Computer Help forum

General discussion

unable to open picture in photoshop

by jrbevans / January 22, 2008 10:55 PM PST

I downloaded pictures from my photo card onto my computer the way I always do. However now when I try to open the pictures in photoshop I get the error message "could not complete your request ecause the file is locked. Use the Properties command in the windows explorer to unlock the file.
So far I have tried unchecking read only; this did not have any effect
I tried opening the file in microsoft photo editor as well
I tried rename, move, copy and all give the same message access denied
I really need these pictures for a publication
Unfortunately I deleted them from the card.
I have windows xp and photoshop cs3
I hope someone can help me

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: unable to open picture in photoshop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: unable to open picture in photoshop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tried Taking 'Ownership'?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 23, 2008 1:23 AM PST

First, if you're not already, perform the changes as an admin login.

Next, I hope the files haven't become corrupted during the import process.

Next, browse to drive:\Documents and Settings\username and then take ownership of the file, being sure to check the box to take ownership of all subfolders and their contents. See the link for procedures for "owning" the files:

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Thank you thank you
by jrbevans / January 23, 2008 5:39 AM PST

I tried the take ownership of a folder instructions that you sent and it worked!!!
Yeah I can't tell you how much it means to me to have this problem solved.
It is terrific to know that I can go somewhere and there are people who know how to solve these problems.
Thanks again
I am now working on editing them and getting them into the paper.

Collapse -
Also try
by PudgyOne / January 23, 2008 4:46 AM PST

right click on the picture

left click on open with(use open if open with is not there)

right click on Internet Explorer(make sure the box is unchecked)

The picture should open in Internet Explorer.

Now right click on the picture/save picture as/

Try to save it as a jpeg. If the option is NOT there, then save it as a bitmap.

Now open the bitmap or jpeg with Photoshop. Save it as jpeg or whatever extension you want.

Collapse -
thank you
by jrbevans / January 23, 2008 5:41 AM PST
In reply to: Also try

I didn't get a chance to try your solution because I got busy with the first one, but I will definitely keep this in mind if I have other issues.
Thanks for taking the time to help out!

Collapse -
Just remeber
by PudgyOne / January 23, 2008 5:44 AM PST
In reply to: thank you

wait a few days to delete the pictures from the camera.

This may be stupid but, did you ever format the card in the camera? If it was a new disk, I wonder if that caused some of the problems.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?