Computer Help forum

General discussion

unable to preview or open images saved in my pc

by lordachyut / November 7, 2008 2:14 AM PST

well i was facing some problems in my pc which i have pointed out in the thread Dr watson debbugger.....i searched google to find the solution to that problem...i found in that search that i am facing that problem because of image preview in various drives...so to shutdown the image preview there was a command which need to be type in start menu ->run ....
when i did so after that day i am not able to open any of the images in my computer which are saved on my hardisk...whenever i right click on the image i dont get any open option....
1st option showing there is preview which wnt work...

the only way to open the image is to click on edit.....
please do help....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: unable to preview or open images saved in my pc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: unable to preview or open images saved in my pc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: image problem,
by Kees Bakker / November 7, 2008 3:29 AM PST

Well, I read the previous thread (http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6122_102-0.html?forumID=44&threadID=315300) and all I could make of it was your problem was related to Kaspersky anti-virus somehow.

Now you tell that it had something to do with image preview and that you ran some command you don't tell about. That mysterious command seems to has removed open and preview from the right-click menu of images.

If this is the correct interpretation, please tell:
- what your original problem was
- how you found this "solution"
- what this solution exactly was
Until then, it's just a mystery.

Kees

Collapse -
mystery unsolved
by lordachyut / November 9, 2008 4:54 PM PST
In reply to: Re: image problem,

well in my previous thread i wrote that i was having some problem in opening my computer..but it was the administrator who helped me out by telling that its the antivirus(kaspersky) which is creating the problem.....

but before the administrator gave me the solution of that previous thread by asking me to uninstall the kaspersky antivirus...i tried google for the solution...in google search i found that somewhere written that this problem may be due to video/pictures previews....so they gave me a code and asked me to run it in the run option we get in start menu....i did so...after doiin that images are not being previewd or opened in my computer....when i double click any image nothing happens or if i right click any on the image the 1st option i am getting is preview which is again not working....

Collapse -
"so they gave me a code"
by Kees Bakker / November 9, 2008 5:22 PM PST
In reply to: mystery unsolved

"so they gave me a code and asked me to run it in the run option".

Seems like it wasn't exactly the right code. It's difficult to help you if you don't tell what that code was.

It's not feasible, I think, to ask "them" if "they" was some page you found with google, unless is was some kind of a forum and you can ask there. That would be the best solution I can think of.

Kees

Collapse -
oooopppsssss
by lordachyut / November 9, 2008 6:15 PM PST

it was not any forum....it was somewhere on google search...well i dont remember the code...i just copy pasted it

Collapse -
(NT) Then try system restore. Might work.
by Kees Bakker / November 9, 2008 6:17 PM PST
In reply to: oooopppsssss
Collapse -
fortunately
by lordachyut / November 9, 2008 6:24 PM PST

well fortunately searching again on google i found that code.....it is "regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll"....without the quotes.......
and to re enable the image previewing the code is "regsvr32 shimgvw.dll"

its very unfortunate to know being such a big administrator of such a big site you cannot figure out this

Collapse -
Then reenable it with the code you gave: ....
by Kees Bakker / November 9, 2008 6:31 PM PST
In reply to: fortunately

regsvr32 shimgvw.dll

If that has side-effects you don't like, some other thing is wrong.Then better contact the administrator again, because it doesn't seem to be Kaspersky.

You still didn't tell your problem, I think. If it's something like "Explorer crashes when showing a folder with images" it seems like it's a corrupted image in that folder. If that's the case, a quick way to solve it is to set Explorer to not show thumbnails.
Then by elimination find out what picture(s) it doesn't like, by moving all out, then gradually moving some in.

It's rather unfortunate you think we are clairvoyant. We aren't. We rely on you to provide all necessary information.

Kees

Collapse -
excuses
by lordachyut / November 9, 2008 6:39 PM PST

well i have very clearly mentioned it out that is not that explorere crashed due to image opening....
explorer crashing was a differeny t problem which was solved by unistalling the kaspersky...
this problem is not related to that problem...
if it woukd have been related to that problem i would have posted it into the same thread and would have not opened a new thread....

i just gave the reference of that problem that while searching the solution for that problem i got messed up with this problem....

i never wrote that due to windows crashing problem i am having this image previewing problem....

i have repeatedly wrote that i got a code from google search which on running has disabled image previewing and opening....

Collapse -
Not important anymore.
by Kees Bakker / November 9, 2008 7:25 PM PST
In reply to: excuses

You found the code that enables it again. That's all you need, isn't it? And you found it yourself, without any help from me. Good job.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.