AM PDT

Because of the redirect you're experiencing, please check for the files below and delete them if found..(Note that not all problems may be present on the same computer but check for them all and remove them IF they are present.):

Look for the file below and if there...:

C:/Windows/system32/wdmaud.sys

Delete it (or move/rename) and Reboot.

Next,
1.Click on the Start button, select "Run", then type "devmgmt.msc" in the blank area, without the quotes, then click on OK.
2. Once in Device Manager, click "View" in the upper left, select "show hidden devices/drivers".
3. Then click on "non plug and play drivers/devices", and find TDssserv.sys
4. If it's there, right click it, then select disable, then restart the computer.
5. Then check if the problem still persists. good luck!

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Unable to run MalwareByte & Superspyware
by techservices24 / March 22, 2009 7:23 PM PDT

I woulld request you that please try to run "Amtimalwarebytes" and "Superantispyware" in the safe mode.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!