General discussion

Unable to install Windows 2000 Pro

Aug 27, 2005 12:02PM PDT

HELP! I am very frustrated because I am trying over and over to install windows 2000 pro. I go through the steps , installing from CD, then I do all the steps. Then on when it gets to the first automatic reboot, it freezes after it lists the bios. A solid red light on my machine, this is the working light. I just can't seem to get past this stage. I bought a new small 30G drive. I tried to install 98SE, that worked fine. But now I just can't install 2000. I used it before and it was okay. I am trying to recover the other drive information that used this OS before. Somebody please help. I don't know what to do next. Thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Unable to install Windows 2000 Pro
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Unable to install Windows 2000 Pro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Your install technique.....
Aug 27, 2005 1:14PM PDT

needs a little clarification beyond, " then I do all the steps.".

Was a partitoning and format using NTFS performed?
Are you installing within a previous version of Windows?

- Collapse -
Install Technique
Aug 27, 2005 2:15PM PDT

Okay, thanks. Here is what I do. I started with a fresh, brand new 30G hard drive. I inserted the disk and then F8 to get to the boot to CD-ROM. I did a new install. I partitioned the unpartitioned portion of the drive with NTFS. Then the system checks my drive, goes through copy files for installation then does another check. Then it states it will reboot in 15 sec. So I let it and then right after it goes through the bios screen, it freezes and does not move.

I tried this also after I installed 98SE to see if this would do any good. So after I installed 98SE I then put in the Key number and it then said it was to reboot the system for the first time, the same thing happened.

Do you suppose my disk got corrupted or something? I just do not know what to do.

I hope this helps. As I did not get too far in the set up as it only got me to one reboot.

- Collapse -
You appear to have some hardware.....
Aug 27, 2005 9:38PM PDT

issue which is preventing the install from proceding. Is this a bona fide Windows disk or a copy? The specifics on the machines hardware may help.

- Collapse -
Sadly, this is not
Aug 28, 2005 3:37AM PDT

a bona fide windows disk but a copy.

My system is a built one which consists of an AMD Atholon 1.0G, 256MB Memory, I had 60G of hard disk space, with a back up of another 60G internal. I also had 80G external. But, one of the 60G is where my OS was and replacing it with a 30G. Upon installation I took out the extra hard drive and only have the new 30G installed. I also disconnected any other hardware, two printers, scanner and the 80G. I am not too sure what else you are looking for. But that's all about it.

My whole point is this: trying to install the OS (2000) and connecting the old drive to see if I can rescue anything I may of left on the system, Quiken data, etc. I was wondering if maybe my old drive took a dump which caused the failure. But this still does not solve the problem of installation of OS 2000. What's the best way to hook up my second drive as this does not seem to be recognized when I open my computer. Any steps there?

Thanks again Michael for your input and taking time out to help.

- Collapse -
Locked. Here's why.
Aug 28, 2005 4:03AM PDT

Such is forbidden by the forum rules.

CNET Forums

Forum Info