Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

unable to get ad-aware

by jodie / February 18, 2008 11:35 AM PST

I have had ad-aware for over a year. This past month the "update" had stopped and I had to get the newest def file manually via the ad-aware "help". Figuring there was some corruption, I uninstalled the entire program and deleted all the Lavasoft files regarding it. Then I went to Lavasoft, found the "free ad-aware" for home use and tried 3 times to get it. Each time the download came from C/NET "mirror site", was suppose to take over 5 hrs (I am on dial-up.), took less than 5 minutes. When attempting to install what had been downloaded to my desktop, I got the message (all 3 times) that the exe file was invalid.

Can anyone tell me how to get this program? I run Windows XP. Thank you. (I do so hope I can find this thread as I have had terrible time finding the forum.)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: unable to get ad-aware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: unable to get ad-aware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Unable to get Ad-Aware
by Carol~ Moderator / February 18, 2008 2:28 PM PST
In reply to: unable to get ad-aware
Collapse -
If Still Having Problem Even on Suggested Sites........
by tobeach / February 18, 2008 2:56 PM PST
In reply to: unable to get ad-aware

can you use a friends or library or other machine (w/DSL/Cable ) to download and save to CD or Flash thumb drive?? You could then transfer to desktop or My Docs and exe from there. After right click scanning w/AV/AS programs just in case, turn OFF AV/AS temporarily for install period. Reboot & check AV/AS re-started.

One other thought: What other protectors do you have running? Win One Care? Other like Norton? Any new or updated at time problem started?

Fast download would seem to indicate only partial downloads received.

Bookmark/Favorites front page of forum for easy return.

Good Luck! Happy

Collapse -
by jodie / February 18, 2008 11:22 PM PST

Yes, that was the link I had used. It did not work!

Thank you all for the information. I went to Majorgeeks and started the download from there. It now shows 25% downloaded; so I suspect it is working fine. (I am on dial-up; therefore, it will take forever. At least I seem to be getting it now.)

While at Majorgeeks, I started looking around at the information available regarding protective programs. I found the "Spyware Detector", which sounds amazing, though I know it must cost a great deal. Maybe one day I will get it.

At the present time, I run the free programs (Spybot S&D, Ad-aware, WinPatrol & Spyware Blaster. Nortons came with this pc; so I have kept it; but it is eating up my RAM. I will change it for AVG probably when it needs updating to 2009).

My son and I use this pc mostly for enjoyment. We both play a multiplayer game called RuneScape and want protections mostly for our characters in that game. As mentioned in my initial post, we have Windows XP with SP2 and the above protective programs. We have Intel Pentium 4 processor with 2,00GB virtual memory. Our video card is 512 meg. Thus, I think we are well set for playing this game.

I would like to know if it would be wise for me to get that Spyware Detector program. So far this pc has been working beautifully for over 2 yrs, though we did get a "return notice" for an e-mail we did not send out and that disturbs me. Can anyone advise me about this?

Collapse -
ooops
by jodie / February 18, 2008 11:26 PM PST
In reply to: ..

I am apparently "replying" wrong and find no "edit". I had intended the above post to simply be generic to this thread and not a reply to only one poster. Sorry about that.

Collapse -
Stay away from "Spyware Detector". Always be
by roddy32 / February 18, 2008 11:44 PM PST

careful with the sponsored ads on these download sites. From what you have posted, you should have enough protection.

Collapse -
??
by jodie / February 19, 2008 3:10 AM PST

Roddy, "Stay away from 'Spyware Detector'". Will you explain your reasoning please?

Collapse -
It is not a recommended
by roddy32 / February 19, 2008 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: ??

program. Even Site Advisor flags it as bad. There are too many good programs out there to mess with one of the many that are not.

Collapse -
Spyware Detector
by Carol~ Moderator / February 19, 2008 4:52 AM PST

Jodie..

There's a thread at the Spybot Forum, titled " Spyware Detector on Malware list". When the thread was created in July of 2006, SpywareDetector was itself being detected by Spybot Search & Destroy as malware. "Yodama" a member of the Spybot Team wrote that, "the reason why SpywareDetector is listed as Malware is that it can get installed without userconsent along with a Smithfraud-C infection. So basically SpywareDectector will find an infection on your computer, an infection that came along with it. Then they charge you to remove the infection they are responsible for"

In February of 2007, apparently Max Secure Software "cleaned up their act" and practices. Enough for Spyware Detector to no longer be considered rogue by the Spybot Team. "Yodama" confirmed the fact when she later wrote, "I can confirm, that Spybot does not detect Spyware Detector anymore. Thus it is currently not regarded as malware anymore".

I can't speak for Roddy, but I suspect he'll tell you it's his personal choice to stay away from software which at one time was considered "rogue". It happens to be my "personal choice" too. The developer's may have improved their program and tactics, but I'd rather stick with programs which have proven themselves trustworthy from the start. (TOTALLY my opinion. Nothing more.)

Carol

Collapse -
(NT) Yes Carol, my feelings also.
by roddy32 / February 19, 2008 4:54 AM PST
In reply to: Spyware Detector
Collapse -
(NT) "History" proves itself once again!
by Carol~ Moderator / February 19, 2008 5:05 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) You know me well grasshopper :)
by roddy32 / February 19, 2008 5:39 AM PST
Collapse -
Thank you all so much ..
by jodie / February 19, 2008 9:04 AM PST
In reply to: Spyware Detector

Carol, Roddy and all: I am grateful for the thoroughness of your help. I have decided to follow your example and not get what was once considered "rogue". I was able to complete the download and get Ad-Aware installed. I did an update on it immediately; then ran a full system scan. It found 11 "cookies". lol

Thanks again for helping.

Collapse -
(NT) You are welcome :)
by roddy32 / February 19, 2008 9:17 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Great to hear you FINALLY got AAW installed! :)
by Carol~ Moderator / February 19, 2008 9:35 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.