Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Unable to install zone alarm

by tomron / March 2, 2006 8:41 PM PST

Everytime i try to install zone alarm i get to the last step,which is a window that asks me if i want to check for updates or more info.

Clicked for check for updates,nothing happened,in fact i could not open the internet even,nor was their a zone alarm icon anywhere.Tried twice,to no avail.

OS 2K
FF

Tom

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to install zone alarm
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to install zone alarm
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is it possible
by dawillie / March 2, 2006 10:20 PM PST

that Windows 2K is not compatible with these software firewalls, noting your problems in the other post with Kerio?

I have an older veriosn of Kerio which is as effective as the new one, except that in mine you write most of the rules that are now default rules in the newer Kerio.

If you would like to try Kerio v 2.1.5 email me or go to

http//www.dslreports.com where they have a dedicated section on both Kerio Personal Firewall and Tiny Personal Firewall from which Kerio was a breakaway.

E-mail addy is in my profile.

Collapse -
Here are the System Requirements:
by roddy32 / March 2, 2006 11:53 PM PST

for ZoneAlarm.
Windows 98SE/ME/2000 Pro/XP. Pentium III 450 MHz or higher. 50MB of available hard disk space. Internet access. Minimum system RAM: 48MB (98SE/ME), 64MB (2000 Pro), 128MB (XP)

I don't use it so I'm not really sure about your problem Tom.

Collapse -
This is what belarc says,does this qualify
by tomron / March 3, 2006 12:34 AM PST

Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4 (build 2195) No details available
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.00 gigahertz Intel Celeron
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
128 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P4S533MX REV 1.xx
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ASUS P4S533-MX ACPI BIOS Revision 1006 06/11/2003
Drives Memory Modules c,d
20.01 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
16.93 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8523B
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

WDC WD200BB-00DEA0 [Hard drive] (20.02 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WMAD16708712, rev 05.03E05, SMART Status: Healthy 96 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM 1' has 128 MB
Slot 'DIMM 2' is Empty
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 20.01 GB 16.93 GB free
Network Drives
None detected

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yes, that should work,.
by roddy32 / March 3, 2006 1:36 AM PST
Collapse -
Tom
by glenn30 / March 3, 2006 12:29 AM PST

I installed this as an update rather than a clean install and it went perfectly without any problem on XP system.

Since you have this problem I would suggest downloading a fresh file from http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp and saving to disk. If it was me I would uninstall the version you have and remove all old remnants from the registry. BE CAREFUL!... and make backup of registry first. If you are not comfortable then you could try this without modifying the registry. Next install the fresh download by doing a clean install.

Tom, I hope this helps. It has worked for me previously when having an installation problem with ZoneAlarm.

Glenn

Collapse -
People,we have lift off
by tomron / March 3, 2006 1:32 AM PST
In reply to: Tom

The first two times i tried to install was from download.com and i did not chose the pro version(I don't think that would make a difference)

I tried Glenn's link which is not download.com (don't know if that means anything)

Done deal.thanx everyone
Tom

P.S.I'm missing a post in this thread,maybe Roddy knows where it is LOL

Collapse -
Congratulations Tom!
by glenn30 / March 3, 2006 2:04 AM PST

I always try to download any software from the author's site if possible. I feel there are too many opportunities for contamination or additions of malware from other sites... to the best of my knowledge download.com is a good site but things do happen. Grin

Glad you have it fixed!

Glenn

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I did take it Tom but it's back anyway. :)
by roddy32 / March 3, 2006 2:09 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Lol Lol,Thanx again everyone
by tomron / March 3, 2006 2:12 AM PST

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!