Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Unable to open Internet explorer

by bkey / October 9, 2005 11:23 AM PDT

Hello, I hope I'm in the right place because I've had it with my current problem. I hope you guys can get me straight. As the subject states, I am unable to open Internet explorer. When I try to do so, I get a message that states that IE has encountered a problem and needs to close. Thats basiclly all it does, and it ask me If i want to send an error report. either if I choose yes or no, nothing happens. I can click on to see the data in the error report, so I will list below what it says just in case it may help someone help me with my problem.

appname: iexplore. exe appver. 6.0.2900.2180
modver 6.02900.2713 offset 0000dce8

modname: wininet.dll

Please help,as I have to get on my sons pc and it is driving me crazy.

Thanks,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to open Internet explorer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to open Internet explorer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Repair/reinstall IE...
by John.Wilkinson / October 9, 2005 2:07 PM PDT

Personally I'd just click here for instructions on how to repair/reinstall Internet Explorer in Windows XP. If you have Windows 98/98SE/ME, click here for instructions on how to uninstall IE, and here to download IE6 SP1 again. Reinstalling IE should fix the problem, but I'd still wonder what caused it in the first place. What kind of malware protection do you have, and what changes or strange installations have occurred since IE last worked? If you're infected with something the problem will probably resurface, and at the very least you'll want to prevent thsis from happening again.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
I tried repair/reinstal ie and nothing happens
by bkey / October 10, 2005 12:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Repair/reinstall IE...

John,
I am using xp and i went to the link you recommended. I tried to run the scan now feature and nothing happens. The DOS window comes up and talks about the scannow, but nothing happens. Does it take a while? Anyway, you asked about what malware do I use, I use McAfee antivirus, is that what you're talking about?

Also, my eight year old was on the infected pc, and I guess he got a little to click happy, that is how it all started Friday 10-07-05.

Please help because I'm at a loss.

Thanks for all of your help.

Barry

Collapse -
RE: Nothing happens...
by John.Wilkinson / October 10, 2005 12:48 PM PDT

I had asked about malware protection because an infection is a probable cause of such corruption. However, since it was the result of a little one, it will probably prove simpler to get IE back in running order. However, I'd like to note that McAfee AV is just one layer of protection you need against malware. Personally, I recommend the free firewall ZoneAlarm, and spyware protection of Microsoft Antispyware and SpyBot. The firewall helps prevent anything from entering or communicating from your computer, while SpyBot and MSAS scan specifically for spyware, something McAfee AV isn't geared for.

Since you are running Windows XP and the problem most likely wasn't caused by infection, you might want to try just using System Restore to "turn back the clock" to a time prior to IE not working. For information about System Restore, as well as how to use it, click here. If that doesn't work, then go back to the method I previously linked to.

As far as the option to repair Windows XP goes, entering "sfc /scannow" into the run box should flash a DOS screen for a split second, then come up with a box stating "Please wait while Windows verifies that all protected Windows files are intect and in their original versions," followed a second or two later by "Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache. Insert your Windows XP Version CD now." Try copying and pasting that exactly, leaving the space, but dropping the parenthesies, into the run dialog again and see if it works. (If it doesn't you may have a seperate issue.) In any case, I'd recommend starting with the second or third option on the page (reinstalling just SP2 or forcing a fresh installation of IE, respectfully) as opposed to reinstalling Windows.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
This has helped me
by EZRIDER714 / October 12, 2005 12:12 PM PDT
Collapse -
Error Reporting and WININET.DLL
by Cursorcowboy / October 9, 2005 10:19 PM PDT
PART I:

Please note that just above the text editor (where you enter a question on the forum) is the following paragraph in RED, and if certain information is not present in your question, our reply may not be very helpful:

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

Note also: You have the option of using the hyperlink ''Edit My Profile'' on the right side of the main page to fill in applicable system information so that it is available.

PART II:

Error Reporting which is enabled by default displays an error dialog box prompting the user to indicate whether or not they want to report the problem. When choosing to report the problem, technical information about the problem is collected and then sent to Microsoft over the Internet. If a report is rendered and if a similar problem has been reported by other people and more information is available, a link to that information will be provided the user. Turning it ON or turning it OFF is the user's call. Recommended: OFF.

PART III:

1. The article [Q276393] provides information to help diagnose and resolve issues when an unrecoverable error -- also known as user-mode (fault or exception) message occurs, and it is hightly suggest the steps outlined in this article be used and followed for each segment of troubleshooting.

a. Processes that run in user-mode do so in their virtual address spaces and do not have direct access to hardware or memory that was not allocated to them. Because user-mode processes are effectively isolated from the system and other user-mode processes, they do not interfere with these resources and therefore do not compromise the integrity of a system. For example, if a process tries to read or write to a memory location that has not been allocated to it, the result is an unrecoverable error (in this case, an exception). When these unrecoverable errors occur, the affected program or process must be closed to maintain the computer's integrity.

b. You must understand that most programs interact with other user-mode processes and may use add-on features that share another's memory space. In the case of IE, ActiveX Controls, Browser Helper Objects, tool bands, and other components can add custom functionality, such as additional toolbars, wallpaper or banner ads. These components run in the same memory space as the browser, and may generate faults or exceptions on IE or one of its components. Like most programs, IE also interacts with other parts of the computer. For example, the display driver, display hardware, and installed fonts to display Web pages; the printer driver and hardware to print Web pages; and other programs may also interact which these interactions with other software or services can also cause unrecoverable errors.

2. In many instances when a user reports that an exception error occurs, they usually fail to give the necessary information required to resove the anomaly. Generally, there will be a button labeled Details which when clicked may provide addition information about the problem and usually necessary for finding detailed information.

3. The article [Q160158] discusses and covers a variety of error messages when using MSN, The Microsoft Network, or Microsoft Internet Explorer concerning Invalid Page Fault errors and Wininet.dll

4. The article [Q275543] describes known issues that may cause an Invalid Page Fault error message and provides a pretty extensive list of known issues for troubleshooting.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.