Question

Unable to get smart view 2.0 to recognize my TV

Hi there,

I want to start of by explaining that all functions on my new 2 days old Samsung UE46H6203 work properly on a wired or a wireless network. I can use the browser, watch Netflix, YouTube,...

But when trying to connect my TV over the network to my PC using Samsung's Smart View 2.0 application the TV does not appear in the list after hitting the "connect to TV" button.

This TV support Smart View 2.0, it is on the exact same network as my computer. Moreover both devices already "see" each other. The TV appears on my PC network and my PC appears in the "media player" function of the TV, but it's not able to open any files (probably because the smart view app hasn't recognized my TV yet at this point).

I've tried everything I could think of, wired and wireless. Reset my router (Telenet Belgium ISP modem router combo), deactivated all security settings,... Restart everything, multiple times, set WEP security setting to WPA (although that shouldn't matter in case of a wired connection),... No result.

I tried connecting via the Smart view 2.0 app from my iPhone, doesn't work either, the app won't recognize the TV. It feels like I'm not getting some setting right or is this a known bug?

This is my last resort, if i can't get it to work by the end of the coming weekend I'm bringing this TV back to where it came from and change it for one with decent networking HW.

If there is any extra information you need from me to get a better view on the issue, please ask.
Thanks in advance guys!

Boris

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Unable to get smart view 2.0 to recognize my TV
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Unable to get smart view 2.0 to recognize my TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
iPhone 5 to Samsung UN24H4500

Hello, whenever I try to connect my TV to my app, the app asks me to type in four numbers. No numbers come up on my TV, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

- Collapse -
Always call these in.

Samsung needs to support this app. I've mostly seen it fail. Only at the trade shows have I seen it work so it's anyone's guess why they didn't make it work for everyone.

- Collapse -
Checking this page out, I don't see this feature listed.
- Collapse -
Answer
Only one idea.

Many routers have firewalls that block such. Be sure the router firewall is under control. That is, most folk are not network engineers so the setting is off for this to work.
Bob

- Collapse -
Firewall is off

Hi Bob,

The firewall is set to "off". So that should not be the problem...
I'll have an other evening of trying (some new ideas came to mind) after work.
Maybe I need to change some sharing settings in Windows and on the iPhone to make this work properly.

I found a manual from a UE55H6400 online (can you believe there is no decent manual of the one I bought?! Just the typical quick guide that came with the TV) and there they don't even talk about the smart view 2.0 application. Just change some network and sharing settings in Windows and it should work,... So some hope there.

I'll come back once there is progress.

In the mean time please don't hesitate to shoot ideas.

Thanks!
Best regards,

Boris

- Collapse -
There is that other issue.

I looked at this a few months ago and didn't find Windows PC support for this. It had support from other devices and the CNET member was not going to accept what was on the Samsung web pages about this. In many folk's mind when you write computer that means a PC running Windows.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/faq/FAQ00060156/87487/UN28H4000AFXZA seems to be the same as before. That is, no Windows PC listed there so be sure you are reading support and if the product doesn't work, well you have a good reason for the return counter.
Bob

- Collapse -
PS. Went looking for your model.
- Collapse -
Smartview 2.0 is available for PCs running windows

Smartview 2.0 is available for PCs running windows

Here is the Smartview 2.0 download from the UK:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/smartview2/index.html

Note it says: Now you can take your favourite photos, video and music from your PC, whether you're running Windows 8 or Windows 7, and view it on the big screen. All you need is the Samsung SmartView 2.0 app. It even works the other way around, letting you watch TV content on your PC screen. That means you can also use your keyboard to type on your TV, or even use it as a remote control. Just connect your Windows device over Wi-Fi to a compatible Samsung Smart TV, and enjoy a smarter viewing experience.

The TV itself instructs me to install this app (instructions show up in the multimedia hub)

I can't get my windows 8 computers running this app, or my Galaxy S3 to detect my TV connected on the same network either so there is an issue here.

- Collapse -
Good to read they added it.

When I first read this, Windows was not on the list. Now it seems to work with more models but not all. Seems to create a lot of dashed expectations.
Bob

- Collapse -
No solution still

Hi!

I have the same issue, with no solution until now. I called Samsung support, they don't know, called Samsung Link support, they don't know either. It's just ridiculous how bad their support is.

I kept the TV, but shouldn't have.

Don't go for Samsung if you want a smart TV!
Don't go for Samsung if you like smart people helping you out over the phone.
Consider Samsung if you're looking for a cheap screen.
Make it smart with a gaming console, an apple tv,...

In my case, after a month, I consider it a lesson well learnt. (the hard way...)

Best regards,

B

- Collapse -
Got it "kind of" working

Hi!

Smart view aside, setting up some streaming options in windows solved the problem where i couldn't see the libraries in windows media player on my TV. This ONLY works using WIFI on the TV. With a wired network there was no way i could access these libraries.
As I'm not using windows media player and don't want to start using it either I looked into PLEX.
Really happy with it. It works great! Wired and wireless. Super responsive and nice interface!
All my movies, series, pictures and music right where i want them!

So my conclusion, if your native TV features are dumb, there is probably a smart app that will make you happy.

Thanks for the support!
I'm off, streaming a movie Happy

Boris

- Collapse -
Fixed

Turn off your virus protection while starting the smartview. I had the same problem there virus protection has its own firewall and then allow the app to acess through your firewall.

- Collapse -
Answer
Not the PC app, but possibly similar issue

Not sure if the functionality works the same way, but the description of the iOS app in iTunes mentions that the 6203 model is not supported.

[Supported Devices]
2014 Samsung Smart TV H5500 and above. (Except for H6103, H6153, H6201, H6203)

And, of course, the SmartView 1.0 app will give a notice that you should use the 2.0 version for 2014 models. So you're pretty much out of luck for a pairing; you'll have to find an alternative remote app or an alternative system, e.g. Plex, to do what you want to.

- Collapse -
Answer
smartview fix for smart tvs

5500 series and above (2014 and newer technology) works fine with all EXCEPT 4 DIFFERENT MODEL NUMBERS........ 6203 is one of the models not supported. Samsung reports dlna certified but it doesn't work. Don't know dlna claims for 6201, 5201, 5203 (other 3 not supported). I've filed a complaint with Samsung. May file with AZ Atty Gen. :dlna.org: OTHER FEATURES MAY NOT WORK. I returned mine and bought a smart tv model 6350. Note: can't get tv on S3 phone on 6350 and am investigating now.

- Collapse -
Answer
Smart View 2.0 cant recognize my TV

Hy,

i am from Croatia and I had the same problem yesterday..i have 48 uhd7500 samsung smart TV, Smart View 2.0 worked fine until yesterday..long story short.. what I have done is next: after reading all forums threads and finding your problem that is the same problem as mine..
1. step firewall from router off,
2.step firewall from windows off,
3 step disconect TV from wireles in network setup
4. step unpluged TV from power,
5.step waited 10 seconds then put the plug form the TV back and power on the TV..
i think that 5.step is the key one..i would try the 5.step first then see if that helped..i have talked with the guys from samsug store where i have bought the TV and they sad that the TVs in their store also have some sorte off bug..if the wireles network somehow resets then TVs in store stope brodcasting and then they have to unplug the TVs and then again find the wireles network.

I think it is a stupid bug and you have to just like in the old days if something is not working just unpluged it from power then wait a few seconds and pluged it back happy..
hope this helps

- Collapse -
Answer
(NT) According to the following ad, it's no longer
- Collapse -
Answer
No longer be able to use the app as a TV remote or mirror tv
- Collapse -
Answer
I FIGURED IT OUT!!

Go to your Samsung TVs menu.. Go to your "Network" tab.. Disconnect from your network.. You do this by trying to sign in to another network that's visible.. When it prompts you for a password, just put in any random word. It will reject you. That's OK.. Now sign back into your network. SOLVED!!!!
Thank ya.. Thank ya very much..

- Collapse -
boooyah

U da man Mr. Bigone... Photos, vids and music all working well and fast... Graci...

- Collapse -
Answer
(NT) Samsung smart view app
- Collapse -
Answer
(NT) can't download Samsung smart view app to Samsung g360p
- Collapse -
- Collapse -
- Collapse -
Answer
Found a solution

I connected to my tv with Wi-Fi direct and then went back to the smart view app and my tv now showed and allowed me to connect.

The only problem I then had was the video quality when streaming to my tv wasn't that good. Not horrible, but not great.

- Collapse -
Answer
Windows 10 Smart view working

Hi
I had this problem and it has taken a long time to actually find a solution. it is firewall setting and I guess it happened when windows 10 was updating so with help (THANKYOU) I found where the setting need changing

so type in to search
Allow a app through window firewall
than search in there for smart view
and tick all boxes , this should solve things

- Collapse -
Still not working

Sorry to say, it doesn't make it work. Smartview is shown as being allowed through the Windows Firewall. Just to check, I turned the firewall off completely, but still no connection.
The TV exists as a Multimedia device on the network but Smartview steadfastly refuses to see it. I tried reconnecting the TV to the network, no different. I have downloaded and installed Plex and it streams to the TV just fine, but Smartview? No way. I think Samsung should withdraw this software until they figure out why it doesn't work and save everyone from wasting their time with it.

- Collapse -
solution

Hi there,

I had the same problem and found the solution:

press windows key + P

click on the projector ( laptops screen will be visible on the TV screen) and when you open Smartview you will see that the program now is detecting the TV Happy

- Collapse -
Answer
Try Wired connection to TV

My Smart view was recognizing TV but mostly not.

I tried wired connection to TV

now its working.

CNET Forums