Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Unable to receive Windows updates or from SuperAntiSpyware

by Big Steve / February 23, 2014 10:37 AM PST

I have a 5 year old Dell Vostro 1510 laptop computer which has an OS of Windows Vista Premium 32bit but since yesterday I have not been able to receive any Windows updates nor have I been able to update my free version of SuperAntiSpyware.

My SuperAntiSpyware Version #5.7.1018

Windows Update error code received after attempting to install Windows updates yesterday and today:
Code 57A or Code 0000057A

It's obvious that something has infected my computer; I'm at a loss as to what I should do. Feedback from those who might know would be appreciated.

Big Steve
02/23/14

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to receive Windows updates or from SuperAntiSpyware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to receive Windows updates or from SuperAntiSpyware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tried Using A Different Connection?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 23, 2014 12:47 PM PST

That error is frequently caused by a bad connection.. Try a different internet connection somewhere else or maybe use a wired connection...

What do you mean EXACTLY by "not been able to receive any Windows updates"? If you manually visit the Windows Update site, do you see them but they won't download? Is it an automatic update issue? Or is it something different?

When did you last update and since there haven't been any Windows updates since the second Tuesday of this month, why do you think you should be seeing them?

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Tried Using A Different Connection?
by Big Steve / February 23, 2014 3:11 PM PST

I have not tried using a different connection. As for the Windows Updates they normally update automatically usually around 3:00 a.m. but a few days ago a balloon popped up in my system tray one morning saying Windows Updates were available; there were 6 of them so I went ahead and attempted to do the updates when after about 5 minutes time had passed I received that message saying updates failed; error code 57A; 0000057A. I'm running a full scan with my SuperAntiSpyware; the scan has been going on for 3 hours 54 minutes and the results currently are as follows while the scan continues:

Memory Items
Scanned - 687
Detected - 0

Registry Items
Scanned - 43747
Detected - 0

File Items
Scanned - 215291 and counting
Detected so far - 91

I can run a full scan on my Dell desktop computer and be done in less than 50 minutes; I do very little web surfing on the desktop computer; mostly word processing only but I do most if not all of my web surfing on my Dell laptop but it shouldn't take over 3 hours to do a full scan with Super AntiSpyware on my Dell laptop should it? There must be a virus or something on my laptop.

Big Steve
02/24/14

Collapse -
Re: update
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 23, 2014 3:59 PM PST

Windows updates do fail sometimes. Please tell what update it was that failed and if the other 5 were OK. If you don't know how, please post again.

SuperAntiSpyware certainly still was busy if the counter of the number of files it checked still was increasing. Clean your Temporary Internet Files (or whatever they are called in the browsers you're using), clean you Appdata>Local>Temp folder and try again.

No reason yet to think it's infected.

Kees

Collapse -
by Big Steve / February 23, 2014 5:26 PM PST
In reply to: Re: update

Windows Updates which failed are as follows:

1. Security Update for Office 2003 (KB2760494)
Download size: 379 KB

2. Security Update for Office 2003 (KB2817474)
Download size: 5.4 MB

3. Security Update for Office 2003 (KB2817480)
Download size: 1.2 MB

4. Security Update for Office 2003 (KB2825621)
Download size: 1.9 MB

5. Security Update for Office 2003 (KB2850047)
Download size: 1.2 MB

6. Security Update for Word 2003 (KB2863866)
Download size: 5.6 MB

I just attempted to update them again and again they failed. The error message read: Code 57A

5 results for "WindowsUpdate_0000057A" "WindowsUpdate_dt000"
1. 1 Windows Update error 80070422, 80244019, or 8DDD0018
2. 2 Windows Update error 8007000b
3. 3 Windows Update error 80200010
4. 4 Windows Update error 2
5. 5 Troubleshoot problems with installing updates

Since my last post SuperAntiSpyware is still scanning; details below:

Scanning time now - 6hrs 12min and counting

Results as of right now:

Memory Items
Scanned - 687
Detected - 0

Registry Items
Scanned - 43747
Detected - 0

File Items
Scanned - 303750 and still counting
Detected so far - 91*

*This number has not changed in more than 3 hours and SAS is still scanning. I think I'll let it continue to scan just to see if anything changes besides the amount of time it has taken to scan but I'm going to be heading to bed soon.

Big Steve
02/24/14

Collapse -
by Big Steve / February 23, 2014 6:00 PM PST

My internet browser which I'm currently using is Google Chrome and I just went to Control Panel>Internet Options>Cleared My Cache.

Big Steve
02/24/14

Collapse -
Re: Internet Options
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 23, 2014 6:18 PM PST

Are you sure that works for Chrome? It doesn't work Firefox, for example, it only clears the cache of Internet Explorer. But maybe Google made it such that it works for Chrome? I can't check, because I don't have Chrome.

How many files do you have on the disk? It's only certainly an error if SAS counts more file than there are.

Kees

Collapse -
Those Errors Still Indicate a Possible Connection Issue...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 24, 2014 3:21 AM PST

Please try this to reinitialize your connection: Turn off all computers on your network.. Then turn OFF the router, then turn OFF the modem (if it's separate from the router). Wait 5 minutes, then turn ON the modem, wait two minutes for it to re-initialize with the ISP server, then turn ON the router (if it's separate from the modem) wait two more minutes, then turn ON you computer. See if you can update now.

If not, then you might try downloading the manual update installer from each of the updates you've mentioned.. Download the manual installer file to your desktop, then run them.. For example, you can type the Knowledgebase article number into Google and find the downloadable installer for each update.. See the example at the link below. (Typing KB2760494 in Google, then access the website for IT professionsals eventually gets mean to the file download below.):

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41120

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Those Errors Still Indicate a Possible Connection Issue
by Big Steve / February 24, 2014 5:50 AM PST

Well I was able to update SuperAntiSpyware this afternoon; not once but twice but I wish it would do a full scan on this laptop and not continue to scan for more than 6 + hours and not finally end. Early this morning I stopped the scan because it seemed to be going nowhere; a total of 91 file items had been detected and yet the scan continued. I set Windows Defender to do a full scan before going to bed; when I got up this morning it too was still scanning; it indicated only 2% of my system had been scanned and it was over 4 hours into it's scan so I aborted that scan too.

Now about those Windows Updates; I attempted to update those again; 1 of the 6 updates was successful; the other 5 were not. You mentioned it might be a connectivity issue; my wireless router is a Linksys WRT54G model which is more than 8 years old. Do you think my router is beginning to play out? I will try doing the disconnecting of the modem and the router which you recommended and see if that will work.

What could be causing these security software scans to run so long? A virus in the computer preventing the software from scanning quicker? As for how many files I have on this laptop; where would I go to check for that? There are no word processing files stored on this laptop because I don't do word processing on this computer; only on my Dell desktop computer. Would photographs stored in My Pictures be classified as files? I have lots of vacation pics stored on this laptop. I'll let you know what happens once I do your disconnect test. If it is my Linksys WRT54G playing out; does Linksys still make the WRT54G or is there something out there on the market that's better? All I have on this laptop is wireless a, b, and g, no wireless n.

Big Steve
02/24/14

Collapse -
Yes, Pictures ARE Files...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 24, 2014 6:13 AM PST

...and lots of pictures, plus other files, mean longer scanning times.. As to 91 file items being detected, it's important for us to know what type of detections were identified.. If they're only cookies and other unimportant things, then there's nothing to worry about.. Still, in order to determine where the hang up is during the scans, watch to see which files are being scanned when it slows down.. You should be able to watch the scan process to determine such.

In addition, since you were able to run one of the updates, try installing them one at a time. Sometimes that will get the job done.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Yes, Pictures ARE Files...
by Big Steve / February 24, 2014 6:18 AM PST

Thanks for the info on pictures being files and I will try to do those other 5 Windows Updates one at a time.

Big Steve
02/24/14

Collapse -
Re: Those Errors Still Indicate a Possible Connection Issue
by Big Steve / February 24, 2014 6:14 AM PST

Sorry I left this information out of my previous post; my router is separate from my modem which was supplied to me by AT&T back in April 2006 when I made the move from 56k dialup to AT&T's entry level high speed internet service; AT&T's DSL Lite for $14.95 a month; no regrets. The modem which AT&T shipped to me was a Westell modem. AT&T's high speed internet customer service has been "birddogging" me for months wanting me to upgrade to their Uverse high speed internet service which they tell me comes with a different modem which has a built in router. I'm thinking about it since AT&T has already notified me that my current DSL service is going up later this year; to almost $60.00 a month.

I currently have AT&T's Extreme 6.0 DSL high speed service which is AT&T's fastest DSL plan; AT&T is trying to get me to switch to something called Uverse 12.0. My cable TV provider; Cable One is also trying to get me to switch to their service; they're currently running a promtion for a 50mbps? service at $35.00 a month. I don't know if their speed is faster or slower than my current AT&T Extreme 6.0's speed since I haven't bothered to check. Which speed is more important when comparing ISP's speeds? Their download or their upload speed?

Big Steve
02/24/14

Collapse -
If You Never Updload Data To A Website, or Such....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 24, 2014 6:18 AM PST

...then basically, the only speed important to you is "download". On the other hand, if you own a website, or upload pictures to shared "cloud" folders, then "upload" may be of prime interest.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: If You Never Upload Data To A Website, or Such....
by Big Steve / February 24, 2014 10:07 AM PST

I don't own a website nor do I upload pictures to shared "cloud" folders whatever that means but the question I asked about "upload" vs "download" internet speed do I understand you correctly when you stated previously that I should only be concerned about the "upload" speed? I'll go to one of those speed testing websites to see what my current DSL speed is and will come back here and post what I find out.

Big Steve
02/24/14

Collapse -
(NT) Nope, Be Concerned About Download Speed.
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 24, 2014 11:29 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Nope, Be Concerned About Download Speed.
by Big Steve / February 24, 2014 5:27 PM PST

I went to a few websites last night and checked my AT&T's Extreme 6.0 DSL's speed; details below:

1. AT&T.com
Download - 5.88Mbps
Upload - 0.45Mbps

2. SpeakEasy.net
Download - 5.85Mbps
Upload - 0.42Mbps

3. SpeedTest.net
Download - 5.84Mbps
Upload - 0.42Mbps

4. XFinity.net
Download - 5.74Mbps
Upload - 0.45Mbps

5. SpeedOfMe.net
Download - 6.15Mbps
Upload - 0.49Mbps

Big Steve
02/25/14

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.