Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Unable to download large files (30mbs+)

For some reason I am unable to download large files, usually anything over 30-40mbs. I noticed it as I was unable to download a patch for Crysis, and then attempted to download other large files from multiple sites and experienced the same problem.

What happens is the download will start and stop with in just a few mbs and then not download any more.

When downloading files under 30mbs they download as normal.
I am able to view and browse the internet and game with out any issues.

I attempted to download large files on my laptop through the wireless connection and I experienced the same issue, so I think it's a problem w/ my router.

My desktop is hooked via hardwire to to the router.

My OS is Vista Home Premium
I7core 6mbs ram.
Modem : Motorola Surfboard
Router : Linksys WRTG54

Thanks for the help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to download large files (30mbs+)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to download large files (30mbs+)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try it without router.

In reply to: Unable to download large files (30mbs+)

Connect your desktop directly to the modem. Just for diagnostics. Be sure your firewall is activated!

If this confirms that it's the router, start with resetting it.

Kees

Collapse -
Still

In reply to: Try it without router.

Upon connecting directly to the modem - the problem still exists.

Collapse -
I've seen this . . .

In reply to: Unable to download large files (30mbs+)

For some reason, and I think it has to do with consolidating the file on the drive, let the download window stay there. Give it a minute or two.

Collapse -
Still lost...

In reply to: I've seen this . . .

Something changed, the only change that I remember doing to my system was creating a printer share, so my wireless laptop can use the printer through my desktop.

When I was able to download w/ out a problem they would start instantly and continue d/ling until finished.

Now it takes a while to start and upon downloading will only make it maybe a few MB and then stop. It will not resume itself after 1,2, or even 10 minutes.

Collapse -
Check your browser support

In reply to: Still lost...

Depending on what you meen by cannot download... It may be your browser... Google Chrome will throw an error saying something about file size to big... and on one occasion I have recevied a simmilar error with an old IExplorer (both are in the thousands of Mbytes before error).

although if the downloads just fail after about 40mb your ISP maybe limmiting you or your DHCP may be getting renewed (unlikely for both)

there are severall other things that could cause this such as faulty drivers or viruses currupting the downloads at the kernel level (my brother had one simmilar to that fun stuff)...

if it's the same file your downloading over and over it could be a server error or firewall jump... good luck I'd deffinatly check the browser...

-ps
with most of those it could be intermediatly solved with a download manager... ttyl

Collapse -
Did you

In reply to: Still lost...

turn off any download accelerators?

Did you try Flashget and flashgot, like I suggested?

Did they work?

Rick

Collapse -
Nothing yet

In reply to: Did you

I do not have any download accelerators.

I have installed Flashget and I noticed my download speeds will vary from 790k to 1.3k

However, I am downloading a file as I type this and I have downloaded over 20mbs, further then I've gotten w/ out it.

But Im trying to resolve my problem to not use a download manager. I shouldn't have to.

Collapse -
the same problem

In reply to: Nothing yet

I have the exactly same problem with downloading of bigger files..

I have tried to download files through Mozzila and Internet Explorer, unfortunatelly, the result is the same.

All the time is downloaded only the file with few kilobytes. When i click on downloading file the whole browser (IE or Mozzila) is freezed for few minutes and the mentioned file with few kilobytes will be downloaded.

I have no problem to open or save small files like pictures or subtitles..

My brother's computer is connected to the same modem with the same firewall and download management of files works normally.

I'd tried to change the drive for downloads, but nothing has changed.

Used operation system is Windows XP.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.