General discussion

UNable to delete URL shortcut

I have been backing up my computers religiously. I will open another question post about what specifically is recommended for backups but for now, I need to find a way to get rid of this file on my 250GB Seagate FreeAgent drive. I suspect it got there from backing up my computer which is NTFS and onto the FreeAgent Drive, which I suspect is FAT32, and now, I can't delete it. I can't move it or rename it or anything. What ever I do, pops up this warning... (see screenshot)

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: UNable to delete URL shortcut
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: UNable to delete URL shortcut
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
No install cure.

For this sort of issue I boot (no install) an UBUNTU CD and click around to that location. Select it, tap delete and it's gone.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thought it looked easy

I just happened to have a Ubuntu -Live- CD that I made a while back and I was able to easily click to that file. But it wouldn't let me delete it because it said it was on a, "Read Only Drive."

- Collapse -
Ahh. That hit me a few days ago.

Here's an article about a step to try in Ubuntu:

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1607680.html

Sorry but I'm not seeing a reason to do this the hard way. Usually it just shows up and maybe I right click and check a box for read write but it's being difficult for you today.
bob

- Collapse -
Thanks Bob

I'll have to read through that again. I'm not sure this is where I'm having a problem because Ubuntu lets me open and look at everything. It just won't let me change it. I believe it has something to do with that whole "ownership" thing. I changed all the permissions I could find in Windows to make it available to everyone for everything but I'm still missing a checkbox somewhere.

- Collapse -
The ownership is ignored in Linux.

--> Before you wipe, chkdsk it. This stung a friend recently. Ubuntu didn't mount it due to some chkdsk error.
Bob

- Collapse -
OK, thank you!

I will definitely try that and play around with it before I delelte anything. Thank you for the heads-up on that idea. I didn't know Ubuntu was suppose to ignore ownership. The first popup I get in Ubuntu when I hit the delete button says that it "can't" do the delete because it is a "Read-Only" drive. And I thought I got every permission set correctly to avoid that. So I probably missed something somewhere.

CNET Forums