Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Unable to print to a shared printer

Windows XP Pro SP1a + most of critical updates. Adaware, Spybot SD, Spywareblaster, NAV.

Windows ME + most updates.

Situation:
4 pc (2 Win ME and 2 Win XP) on a LAN through a Router and Switch.

HP LaserJet 1150 Printer connected directly (via USB)to Windows ME PC and Shared.

Installed drivers on One of Windows XP... everything Works normally, as it supposed to.

Installed drivers on Second Windows XP, Drivers installed, Print Test page OK...

Then came the problem:
When trying to print from any application, I get an error message 'You have no Access .. etc.'

When look at Printer and Fax control panel, The printer Icon is Greyout and offline.

Tried to uninstalled and reinstalled drivers.. same problem... (please note Print test page OK)

Tried other shared printer available.. all works with no problem.

Any suggestion or idea how to fix this?

Thank you for any information regarding my problem.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to print to a shared printer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to print to a shared printer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Unable to print to a shared printer

In reply to: Unable to print to a shared printer

Gakada,

On the problem XP PC, as a warm up procedure, try the suggestions from the following MSKB:

Q312055 - " Cannot Use Network Printer If Your Password Is Not Saved"

Also, can you tell how many shared resources with different passwords do you have on the windows Me PC were XP PC is denied ?

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re:Re:Unable to print to a shared printer

In reply to: Re:Unable to print to a shared printer

Sorry for the delay..

On windows ME there is 1 logon user Saved password and 1 Data folder that have a shared password... other than that there is no other password.

Note:
1. The printer icon is greyout ..
2. Able to print from other XP pc. (even though the printer icon is greyout too.

Thank you..

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Unable to print to a shared printer

In reply to: Re:Re:Unable to print to a shared printer

OK let's try the following things. On the XP PC:

1 Disable WebClient service. Click Start, Run, type services.msc and press Enter.

Scroll down to WebClient, double click it. Under Startup type, change it to Disabled, OK, restart XP.

2. Disable searching for scheduled tasks. Sounds silly, but XP is looking for them.

Browse to the following registry path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace

Right click {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF} subfolder and select Delete.

3.Delete stored network passwords

From Control Panel, User Accounts, click actual User's name. Click Manage my network passwords and remove all the entries there (except .Net).

4. Is windows ME printer password protected ? If so, remove the password protection from the printer share on that PC.

On XP PC, from a command promt type the following line and press Enter

net use LPT2 \\computer_Me_name\printername

Create a new printer and and specify the redirected LPT2 port.

If all the above steps doesn't solve the problem, it's time to wipe out all the printers from XP (a long and special procedure) in order to have a clean printing state.

Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Unable to print to a shared printer

In reply to: Re:Re:Re:Unable to print to a shared printer

Thank you for the tips.. I will try it tomorrow ..

On this XP I have Adobe PDF printer (I think its part of Adobe Acrobat -Not the Reader- installation) as the default. does this matter? Should I remove this too?

Thanks again ..

Collapse -
You might try removing it too, shouldn't hurt ... [NT]

In reply to: Re:Re:Re:Re:Unable to print to a shared printer

Collapse -
[NT] By the way.. No password involved in the printer.

Collapse -
In order to see the whole content (truncated by Forum's software bugs), select the content and copy and paste it to a document [NT]

Collapse -
Grey out? How about a NO word in the registry.

http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/177/ for example. It's up to you to look at that registry area for the many other NO words that can go in there.

There's also a chance the user that is logged on, doesn't have rights or permissions to do this. I test this by adding them to either Power Users or Admin groups to see if that fixes it.

Bob
Collapse -
Re:Grey out? How about a NO word in the registry.

In reply to: Grey out? How about a NO word in the registry.

Bob, the printer icon that was greyout is on the XP machine .. after I tried to install or add the printer.

Collapse -
And how about a NO word in the registry?

In reply to: Re:Grey out? How about a NO word in the registry.

I can't check this for you or the rights of the user.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:And how about a NO word in the registry?

In reply to: And how about a NO word in the registry?

I'll give a look on the windows ME registry tomorrow.

Thank You.

Collapse -
Tried every suggestion given,

...Still unable to print on the shared printer.

For the sake of experiment, I'm planning to install the printer directly to Win XP machine and try to share from there... see what happened...

Thank you for all the help.

Collapse -
Re:Tried every suggestion given. Try again ...

In reply to: Tried every suggestion given,

OK, more info is needed regarding your workgroup context:

1. How are assigned the IPs to each PC : dynamic or static.

2. Is there any other protocol installed besides TCP/IP ? If yes, where and which.

3. On windows Me (with the shared printer) do you have any software firewall ? Supplementary answer for the rest PCs.

4. On windows XP are you trying to print from a limited account ?

5. Can you browse from windows XP to a shared folder on Windows Me ?

Note

For windows XP check out for "enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" check box. Should be checked in the advanced properties of TCP/IP. I've included the reference MSKB article: Q318030 - "You Cannot Access Shared Files and Folders or Browse Computers in the Workgroup"

6. Regarding the router, what's the model / manufacturer and is the latest firmware installed ?

7. Any other info and / trial details (including net related commands from command prompts) might help (if you don't know, just ask).

The more you'll give, the more you'll get close to the culprit.

Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re:Re:Tried every suggestion given. Try again ...

In reply to: Re:Tried every suggestion given. Try again ...

1. How are assigned the IPs to each PC : dynamic or static.
-- Dynamic IP

2. Is there any other protocol installed besides TCP/IP ? If yes, where and which.
-- it a standard windows xp protocol (QOS, TCP/IP, File printer sharing and client for microsoft), NO additional protocol --

3. On windows Me (with the shared printer) do you have any software firewall ? Supplementary answer for the rest PCs.
-- NO Firewall on any of the PC's --

4. On windows XP are you trying to print from a limited account ?
-- Tried from both type of account, same result --

5. Can you browse from windows XP to a shared folder on Windows Me?
-- Yes, file sharing is not problem --

Note

For windows XP check out for "enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" check box. Should be checked in the advanced properties of TCP/IP. I've included the reference MSKB article: Q318030 - "You Cannot Access Shared Files and Folders or Browse Computers in the Workgroup"

6. Regarding the router, what's the model / manufacturer and is the latest firmware installed ?
- Linksys BEFSR41 with latest firmware.

7. Any other info and / trial details (including net related commands from command prompts) might help (if you don't know, just ask).
-- No Net related command was made.... Note: Print Test Page was OK, can not print from any other application office etc. --

Its a simple LAN: Cable modem -> Router -> Swithes -> PC's , with no other setting or command.

Thank you very much for the help..

Collapse -
UPnP ...

In reply to: Re:Re:Tried every suggestion given. Try again ...

At this point I'd go with a UPnP scenario, which I suspected before but wanted to be gain more info. You have a windows XP and windows Me context and a router capable of UPnP. If you remember, you played sometime before (maybe two years ago) with UPnP under windows Me. For myself, the reason for the two printers to be present, but grayed out was the signal that somehow, the printers were discovered by this mechanism and that's why they show up under My Network places.

So, I'd include below a technical article regarding this topic "Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) Client Support". You can find there the places for Enabling/Disabling the UI and the corresponding service SSDP.

You can compare the two Windows XP and the two Windows Me in order to see the differences in this respect. That's for the moment the next troubleshooting idea.

Another thought is related with Q817778. - "Overview of the Advanced Networking Pack for Windows XP". By chance, do you have this installed on any windows XP ?

Good Luck,

Cetin

Collapse -
Re:UPnP ...

In reply to: UPnP ...

Yes I have installed Q817778

As for uPnP stuff, I have to confesed, its going too deep for me.. although I might try it later, but for now, I'm going to try to install the printer on the Windows XP machine and shared.

Thank you very much for all the help.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.