Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Unable to load MS Paint Program

by inquisitive / March 18, 2005 4:07 AM PST

I need help in loading the program MS Paint that was included in my Win XP SP2 Home Edition. Due to conflicts to a webCam someone installed in my computer, many programs were disconfigured and in desperation I re-installed again WIN XP but do not find this program. I also have MSN Dial-up 9 but could not find it there either. I need a lot of help, as my computer is new, but it takes like 5 minutes (yes, minutes) to boot. I uninstalled (physically removed this WebCam) but not the drivers that came with it, as the CD that accompanied the installation was lost and never found. I do not know what to do and appreciate very much any suggestion
Inquisitive

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to load MS Paint Program
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to load MS Paint Program
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Unable to load MS Paint Program
by John.Wilkinson / March 18, 2005 7:39 AM PST

Sounds like you have a lot of problems with your computer right now, so I'm gonna start by asking you to put down that hammer...we've all been there, but it's not the answer. Wink

MS Paint should be located at "c:\windows\system32\mspaint.exe". If it's not, try running "System Restore" and return your computer to a state where it worked properly. If you haven't created a restore point, or it does not correct the problem, your computer manufacturer should have included a backup of all programs/drivers. Check the start menu for an application recovery or software repair wizard. If there isn't, insert your installation/recovery CD and look for a recovery option that doesn't involve erasing all of your data/programs. The location and functionality of these features vary by vendor, but shouldn't be hard to find.

As for the long boot time, there are a few possibilities:
1. You probably have a lot of unnecessary programs launching at start-up. (Usually evidenced by a lot of icons in the taskbar.) Go Start, Run, and type in "msconfig". Click on the "startup" tab, scan through, and uncheck any programs that you don't want launched at startup. I've found that Answers That Work is very helpful in identifying unknown programs, as well as whether or not they are required.
2. Since you just reinstalled Windows, you shouldn't have a problem with viruses or spyware, but it's still a possibility. If you havn't already, install a virus scanner and firewall from McAfee, Norton, TrendMicro, or ZoneAlarm. McAfee offers a free virus scan. I also recommend installing Microsoft AntiSpyware. It may be a BETA, but it's already better than its alternatives, and Microsoft recently announced that the full version will be free when it comes out this summer.

Finally, the phrase "someone installed in my computer," followed by a problem, is never a good thing to hear. I'd restrict the ability of others to do that by password-protecting your account and disabling the "guest" feature. Then create new user accounts with "limited access" so that you can control who uses your computer, and what they do with it. Just go the "user accounts" from the control panel to prevent your computer from becoming a public playground.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
All good advice
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 18, 2005 8:41 PM PST

The only thing I would add about MSPaint is that you may still have it, but it has not been added through "Windows Components".

Try this - Goto Start > Control Panel and double click the "Add/Remove Programs" icon. Wait for the list to populate, then in the icons on the left border click "Add/Remove Windows Components".

In the new window, make sure "Accessories and Utilities" is highlighted, place a tick in the box, then click "Details". In the next window, (showing Accessories and Games), highlight "Accessories", then click "Details" again.

In the next window, scroll down and make sure "Paint" is ticked. If not, tick it, then OK out of each window.

When you get back to the Windows Components window, click Next, and follow the instructions.

This should put a shortcut for MSPaint in your Start > All Programs > Accessories folder.

Good luck

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks to Mark & John, re. Load MS Paint
by inquisitive / March 24, 2005 2:34 AM PST
In reply to: All good advice

This message is to you Mark and to you John. I thank you both your great advise that helped me not only find some other problems and troubleshoot them, but also I learned new functions and commands of XP, to which I am new.
As to my computer being a public ground, yes, in a way it was true, but it was b/c a nephew wanted to give me as a gift a webcam and to surprise me, he installed it but then left and I also was out-of-town but I gave him my password to access the computer without thinking he was going to do this thing, which would be okay, the problem is, he did not have the time to check if this piece of equipment would work and then apparently the installation driver was accicdentally broken. I already wrote an e-mail to Creative, the manufacturer of this webcam but I have not yet received an answser and the drivers could not be uninstalled with the "Add/Remove Hardware (software) and also I was a

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!