HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

unable to open word documents

by sabina_2004 / November 15, 2004 9:54 AM PST

Help please once more. After finally installing SP2 in win XP, I am unable to open word docs. sent to me from a win 98 computer. Ohhhh, the frustration is setting in: more and more problems, lol.
sabina.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: unable to open word documents
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: unable to open word documents
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: unable to open word documents
by roddy32 / November 15, 2004 10:02 AM PST

IF you are using outlook Express and it's a word doc. attachment, in Outlook Express, to go tools/options/security tab. Look down and UNcheck the box that says "do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus". That box is check marked by default. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by sabina_2004 / November 15, 2004 10:28 AM PST

Thank you, roddy. I have asked a friend to send me another wordpad and will know in a minute, if I can open it. God, I hope so. Will let you know a.s.a.p.

Collapse -
by sabina_2004 / November 15, 2004 10:52 AM PST

Roddy, I am sorry. It won't open. Also I noticed that I don't have wordpad any longer. I installed SP2 last night and somehow it seems to have disappeared since then. Can I re-install wordpad?
when I want to open someone else's, a wordpad window comes up with the following message:Can not load Word for Windows 6.0 files.
Do you have any idea?
Sabina.

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 15, 2004 11:00 AM PST

Not having Word Pad anymore would explain the error message and also not being able to open the attachment. It may or may not be related to SP2 as to where Word Pad went. I am familiar with many of the common issues from installing SP2 but that is one that I have not heard of. Sorry I couldn't fix your problem Sabina. Be patient and I'm sure someone else will know what to do about it.

Collapse -
by sabina_2004 / November 15, 2004 12:02 PM PST

Thank you, Roddy, all the same. I am grateful when someone replies, because it takes time and there is always something else to do. Also I have had nothing but problems in the last months or so, what with keyloggers and hijackers etc. I am ready to throw out SP2, but windows won't let me update anything else, so I was practically forced into installing it. Now I wonder, what else it might have messed up.
Thank you for trying to help me and I will try and be patient. (not one of my virtues!lol)
Sabina.

Collapse -
by rgiltner / November 15, 2004 12:12 PM PST

Hi Sabrina, Since you're talking about a word document I assume that pictures and all the extra stuff isn't is as important and the basic info. You can do a 'save as' of the document and give it a .txt instead of .doc file type and then any word processor (WordPerfect, Works, etc) can open it. Even Notepad can read .txt files. No pictures, etc, but you get all the text.
After you've done the 'save as', you can right click on the icon for the file and pick 'open with' and use note pad or one of the other suggested readers listed in the window that opens.
Good luck and let me know how it goes.
- RG

Collapse -
by sabina_2004 / November 15, 2004 1:31 PM PST

Hello RG,
you won't believe it, but noooooooo, I cannot open the doc. I have changed its format and all I get is gibberish and part of the text, but most of it is as you probably know, all in letters mixed up. But perhaps you might be able to tell me where I could find wordpad to reinstall or how I can re-install it. It is no longer under my accessories and I don't know where to look for it. Maybe the SP2 installation got rid of it?
I must admit I really enjoy the pc, but I am in need of a respite, haha.
Thank you for helping.
Sabina.

Collapse -
by Tufenuf / November 15, 2004 11:06 PM PST

Sabina, If you have a copy of wordpad.exe put it in your C:\Programs\Windows NT\Accessories folder and it will then appear in your Start\Programs\Accessories menu. There should also be a copy in your C:\WINNT\System32\dllcache folder.

Noter: Yours may be in C:\Windows\System32\dllcache instead of C:\WINNT\System32\dllcache

Tufenuf

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 15, 2004 8:35 PM PST

You are welcome Sabina. I still don't have an answer for why Word Pad disappeared but I may have found a work around for you. This does not say it's for XP but it may POSSIBLY work, I have no idea. It's a Word Viewer from Microsoft for people that don't have Word. My only other suggestion is to visit Window's Update and see if a scan there would give you Word Pad back again. You should do Windows Update anyway. This is the link for the Viewer. I have something similiar from Microsoft for viewing Power Point shows that friends send and that works great so maybe this will work for you are well in the same manner. , Good Luck.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9bbb9e60-e4f3-436d-a5a7-da0e5431e5c1&displaylang=en

Collapse -
The usual reason Wordpad vanishes is Cool Web Spyware.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2004 8:58 PM PST
Collapse -
Re: The usual reason Wordpad vanishes is Cool Web Spyware.
by roddy32 / November 15, 2004 9:07 PM PST

Thanks Bob. I wasn't aware of that but I will remember it for future reference. I almost always suggest a spyware check first but I failed to do so in this case though as I had not heard of this particular problem of Word Pad getting deleted before. It is noted now though, Thanks.

Collapse -
References about the Coolweb issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2004 9:17 PM PST
Collapse -
Re: References about the Coolweb issue.
by roddy32 / November 15, 2004 9:26 PM PST

I have always been a googler too and I googled "word pad disappeared" yesterday but I didn't get much in the way of results but I also didn't have the coolweb in my search. LOL I have learned a lot from you Bob just from reading your posts since I joined this forum. Thanks again for the knowledge.

Collapse -
by Tufenuf / November 15, 2004 11:09 PM PST

Bob, I'm fairly certain that notepad.exe is the file which gets fouled up due to CoolWebSearch not wordpad.exe. Check out the link below and if the text is too small just go to View\Text Size and change it to Medium.

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/winfiles.html

Tufenuf

Collapse -
I'd had that and more files fouled.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2004 11:17 PM PST

It's one the of the joys of Spyware that your experience is not like mine.

Bob

Collapse -
by sabina_2004 / November 16, 2004 1:53 AM PST

oh my God, Bob, I think I am losing it. Also my toolbar has changed into blue. It's like the original win xp and I hated it, so I changed it to the classic one, but since I the SP2 installation, I am not only minus a wordpad, but also can't open incoming ones and have now once more this stupid blue toolbar. In fact it's just not like I set it all up originally.
I hate the idea of going through the whole major geeks thing again. You are right, some pc users will find it very uncomfortable.
sabina.

Collapse -
by sabina_2004 / November 16, 2004 1:44 AM PST

Me too. I am going to run all my spy checks. Thanks to Bob and everyone for keeping me going.
I will let you all know tonight how it all worked out.
Bless you all.
sabina.

Collapse -
by sabina_2004 / November 16, 2004 1:40 AM PST

Good afternoon Bob,
I just went through the whole thing with Majorgeeks and they are fantastic, though they couldn't help me with uninstalling windows media player v. 10 either. But I am running now adaware SE, Spyware doctor and webroots spysweeper plus spybot and norton's antivirus, which I will change to the highly recommended PC Cillin soon. I can't imagine having another hijacker on my pc therefore. It must have been the installation of SP2 and for now I will try the other solutions. Keep your fingers crossed.
I have a copy of wordpad.exe. Maybe I can move it.
sabina.

Collapse -
How to remove WMP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2004 1:56 AM PST

It's not a supported item, but the method I use is noted at this web site -> http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html Search on the word "remove" or "removal".

I have a post I made about a year ago titled "Anti-Parasite Suite" which struck a friendly response in the Security Forum, but we can't make it stick and the tools have moved and evolved every month it seems. The MajorGeeks page is what I would love to see in a sticky, editable Forum Faq item. But we don't have that yet.

I think your machine will be A-OK soon.

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
Link to "Anti-Parasite Suite"
by billzhills / November 16, 2004 5:12 AM PST
In reply to: How to remove WMP.
Collapse -
Sabina, another one just in case
by roddy32 / November 16, 2004 3:22 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: Sabina, another one just in case
by sabina_2004 / November 16, 2004 8:29 AM PST

Roddy, hello. First off I want to thank you all for jumping in to help.
And yes, I just got CW Shredder, and I also have HijackThis, (Geekforum asked for all of those when cleaning up my pc). I just came online to let you know I am busy "cleaning" my pc but I forgot about CW shredder.
I need to ask: after making sure that I don't have parasites etc. can I run my win xp CD and just install wordpad.exe from it? Or should I use the "restore" on my pc? I already seem to have a copy of wordpad in my accessories folder, but it doesn't show up from the start program. It's simply disappeared just to upset me.
Will report back a little later, when I have done my CW shredder.
Sabina.

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 16, 2004 9:11 AM PST

You're welcome Sabina. I think that you should have Bob Proffitt or Billzhills or one of the others answer your final questions. They know a lot more about that part of it than I do. I just jumped in to provide with the link for CWShredder. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Collapse -
by sabina_2004 / November 16, 2004 1:38 PM PST

I did it !!!!! Oh my God, I don't know how I got it, but thanks to all of you, I went from one website to another and somehow got the solution. Wordpad opens up now, and I have kept the instructions, just in case somebody else might have a problem. Oh what a relief. Thank you all.
It's past midnight here and I am exhausted.
Sabina.

Collapse -
Sabina,
by Kees Bakker / November 16, 2004 6:32 PM PST

Good to read you solved your problem. Can you tell all the interested parties here how you did it? Or supply a link to the website where you found it?

You "kept the instructions, just in case somebody else might have a problem", but we can't read your archive here. So please publish it.

And I hope you had a good (and well-deserved) sleep.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.