General discussion

Unable to install modem software from CD

All attempts to install D-Link USB modem drivers from the supplied CD fail with "newdev.dll" error and "administrator rights needed to run". I am the only user
and named administrator since installing XP Pro SP3 and never had this prob before. User Groups in Comp
Management shows "Administrator" and "My Name".
Tried by copying CD contents to hard drive, right click
Setup and "Run as Administrator" but the same thing happens - as above. The modem is a new D-Link DSL-200 and the drivers need to be installed before the
USB connection is plugged in. Also tried connecting it
and installing drivers through Device Manager but that
also failed.
Does anybody have a solution for this? I would be grateful for any help.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Unable to install modem software from CD
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Unable to install modem software from CD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Too many causes today.

From Spybot to Norton, registry cleaners and more, you may want to tell more about this machine (hint on the items I noted.)

- Collapse -
Unable to install modem software from CD

This computer has recently had a new hard drive and a fresh install of Win XP PRO
SP3. 2GB RAM, 150 Gb HDD.It is not internet connected (trying to do that with a new USB Modem - the internal network card has failed and been removed). All MS updates were d/lded and installed before the card failed. The system has been scanned with several virus progs and is clean. Everything is running ok but I need to get it back on line. Currently using my other PC, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Win7.

- Collapse -
Re: newdev.dll error

You're not the only one. Googling NEWDEV.DLL ERROR gave a lot of hits. One might contain the solution.

http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/t/35010.aspx for example notes a rather strange collection of things that worked with some:
- install SP3
- uninstall SP3
- uninstall IE8
- delete 4 existing folders with network software

It seems a nice mess. Maybe try another brand of modem or a com-port modem if your PC still has a COM-port.

Kees

- Collapse -
My clue is "a fresh install of Win XP PRO"

Today it's rare to see a proper "fresh install of Win XP PRO".

The procedure is over 10 steps long with folk winging it (guessing) all the way. It's a shame that in 2+ decades Microsoft never attempted to correct this. Because of this I changed my view that restore media is a great idea.

Bob

CNET Forums