Cameras forum

General discussion

Unable to initialize Nikon Coolpix 5900 on ME

I am unable to initalize Nikon Coolpix 5900 on Windows ME, on a Gateway Solo laptop, 30 GB memory. THe computer does not recognize the camera and Picture project software does not, either.

I think I have tried everything, including installing system-requested drivers, disabling Norton Antivirus, and checking the Windows Updates to see if any downloads are necessary.

Please help.

Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to initialize Nikon Coolpix 5900 on ME
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to initialize Nikon Coolpix 5900 on ME
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
USB connection

In reply to: Unable to initialize Nikon Coolpix 5900 on ME

Do you know for sure that your USB hub is working?

If you are not sure:

Go to the Device Manager and scroll all the way to the end and you should find a device called:
"Universal Serial Bus Controllers"

Click the Plus Sign + to the left of Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
What entries do you find there?

Collapse -
"Device Manager" is absent.

In reply to: USB connection

Thank you for responding.

I have conducted a "Search" for "Device Manager" and it is not there. Would it be called something different on a Gateway Solo laptop using Windows ME?

Collapse -
Article and pictures.

In reply to: "Device Manager" is absent.

It's the same path as we used in Windows 95 and 98.

-> http://www.computerhope.com/win95er.htm

If you are new to Windows, don't be shy and tell so you can get the right level of help.

-> Also, tell a longer story. Did someone ever "load Windows" on this machine? Why I ask is too often they forget all the drivers Microsoft doesn't fetch for us.

Bob

Collapse -
Mostly illiterate in Windows

In reply to: Article and pictures.

Hi Bob,
The laptop was a donation; it came with no software or support. I was able to scrounge a Windows ME disk, and had installed a 30GB drive.

I followed your's and J. Randolph's recommendations and this is what I found on the laptop in the Device Manager:

Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host
and USB Root Hub

I looked for updated drivers, but these are the most recent; I checked to see if they are functioning, they are.

Do you have any other suggestions?

P.S. It's true, I'm not a Windows person - I had a youthful encounter with DOS, but quickly converted to Mac; occasionally I have liaisons with others' Windows.. Our aged Gateway Solo is our sole laptop, and it's been reliable and supremely usable. It seldom has problems; it's regularly defragmented, I've never had to spend in-depth time learning about its functions - that's the downside of a good tool. I'm preparing it to travel 3000 miles away to school, to accompany the Nikon Coolpix 5900 and the teenager.

Thank you,
Sarah

Collapse -
That was a CLUE!

In reply to: Mostly illiterate in Windows

"I looked for updated drivers, but these are the most recent; I checked to see if they are functioning, they are."

99% of the time when I read this, the owner clicked the magic "Driver Update" button. This is just a demo and not to be trusted. Why I do is to find the machine's maker and their website then install the drivers from there.

This is the big pothole that is Windows. You can't rely on Microsoft for drivers.

Cheers,

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.