Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

unable to print on my network

by TDUG / August 4, 2007 8:48 AM PDT

For years I have been able to print from networked computers in my home ( two desktops running XP pro hardwired, one laptop XP wireless and one desktop xp wireless) to my main computer thru a router. The main computer ran XP home edition for years until my hard drive crashed and left me without an operating system ( The PC is an HP pavillion and had the recovery disc partitioned on the hard drive). I installed a new hard drive and was able to install XP pro from my boys computer that was received from a home school company that they use. The company had sent me a OEM version of XP pro with all their sofware on it that were copied on blank cd's. When I initially set my main computer up again I was able to print from all my computers. I then grew tired of always logging on with a password that was setup by the home school company. Now I cannot print from any computer other than the main computer where the printer is connected.

My first question would be: Can I delete the users on my main computer that were setup by the Home school company and start my own user?

Next: Do I need a password? I would rather not have one. I only need one user account on the main computer.

If I can delete the users and passwords, should I move any or all documents out of the user I want to delete ?

Will any of this solve my problem of not printing from my networked printers?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: unable to print on my network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: unable to print on my network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry, but I need to check this first.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 4, 2007 8:46 PM PDT

You said, "and was able to install XP pro from my boys computer that was received from a home school company that they use".

CNET has a policy, strictly enforced, of not providing help where a "not-genuine" version of Windows XP is being used. This is because copying an Operating System for use on another computer, or using a genuine version of XP that is already in use elsewhere is illegal.

Your statement concerns me. Although you go on to say that this company had sent you an OEM version of XP I am not clear what their intention was. Was that original OEM provided for your use on your computer, or was it provided for your boys' computer?

You need to be crystal clear on this.

Mark

Collapse -
Generic thoughts once the legal issues are worked out
by Steven Haninger / August 4, 2007 9:35 PM PDT

I'm not able to visualize the full network. You refer to a "main" computer. Is this some sort of server or does it just host a shared printer? In any event, users connecting to it across the network will need to be authenticated. It might be that, on the main computer, the sharing is restricted to defined users. As such, the PC you are working with cannot just have your username of choice and access such a printer. Your username would need to be defined on the PC hosting the printer and permission given. You didn't mention if you were able to access other shares on the network but just not able to print. having access to the network first is imperative. I would also add that a better way to share a printer on a network is to have one that's not dependent on another to host it. If you can, you might consider adding print server hardware. This isn't difficult but not all such are compatible with all printers. A printer with built in networking is best. It does seem to me that if it was working before the software reload and not afterwards, some step was missing in configuring the printer. As Mark suggests, you need to make sure all is legit or you will probably have bigger problems than just the printer somewhere down the road. The software disks aren't the problem as long as you had and used the original product ID code with the re installation.

Since you find logging on to a computer to be an annoyance, you might want to consider using the autologon feature from MS's TweakUI. It's possible to not require a password but, if the rest of the network is configured to require such, you won't be welcome to join it.

Collapse -
A hint would be
by PudgyOne / August 5, 2007 5:04 AM PDT

Where are the drivers for the printer?

I use a print server and had to install the print drivers on each laptop.

If using a desktop as the main computer and networking, then this computer will need the drivers.

Rick

Collapse -
fixxed
by TDUG / August 5, 2007 9:10 AM PDT
In reply to: A hint would be

Thanks for any input. I just went back and put the original password in for the user account and everyone can now print from their computers.

Collapse -
Glad you got it fixed
by PudgyOne / August 5, 2007 1:22 PM PDT
In reply to: fixxed

Thanks for posting back.

Rick

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?