Windows Legacy OS forum

Alert

Unable To Download Anything. No Updates or Software

Unable to RUN or SAVE any updates or downloads. I did what Norton suggested that didn't work, I did what it said on Cnet (download.com) that didn't work, tried to save downloads to desktop that didn't work. My downloads get to 99% with 1 second to go then freeze. I can't use my Norton Eraser because I can't download the latest updates. I bought a new battery that didn't help. My laptop is max out as far as adding more RAM. So do I have a bug or do I need a new hard drive or motherboard ? WHAT! I might be getting a false positive from my Norton scan.. What should I do? My Norton 360 wants to charge $100.00 to check my computer. I pay once a year so I won't get sick or stuck.. Can Someone help me?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable To Download Anything. No Updates or Software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable To Download Anything. No Updates or Software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What about removing Norton?

In reply to: Unable To Download Anything. No Updates or Software

When it expires all sorts of odd things happen. Why not a free AV if money is the issue?
Bob

Collapse -
What About Removing Norton

In reply to: What about removing Norton?

I still have till Nov 2011 on my Norton. And I have Spybot as well.. but I can't download any updates or Norton Eraser. I'm unable to download any AV anything.. thats what I'm saying is, I'm unable to download anything. My

Collapse -
About Spybot.

In reply to: What About Removing Norton

It's Teatimer continues to create conflicts. You may have to uninstall Spybot and Teatimer.

Sorry if I don't write it again why.
Bob

Collapse -
Downloads freezing up at 99%

In reply to: About Spybot.

Still didn't work... downloads still freezing up at 99% download

Collapse -
You have to decide.

In reply to: Downloads freezing up at 99%

If it's worth fixing. We know that Norton inspects the downloads which is a good thing until it breaks.

Thoughts?

1. Try another browser.
2. Dump Norton.
Bob

Collapse -
You Have To Decide ?

In reply to: You have to decide.

Thank you Bob for your help.

I bought MalwareBytes last night waiting for the backup hard copy to be delivered. I use Internet Explorer to access online. And Google as my homepage and Norton 360 as my search engine. So when you say browser are you talking about Internet Explorer? And if so how do I get online if I remove Explorer ? It"s part of my Windows XP.

Collapse -
Re: Internet Explorer

In reply to: You Have To Decide ?

Don't remove it. Just download and install another. Firefox and Chrome are free.
Find a PC that CAN download, copy to your USB-drive, and install from there. Then try the new browser.

Kees

Collapse -
USB Drive

In reply to: Re: Internet Explorer

If Foxfire is (Full Size 13.33 MB) and I need to copy it to my USB-drive..
What size Flash Memory SanDisk do I need. 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, 32GB... ?

Collapse -
Re: stick

In reply to: USB Drive

There go 1000 MB into 1 GB. So there go about 70 Firefoxes (not foxfires) in 1 GB. That's 280 in 4 GB, 560 in 8 GB and so on.
So I would say any suffices for this purpose.

But you might like to use it for other purposes in the future?

Kees

Collapse -
"Norton 360 as my search engine. "

In reply to: You Have To Decide ?

I agree with Kees here. But letting Norton integrate with IE is going to be trouble for some machines. We are talking about XP and Symantec so while some get upset about this, you are on a very old OS with companies doing a poorer job everyday supporting this OS.

I'd use another browser for a test run if you can't bring yourself to try this without Symantec products.
Bob

Collapse -
Unable To Complete a Download of New or Update Software

In reply to: What about removing Norton?

I'm unable to download anything. My Norton 360 is good till Nov 2011 and I have spybot, but I can't download any updates or any new free AV. All attemps fall short at 99% downloaded then freeze.

Microsoft XP
Version 2002
Service Pack 3
Genuin Intel CPU
T2250 @ 1.73 GHz
1.73 GHz 1.99 GB of RAM

Collapse -
IE & Norton

Thank You Kees... we'll do and I'll keep you posted thank you...
Kristi

Collapse -
IE & Norton

I can work without Norton.. I'll try what you and Kees have suggested. I'll keep you posted..
Thank you for walking me through this. You have been so very helpful. I can't thank you enough.
Kristi

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.