General discussion

Unable to log on, very slow computer

Hi...I'm trying to figure out whats wrong with my little brother's computer. It running on windows 2000 - pentium pro 450 MHz - 192MB system RAM.

When I start it up, it takes about 10 minutes to come to the log on screen and when I put in the user name and password, I get a message saying "the domain is not available"...not sure how to go about fixing anything when I can't log in. Should I just reformat it? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Unable to log on, very slow computer
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Unable to log on, very slow computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Deeps, Some Things To Check...

First, because I've seen the problem occur when a large HOSTS file is used, please click on Start-Run, then type services.msc, then click on OK. When the Services window pops up, scroll down to the "DNS Client" entry, RIGHT click on it, choose "Properites", then use the drop down menu next to the "Startup Type", to select "Manual", then click on Apply, then OK. Restart the computer and see if that helps. It will only fix the issue if a large HOSTS file is being used on the machine.

Next, download, install, update, then run ALL of the free spyware removal tools from the links below. Delete ALL spyware found:

Ad-Aware">http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/]Ad-Aware

- Collapse -
Sorry...

Thank Grif, but I think I was unclear in describing the problem. I would go through all the steps you suggested except that I can't get past the "Log on" screen. So what I need help on is figuring out how to actually make it past the log in and into the programs so that I can troubleshoot. I'm not sure if this is any better in terms of the explanation...please let me know if I should try to clarify a little more.

Deeps

- Collapse -
Deeps, Why Can't You Make It Past Log-in?

Do you not know the password or domain name? Is the computer on a network or is it stand-alone? The "Domain is not available" error indicates that the log on screen has incorrectly listed a domain name on the log on window. At the log on window, have you tried changing the domain name listed there by using the drop down arrow next to the domain line. (At the log on window, click on the "Options" button to display the "Log On To" domain line.) If you're using a standalone computer, then correct domain name will probably be listed as "Computer Name (this computer)".

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

CNET Forums

Forum Info