General discussion

Unable to open desktop icons

Hello all. Hope someone can help with this strange issue thats driving me nuts. I have windows 7 64 -bit installed. I use IE 64 bit but use IE 32 bit for youtube etc as there isnt a 64bit version of adobe flash player available at the moment. Now the problem is that after I have closed IE 32 bit I am unable to highlight or open any programmes using the desktop icons. I can open them using the start menu. This problem doesnt exist after using IE 64 bit. Other account users on the family pc do not have this problem which led me to think that I have a virus or something like that. I have scanned the pc with AVG, Search and Destroy and Malwarebytes but nothing showed up. I have noticed that when I go to shut down the pc a message appears saying "waiting for background programmes to close". I cancel the shut down and check task manager which shows no programmes running. This has only started happening in the last week or so. I have installed a new microsoft keyboard and Logitech mouse but surely that will not be the cause as other users of the pc dont have this problem.
Thanks for taking the time to read.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Unable to open desktop icons
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Unable to open desktop icons
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
The old new thing.

If you google XP CORRUPT PROFILE you find out that profiles can get corrupt and one sign is one account has issues and the others work.

-> Keep researching and you find no repair tools for corrupt profiles. The advice is the same as always so to let you do the research I won't write how to deal with corrupt profiles.

My parting comment to MSFT is they could have done better on this issue.
Bob

- Collapse -
Unable to open desktop icons

Hi Bob
Thanks for taking the time to reply. The problem is now resolved thanks to Microsoft support who instructed me to manually re-set IE settings. I can post the solution if required which may be useful to others.

- Collapse -
My bet

Is they used that reset button in IE8. It's a shame the corrupt profile issue remains to this day.

CNET Forums

Forum Info