Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Unable to download from Windows update site

I have a problem that I can't figure out. When I go to windows update on the start menu I get sent to www.msn.com.

Also when I click on Microsoft update it just grinds and grinds.

Also when I go to the windows updates web page and try to download something manually it validates my machine and presents a clickable download button. When I click on it I get a very small windows pop up that says page not found.

I can not download anything off of Microsoft's site.

When I go to update superantivirus I get an error that says "There is an error trying to retrieve definitions" "Make sure your firewall is not blocking superantispyware.exe from accessing Internet"

When I go to update adaware I get can' find Internet connection.

Any ideas??

Many thanks,

John

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to download from Windows update site
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to download from Windows update site
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Unable to download from WU site

In reply to: Unable to download from Windows update site

John..

A couple of things to try for a start. Go to the Control Panel>Network Connections>Local Area Connection. Click on it's Properties. On the General Tab highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)". After clicking the Properties button there should be a tick mark next to ""Obtain DNS server address automatically". There's a possibility it might have been changed to "Use the following DNS server addressess" (with addresses entered), instead.

Whether the above needed changing or not, I would further suggest scanning with below:

Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from:
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Or from MajorGeeks:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html

'Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

-Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
-If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
-Once the program has loaded, select Perform QUICK Scan, then click Scan.
-The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
-When the scan is complete, click OK
-On the main scanner screen, click on Show Results to view what was detected.
-Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
-When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)

The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

Extra Note:

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

I'm presuming you meant "SUPERAntiSpyware" and not 'superantivirus', as you (first) wrote it. If not, SUPERAntiSpyware is also a good scanner, in addition to the above.

Let us know if you find anything..
Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Prior to scanning..

In reply to: Re: Unable to download from WU site

Something I failed to mention, which may be of further help. Prior to scanning:

Start Windows in Safe Mode and "unhide" your files and folders first. At some point in time, it would be wise to "hide" your files and folders again.

Collapse -
Hi Carol

I had already ran the Malwarebytes scan and got this:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{7d5dd829-6c90-42c5-b54c-2afa82f988ba} (Rogue.Installer) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{2b96d5cc-c5b5-49a5-a69d-cc0a30f9028c} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{35b7e48b-9d81-4c6c-9578-5fd4f620d886} (Spyware.MarketScore) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\DhcpNameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Data: 85.255.112.165 85.255.112.23 1.2.3.4 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{d930da9a-27b9-4498-8762-5665f3031cad}\DhcpNameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Data: 85.255.112.165 85.255.112.23 1.2.3.4 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\DhcpNameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Data: 85.255.112.165 85.255.112.23 1.2.3.4 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{d930da9a-27b9-4498-8762-5665f3031cad}\DhcpNameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Data: 85.255.112.165 85.255.112.23 1.2.3.4 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\DhcpNameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Data: 85.255.112.165 85.255.112.23 1.2.3.4 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{d930da9a-27b9-4498-8762-5665f3031cad}\DhcpNameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Data: 85.255.112.165 85.255.112.23 1.2.3.4 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Those IP addresses are to download.microsoft.com

Here is the nsloop up results:

C:\>nslookup download.microsoft.com
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Can't find server name for address 85.255.112.165: Timed out
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Can't find server name for address 85.255.112.23: Timed out
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Can't find server name for address 1.2.3.4: Timed out
*** Default servers are not available
Server: UnKnown
Address: 85.255.112.165

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: download.microsoft.com.san.rr.com
Address: 99.198.101.4

Also I did this:

C:\>ping -n 1 download.microsoft.com
Ping request could not find host download.microsoft.com. Please check the name a
nd try again.

Collapse -
More info

The dns is set up properly.

Thank you for the ideas. Can you think of anything else??

John

Collapse -
Re: More ideas

In reply to: More info

John..

When you ran the first scan, did you reboot afterwards? And did you run it in safe mode and were your files and folders "unhidden"? Trojan.DNSChanger has hidden components and uses rootkit technology, which nature is to change your DNS settings. It's also why it's suggested to disable System Restore before scannng. That's about the extent of what I know and feel comfortable telling you. I'd direct you to a prior thread, but it may not be very much help. She eventually posted a HJT log (elsewhere) and it indicated quite a few different types of infections, in addition to Trojan.DNSChanger.

The best I know to tell you, is to either post your findings at our Spyware, Viruses & Security forum, after scanning in the above manner (and rebooting), or perhaps post a HijackThis log at one of the forum's which analyze them. They can SEE what's going on, and they also have different tools at their disposable, which we don't use here. I'm not knowledgeable enough in the area, to make any further suggestions.

If you do decide to post a log, the instructions are here. The sites which analyze them are on the left of this page:

http://hjt-data.trend-braintree.com/hjt/analyzethis/index.php

The choice is yours to make. If you post at the S,V&S forum, Marianna may tell you to post a log anyway. But I can NOT say that for sure.

I wish you the VERY best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Re: More ideas

I appreaciate all the informtion. One more thing. I ran in safe mode but my windows folder is hidden. Let me go mess with that.

The first pass in normal mode found 3, the secound pass in safe mode found 6 more.

John

Collapse -
You're welcome, John..

In reply to: Thanks

Sometimes it does take a couple of "go arounds". You may even pick some up in your restore points.

I forgot to mention, the first three entries it found, are of no consequence. The developer of MBAM added a new location where MBAM looks for malware GUIDs'. I recognize the old location and those entries are from past infections and nothing to worry about. Happy

Collapse -
Hi

In reply to: You're welcome, John..

I did a full vs the quick scan I did initially and found 6 more.

Still no dice.(g)

John.

PS I am begining to wonder if some micorsoft update is the problem.

Collapse -
It's questionable, IMO.

In reply to: Hi

John..

Did you unhide your files? I've got countless questions running through my head, but it's getting late here. (Not "getting".. IS Wink )

You wrote you were having problems updating AAW and SUPERAntiSpyware too. I'm usually quick to blame a MS update, but in this case, I'm kinda doubting it. I don't even think SP3 would cause such problems. I can only tell you what I would do. And that would be, to make sure my system was totally clean first. If it is, you can rule it out as a cause, and work from there.

John, you might best be served posting a log, or posting at Spyware, Virus & Security. I also wouldn't rule out the moderators and members at this forum, either. Again, it's up to you.

I don't know what else to suggest. I'm out of ideas. Sad

Let us know how things turn out..
Carol

Collapse -
Hi

In reply to: It's questionable, IMO.

Yes I unhid all of the files before I ran the full scan in safe mode.

I just tried to down load windows defender from the cnet site. It takes me to the microsoft download site. Validates my OS gives me download button and when I click on it it pops up a browser window in upper left of screen that says:

"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
Diagnose Connection Problems

More information

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

Internet connectivity has been lost.
The website is temporarily unavailable.
The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.

For offline users

You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
To view subscribed feeds

Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the feed you want to view.

To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)

Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the page you want to view."

Come on Carol, I know you can do it!!! I got faith in you.

John

PS ssl and tls are enabled.

Collapse -
Hi Carol

In reply to: Hi

I didn't mention that I have two computers with this issue regardings Downloads from download.microsoft.com and the window update resolution to www.msn.com.

That's why I am being to wonder if a recent update did this.

I will take to other forum

Thanks!

John

Collapse -
One last thing

In reply to: Hi Carol

From some reason the only way I can get to the internet is with the Router. I can not get a connection to the internet with either machine if I wire directly to cable modem, only if they go through the router.

I just started using this router about a month ago or so.

John

Collapse -
Only to let you know..

In reply to: One last thing

Hi John..

Just wanted you to know your most recent posts didn't go "ignored". I only saw them a short time ago. Took a quick trip to the Spyware, Viruses & Security forum, where I saw the thread you started. Hopefully, resetting your router will help you, as it did someone else. Either way, you're in good hands.

Enjoy your weekend..
Carol

Collapse -
Hi

In reply to: Only to let you know..

I fixed it. I found this at major geeks.

To all those who have been infected with the trojan.dnschanger as i was these last few days. I couldn't quite understand why if i ran Malwarebytes, cleared the infections then restarted my computer WITHOUT a network connection, the infection seemed to be cleared. Then AS SOON AS i connected to the internet it would come back again. Finally the obvious dawned on me, it had actually changed the settings of my internet connection. It had caused it to connect with its own DNS records instead of Automatically getting them from the ISP.

In my case it had actually changed the settings on my router which is why it affected all 8 machines that connected through the router. As soon as i removed those settings and returned it back to automatically get them from the ISP, everything was fine.

So, to get rid of this unbelievably annoying infection, disconnect from the internet, run Malwarebytes to clear any remaining infections, and remove the amended dns settings. Restart your computer, connect to the internet, perform a final Malwarebytes quick scan to make sure it has gone and then continue with your life happy in the knowledge you have overcome another annoying infection

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1234119

In my case my router was fried and I went and bought a new one. It was a 5 year old linksys with updated firmware. They use flash memory. Flash has only so many rewrites and mine gave up the ghost.

Thanks for the help.

John

Collapse -
windows update goes to msn

Just wanted to say THANK YOU! After 2 weeks working with microsoft techs, your advice fixed the problem. This is what works folks, install this software!

Collapse -
You're welcome. It DOES work for some.. not ALL.

In reply to: windows update goes to msn

Some have to dig a little deeper with additional tools.
Other's may have a slighty different problem .. but I'm glad to hear it worked for you. Happy

That said, it IS a "mighty-fine" piece of software (IMHO)!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.