General discussion

Unable to print to WiFi Canon Pixma MX870 due to Firewall

My home network consists of two desktop computers and two laptops. The wireless router is a Netgear WNR834Bv2. The Canon Pixma MX870 is also connected to the network via WiFi. I am able to print from the one desktop and the two laptops that are connected to the network by WiFi with no problems, however, the one desktop that is connected to the router via ethernet cable will not print unless I turn off the McAfee firewall. With the McAfee firewall enabled, the print job spools correctly up until it indicates an error when the MX870 printer dialogue box comes up and says that "The printer is not responding." The desktop I am having problems with is a Dell Dimension DXP061 running 32bit Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2. The two Laptops are also running Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2. The desktop that is not having any problems is running Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3. All are running the same current version of McAfee Security Center. I am able to scan from the MX870 to the affected desktop with no problems even with the firewall enabled, the problem is only with printing while the firewall is enabled.
I have removed and reinstalled the print driver on the affected desktop several times with no change. I have confirmed that the IP address assigned to the Pixma MX870 is in the McAfee firewall connection list with a security level of "home". I've also added the printer IP address into the connection list as a single IP entry as well as it being in the range of IP addresses for the home network. I've confirmed that the applications Canon MP Navigator EX, Canon IJ Network Tool, and Canon IJ Network Scan Utility are all in the McAfee Program Permissions list with Full access. The ports that are open in the McAfee firewall list originally were: UPnP (5000, 1900, 2869) and Common Operating System Ports (5357). I subsequently opened all of the other ports listed with no change.
Has anyone else seen this and determined if there are other Firewall settings that I should be investigating? There doesn?t appear to be any difference between the original firewall settings of the affected desktop and the other computers which are able to print. Since all computers are going through the Netgear WNR834Bv2 router to get to the printer , I don?t think it?s an issue with the router settings (particularly since turning off the McAfee firewall allows the computer to print), however, is there something regarding this computer being connected to the router via Ethernet in combination with the McAfee firewall that is causing the problem?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Unable to print to WiFi Canon Pixma MX870 due to Firewall
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Unable to print to WiFi Canon Pixma MX870 due to Firewall
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
will not print unless I turn off the McAfee firewall.

will not print unless I turn off the McAfee firewall.

That's your clue that McAfee needs to tell you what to change or allow. I do not have a list but do ask Canon and McAfee.

I own a mx870 but ejected Norton and Mcafee.
Bob

- Collapse -
McAfee and Canon Tech Support re: Pixma MX870 WiFi Printing

I've allowed a McAfee technician to remote in and he claims that McAfee Security Center is properly configured. I've e-mailed Canon tech support, but haven't heard back from them yet. What I'm concerned with is that this is an "inter-relationship" issue and that each of the vendors will say that it's not a problem with their product, thus my post to an open forum.

- Collapse -
Which is why I uninstalled McAfee.

Even when it was properly configured, troubles continued. Not only with the printer but online games.

There are folk that will want to keep McAfee in spite of any troubles it brings.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info