Computer Help forum

General discussion

Unable to install new dirve.

by Arthur Kelly / May 5, 2004 8:07 PM PDT

I want to install a new drive (used but new to this unit) on a 4 year old Acer unit and have not been able to do so. I removed the old 3gb drive and installed my 10gb but on start up the Acer name screen comes on and thats as far as it goes. I cannot get it to the actual point of accepting the drive or starting it. The os on the drive is WinXP Home. Ive heard I need to refigure BIOS but lack the knowledge to do so. I can enter the BIOS but dont know the method for bypassing or removing the Acer components embedded therein. Any help would be appreciated greatly. Arthur

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to install new dirve.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to install new dirve.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Unable to install new dirve.
by jconner / May 5, 2004 11:57 PM PDT

First make sure the disk is jumpered as a master, since this is an older system and the cable is probably also the older 40 pin type. The drive may have a picture on it showing how to set the jumper for master. If it is an 80 pin cable, then set the jumper to cable select (CS).

If it does not automatically recognize your new drive, you will have to get in to the bios (typically by hitting the delete key or one of the function keys )to see if it will detect it. That is usually the first screen and will tell you the drive that are connected.

Depending on the age of your motherboard there could be issues with the hard drive (size) and with the XP O/S that is installed on it. The O/S will think its still part of the other hardware system.

Since you have an O/S installed on that drive, if it does manage to boot (no guarantee it will, especially XP), it is going to want drivers for whatever devices you have on your system and for the motherboard. This may require some research and downloading off the Internet if you do not have them. Things like the video card, sound card, chipset, modem or network may all be different and you may have to provide the drivers.

If you get the system to recognize the drive, it may be easier to do a new install. Transfering an O/S between different hardware configurations can often be very problematic.

Good luck

Collapse -
Re:Unable to install new dirve.
by TONI H / May 6, 2004 7:52 AM PDT

You can enter the bios....does it see the harddrive listed correctly? What types of components were you thinking about disabling? Don't disable anything for now, just let us know what your plans are in the bios.

As for XP on the 'new' 10GB drive, you are certainly going to run into problems. Specifically, XP was installed on that drive while it was installed in another computer so ALL HARDWARE listed in its registry is hard-wired to that other computer. Even if you format the drive and start over with a new installation of XP, you will have to activate it all over again because XP will see this as a possible piracy issue and you may have to physically call Microsoft to get a new activation code for it.

I had personally changed hardware so much in my new system after installing XP Pro that I went to boot up the computer and it wouldn't get to the desktop....it was calling for a new activation code and I had to call MS to clarify that it was the same computer with new hardware before I got the number I needed to get to the desktop. Just warning you ahead of time...

I would format and start fresh to avoid conflicting hardware in the registry on the drive with what's actually in the case now....then activate new with MS when you get things up and running.

TONI

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?