Peripherals forum

General discussion

Unable to print Quicken reports on new HP printer

by Big Steve / January 1, 2010 5:40 AM PST

I have an HP Photosmart C5280 All In One inkjet printer which I've had in use for just over a year and it scans, it copies, it prints, but one thing I haven't been able to do with this printer is print out any Quicken reports. I have the C5280 set as my default printer. Two weeks ago, unable to address Christmas cards on this printer I disconnected it from my computer, connected a 10 year old HP 895Cse inkjet printer to my computer and was able to address my envelopes.

While still connected I tried to and was able to print out some Quicken reports using my HP 895Cse inkjet printer. I now have my C5280 connected back to my computer, I tried again to print out some Quicken reports but still couldn't. I have the C5280 set as my default printer in Control Panel. Any reason why I can print Quicken reports on one printer but not on another printer? Could it be a printer port issue? I haven't called HP's tech support yet because I can't stand having to deal with HP's tech support in India.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to print Quicken reports on new HP printer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to print Quicken reports on new HP printer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What exactly does ...
by Kees Bakker / January 1, 2010 6:06 AM PST

"I have been able". What happens if you try?

It must be a driver issue, I think. Did you download the latest driver for your OS (Vista, I think) from the HP site?

It might work with a small work-around. Print to pdf, then use your pdf-reader (Adobe or foxit for example) to print. You didn't tell you couldn't print pdf's on this printer, so I assume that works.
If you don't have a way to print to pdf, please post again so we can tell you what to download to do that.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: What exactly does ...
by Big Steve / January 1, 2010 7:16 AM PST
In reply to: What exactly does ...

My computer's OS is Windows Home XP w SP2, I go to HP's Solution Center once a week and check for updates. I just checked for updates today and none were available. I can print pdf's on this printer. I scan documents into this computer using the C5280 and scan them to a pdf file which I rename later so it's easier to find in my scans folder.

Collapse -
Re: printing pdf's
by Kees Bakker / January 1, 2010 7:58 AM PST

Worth a try, I'd say.

Download both the "free download" and the "free converter" from http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/Writer.asp and install them. This will create a "pdf printer" that - if you select it as the printer to print to in your print dialog window - ask for a folder to put the pdf-file in. If all goes as it should go, you can print that pdf.

It would have been more satisfying to know why the direct way doesn't work, but sometimes it's easier to accept that it doesn't and just use something that works well enough.

Kees

Collapse -
Maybe not much help here but google seems to turn up
by Steven Haninger / January 2, 2010 7:20 PM PST

problems with Quicken and some HP printers including yours. You didn't mention or OS or version of Quicken and I doubt I could help anyway. It does seem that 64 bit versions of Vista are commonly affected. You might want to consider that this isn't a problem just with the printer but some compatibility issue shared between Intuit and HP. I've used Quicken for a long time...back to the '80s with DOS and have run into some printing problems though I've forgotten what they were. I do recall one that had to do with color printing. If I recall correctly, I needed to go to printer properties and tell it to print in B & W only. This may have been an older printer that didn't really have a black cartridge however. Anyway...and if you haven't done so...you might check the Quicken forums regarding your problem. I think you'll find that you have plenty of company there.

Collapse -
Re: Maybe not much help here but google seems to turn up
by Big Steve / February 16, 2010 10:26 PM PST

Is there a Quicken forum here on CNET?

Collapse -
HP Photosmart printing
by Ron Bruce / March 11, 2010 9:28 AM PST

I have has several clients with the same problem in both Quicken and Quickbooks. Check and make sure that under printer properties>advanced tab that the printer is set to "print directly to the printer" and not spooled. I don't know what OS your on but for XP as an example you would go to; Start> Settings> Printers and Faxes>. Then right mouse click on the HP printer and select Properties> Advanced. Then go back into Quicken and re-set the printer options. Hope this helps, it has for a number of clients with the same problem.

Collapse -
Re: HP Photosmart printing
by Big Steve / March 11, 2010 3:22 PM PST
In reply to: HP Photosmart printing

My computer which is a Dell Dimension 3100 desktop PC came configured with Windows Home XP w/SP2. I'll try what you have recommended to see if that will work because right now I'm having to print out my Quicken reports on my old workhorse of an inkjet printer, an HP 895Cse Deskjet inkjet printer which in my opinion is one of the best inkjet printers HP ever made for home consumer use.

My original one which if I was still using it today would be 12 years old but I have managed to purchase 2 used ones off of Ebay in the last 5 years, both of them were in mint condition and still are because I take good care of them. The replacement ink cartridges are still pricey because they are the larger cartridges, a #45 black and a #23 color.

The new printers out today by HP use much smaller cartridges which is how HP makes a good return on continued sales when the printers out now are selling for $100.00 or less today new. I had my original 895Cse hooked up to an old Windows 95 desktop PC since 1998 when I first received it but I had to retire it a few years ago. I still have it stored in my closet because it had a lot of data on it, mostly word processing documents.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?