Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Unable to play DVD on Computer for Canon DC100 Camcorder

by lorryfran / November 10, 2006 11:22 AM PST

I purchased a Canon DC100 Camcorder but unable to play the DVD on the computer. I am running XP Home SP2 and my InterVideo WINDVD Player won't play it. It works on the DVD Player but just cannot play it on the computer. I have a HP Pavilion a1200a. The sole reason I purchased this particular Camcorder WAS to be able to play it in both. I can play other DVD's on the computer but just not this DVD from the Camcorder.
Can someone help please or has a suggestion on what I can do to get it to play on the puter.
Thank you
Lorraine

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to play DVD on Computer for Canon DC100 Camcorder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to play DVD on Computer for Canon DC100 Camcorder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A couple of questions...
by boya84 / November 10, 2006 2:19 PM PST

1) What kind of DVD are you using in the camera?
If you are using a DVD-R disc you need to finalize it before you can use it anywhere.
If you are using a DVD-RW you can use it only in DVD players (and computer DVD drives) that recognize -RW discs... plus they need to be finalized, too...

Check page 61 of your manual regarding finalizing...

2) You *might* be missing a codec... I recently needed to get a new video codec for an HP (Compaq) nc6220 laptop running XP and found that installing this http://www.xpcodecpack.com/ fixed the video-clip playback issue I was having... I don't know if it will resolve your specific issue and anything you download form the internet is done so at your own risk... but it worked for me.

Collapse -
Re: Playing DVD from Canon DC100
by lorryfran / November 11, 2006 6:56 AM PST

Thank you for your reply. I am using a DVD-RW and I did finalise it in the camera before I played it. It does work in the DVD Player but for some reason the computer is not recognising it and keeps asking me to put in the disc. My computer plays DVD-R/DVD+R/DVD-RW/DVD+RW. I also downloaded the codecs as advised and another program called VLC Media Player which I thought would work but once again its not recognising the disc when I put it in. Could there be a problem with my DVD drive? When I put in any other DVD on the computer it plays.
I am at a loss and not sure what I can do next! Any other advice would be very helpful.
Thanks once again.
Lorraine

Collapse -
I don't think the 'puter DVD drive is the problem...
by boya84 / November 11, 2006 7:48 AM PST

since it plays back other DVDs in various formats. There seems to be a missing codec or driver - but we just don't which one it is. There are LOTS of them. I don't know why this is such an issue... very odd.

If you would be so kind as to humor me... what happens when you put *that* -RW disc back in the camera and try to finalize it? What happens if you unfinalize it and put it in your computer DVD drive?

Well... we know that DVD-RW seems to be having a problem - have you tried using a DVD-R in your camera just to see if that works in your computer?

Collapse -
I read through the HP site
by boya84 / November 11, 2006 8:22 AM PST

regarding your 1200a...

1) the other discs you *can* play - I presume they are all normal sized DVDs - and your camera uses the smaller 8 cm discs... I just need to you to confirm this. It should not make a difference. You should be placing the disc in the tray in the center area - like when you playback on your DVD player connected to your TV...

2) humor me again... turn the disc over in the tray... see if the computer can read it... what happens?

3) Can you see the disc when it is in the drive - that is, place the disc in the tray, close the tray - in "My Computer" can you see the drive *and* the disc? When you double-click on the DVD drive, and the window opens, what do you see?

4) Have you tried contacting HP?

Collapse -
Canon DC100
by lorryfran / November 11, 2006 9:10 AM PST

Thanks once again for your quick reply. Here's what I just finished doing. I put the disc back into the camera and it asked me to Unfinalise it. Did that, then tried to play it on the DVD Player and Computer nothing happend. Refinalised it and it played on the DVD Player but not computer. The green light on the puter flashes on the tower as to read the disc then after a few minutes stopped. I opened up My computer then clicked on the E drive which shows DVD-RW Drive E.
After a minute it asked me to "Please insert Disc into Drive " which it was already in. I reinserted the disc and same thing. It appears the disc is not being recognised. I have an 8cm disc for my mobile phone and when I put that in to install the program it worked just fine. I haven't tried a DVD-R 8cm disc yet so maybe I will get one and give that a try. If all else fails, then it looks like I may have to contact HP and see if they can do something but I'm not going to hold me breath lol. I will let you know what happens.
Thank you for all your help and if you know of anything else I can try please let me know.
Thanks again,
Lorraine

Collapse -
Canon DVD 100
by lorryfran / November 11, 2006 10:45 AM PST

Good news!! I just recorded to a DVD-R on the camera and it worked on the computer without any qualms at all. It opened up immediately and played in InterVideo WINDVD 5. Thank you so much for your help at least now I know it works. But it still begs the question as to why it won't play the DVD-RW? On the front of the tower it shows DVD-R/DVD+R Writer/CD-Writer so you would think it should have played it don't you think? If you know the answer to this puzzling question I would still like to know.
But all told, I am at least happy with your help with this Boya so THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
Lorraine

Collapse -
YAY! DVD-R it is!
by boya84 / November 11, 2006 11:57 AM PST
In reply to: Canon DVD 100

That is so odd.

You did all the work - sometimes, another angle is needed - I did nothing but push with the other angle. I agree that the -RW should work. I have no idea why they don't work as advertised. The bad news is that you lose the flexibility of RW, but the good news is that -R discs are relatively inexpensive, so WHO CARES!

Thank you for humoring me, not getting too frustrated and providing timely responses. And congratulations on finding something that works for your set up.

I am happy you are happy!

Bill

Collapse -
Canon DC 100 Camcorder
by mrjonadams / April 23, 2008 8:50 AM PDT

I have a Canon DC 100 Camcorder and i'm having problems.I want to place a video on youtube. I seem to have tried everything.I am now trying (Total Video converter). Anything would be helpful. Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.