Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Unable to print. PSE 5.0

by gaia / February 5, 2010 8:15 PM PST

Using Adobe Photoshop Elements. When I try to print the screen freezes. I was advised to apply the version 5 update for running under Vista but when I down load and try to open the file the sceen starts flashing, Vista's rotating donut starts rolling and shows the message "Internet Explorer has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.Windows will close the program"
The Adobe PSE icon on my desktop has the Windows security shield showing on top.Could this be a Windows security issue? I have removed Windows firewal as I have Norton AV. Had to remove my previous AV as it was creating problems with Adobe PSE.
Adobe forums were unable to help. Using Vista Home Premium on a Dell Inspiron. Help please?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to print. PSE 5.0
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to print. PSE 5.0
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just In Case It's Malware
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 6, 2010 12:52 AM PST

Norton doesn't find a lot of the newest spyware.. Therefore, please follow the instructions below to install and run full system scan with two free malware removal tools:

Download ALL of the tools below on a friend or family member's, CLEAN computer and copy them to a CD or flash drive, then transfer them to the problem machine. (Yes, it's OK to download and run them on the "problem" machine but many times, the virus/malware will prevent such from happening, therefore, you may need to use a separate, clean computer to download the files..)

First, please download and run the following tool to help allow the removal programs below to run. (courtesy of Grinler at BleepingComputer.com)
There are 4 different versions. If one of them won't run then try to run the other one.
Vista and Win7 users need to right click and choose Run as Admin
You only need to get one of them to run, not all of them.

Rkill.exe http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.exe
Rkill.com http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.com
Rkill.scr http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.scr
Rkill.pif http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.pif

IMMEDIATELY after running the "Rkill" tool above, run/install the Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware installer and update files from the links below which you've also copied to a CD or flash drive, and transfered to the problem machine. Do NOT restart the computer after running Rkill.

Once downloaded and before transferring Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware to the problem machine, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else like "Gogetum.exe", then copy the installer file and the update file to a CD or flash drive.. Transfer the file to the problem machine, then install the "Gogetum.exe" file, then run the update to get the program current.. After that, run a full system scan and delete anything it finds.

Malwarebytes Installer Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Malwarebytes Manual Updater link
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/database/mbam-rules.exe

Next, install and run a full system scan with the SuperAntispyware program and the manual updater from the links below. As before, you may need to rename the installer file to get the program to install.:

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

SuperAntispyware Manual Updater
http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

In a few situations, in order for the program to run, it was also necessary to rename the main "mbam.exe" file also after installing it.. It resides in the C:\Programs Files\Malwarebytes Antimalware folder....

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
In case you're Malware free...
by Brechan / February 6, 2010 9:00 PM PST

and you are using IE8; I have found that on my own computer (which is virus-free) that IE8 is very buggy.
So I have changed my default browser to Safari, but you can change your browser to any one you want (eg: Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera, etc.).

Since switching browsers this problem doesn't arise.

Hope this helps

Collapse -
Unable to print PSE 5.0
by gaia / February 7, 2010 11:31 AM PST

My thanks to Grif and Brechan.
I should have mentioned I have Anti-Malware software ie "Malwarebytes". Scans tell me the computer is clean. Can I trust this to mean I would not need to apply Grif's malware removal tools? My lack of computer skills hopes so!!
Bit alarmed to see Norton fails to fully deliver.
I will replace IE8 with Firefox but did so before and had trouble with Windows "Outlook". Still wondering about the Windows security shield showing over the Adobe PSE icon on the desk top.
Many thanks again

Collapse -
Windows security shield over the Adobe PSE icon
by Brechan / February 7, 2010 4:32 PM PST

It could mean that because Adobe has yet to be updated that (at least in Norton's point of view) it (Adobe) looks suspicious.
You could try putting Adobe into Norton's list of exceptions; or perhaps once Adobe has been updated, the icon will disappear.

Collapse -
Unable to print. PSE 5.0
by gaia / February 7, 2010 8:17 PM PST

Thank you Brechen.
As suggested I tried that-exclude from Norton- but no improvement, computer still freezes when I hit the print command. Also, wouldn't it leave the program open to virus attack?
Can't put on the update until the problem is solved, refer previous post. Catch twenty two! The shield seems to indicate it may be a Microsoft problem but I could be way wrong.

Collapse -
Which Norton product and version are you using?
by Michael_York / February 8, 2010 3:17 AM PST

Hi gaia,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

Can you please tell me which Norton product and version you have installed? You can determine this information by opening your Norton product, choose the "Help & Support" link in the upper right corner and then choose "About".

If by chance you are using an older version of a Norton product, as long as you have a valid subscription, you are entitled to free product updates for the life of your subscription. It is always recommended that you have the latest version installed to keep you protected against the latest threats. If you need to update, please visit the Norton Update Center at the link below.

Norton Update Center

After you have updated, launch your Norton product and then manually run LiveUpdate to ensure that you have the latest definition updates applied.

Next, restart your computer into Windows Safe Mode, launch Norton and then complete a "Full System Scan" from Safe Mode to check for infections.

Thank you,
Mike

Collapse -
Unable to print. PSE 5.0
by gaia / February 8, 2010 8:27 AM PST

Mike

I have the latest version.

Norton Anti Virus Version 17.5.0.127.
Latest definition updates should be ok

Should I still run a "full system scan from safe mode"?

Collapse -
Please run a Full System Scan
by Michael_York / February 9, 2010 2:16 AM PST

Hi gaia,

Yes, please do do complete a Full System Scan while in Safe Mode. You may actually want to choose "Safe Mode with Networking", as once you launch Norton it may ask to check for updated definition files. Let me know if any infections were found.

Thanks,

Mike

Collapse -
Unable to print. PSE 5.0
by gaia / February 9, 2010 9:12 PM PST

Mike

I ran a full system scan in safe mode. Result was 5 tracking cookies detected. Could not try Adobe PSE printing as a message "Unsupported Configuration, Adobe PSE requires a screen resolution of at least 1024x768 pixels and colour quality greater than 256 colors" blocked moving further. My computer is set at 1680x1050. Refresh rate 60 hertz so don't understand the problem. No security shield was showing over the Adobe PSE icon on the desktop! Does this indicate the default settings and device drivers as possible causes can be eliminated (sign on screen)
Thanks

Collapse -
Not caused by Norton
by Michael_York / February 10, 2010 1:48 AM PST

Hi gaia,

Thanks for the update and I'm glad to hear that you are not infected. It appears that there is something wrong with the installation of PSE on your computer, or there is some problem with the drivers that are causing this problem. I would suggest that you contact Adobe for assistance in further troubleshooting the problem.

Thank you,
Mike

Collapse -
Not caused by Norton
by gaia / February 10, 2010 1:33 PM PST
In reply to: Not caused by Norton

Mike

I suspected so!
Have been talking to people on the Adobe web site without the benefit of a solution. Starting to wonder if Adobe PSE 5.0 is inherently faulty! Does one move up a notch,or go elsewhere?

Lisa

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?