Laptops forum

General discussion

Unable to install XP

Hello,

I just bought a Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5881 laptop (full specs here: http://tinyurl.com/6lz4gh). It comes with Vista, which I despise, so I want to install XP on it. Upon booting with a legal and functional XP installation CD, I get the BSOD a few minutes into the installation. This has happened several times.

I also tried to remove the hard drive and put in an old SATA hard drive that was running XP that I got from another Toshiba satellite laptop that is no longer in use. They are exactly the same except for size in GB. The computer boots into XP and about three seconds later reboots, in an infinite loop.

What is the problem? Is it even possible to install XP on that computer, or to get it to accept the old hard drive? Is it a hardware issue?

Thank you for your help and let me know whether you need more info from me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to install XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to install XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can I?

In reply to: Unable to install XP

Avoid repeating the now thousands of advice on this? That is, when you used your XP SP2 CD to boot and install from, what did you do to give XP support for SATA drives? It's not native so you need the driver or changing the BIOS to emulate IDE.

Again, did you research this?
Bob

Collapse -
DOA as of today.

In reply to: Can I?

I looked and found no XP support. My advice is to return the product as defective.

Collapse -
Caveat emptor, or at least lots of patience

Toshiba tech site doesn't even list available drivers for XP or Vista! Who knows if the AMD 780V chipset even supports XP? So, call Toshiba and if they can't(won't) help, either return to CC or wait until someday when the drivers are downloadable or accept the despicable.

Collapse -
Ahh...

Collapse -
Problem solved

All that was necessary was to change "AHCI" to "compatibility" in BIOS and the problem is solved. Thanks all for your help.

Collapse -
Toshiba L305D

In reply to: Problem solved

Once you got through the XP loading problem for your L305D laptop, where did you get all the needed XP drivers to support the video, WLAN, etc.?

Thanks

Collapse -
RE: Toshiba L305D

In reply to: Toshiba L305D

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.