Computer Help forum

General discussion

Unable to delete files in My Documents

by PT2BCH / December 9, 2008 11:43 AM PST

I have a Dell Dimension 2350 Series computor and XP Service Pack 3.

When I try to delete files, they will not delete and they duplicate.

I have McAfee Virus Scan Plus, have also run the free scan from housecall.trendmicro. Can anyone help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to delete files in My Documents
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to delete files in My Documents
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by pbjtime00 / December 9, 2008 11:48 AM PST

Are you saying that when you select a file, and press the delete key on your keyboard it creates a duplicate?

Also, stop using mccaffee. It's garbage. Use AVG or Avast. They're free.

Collapse -
by PT2BCH / December 9, 2008 9:19 PM PST
In reply to: umm

That's exactly right. I now have copies of copies! I now realize McAfee is no good. Any suggestions? I ran a free registry scan from regdefense and it found 409 registry errors. It said I would have to purchase software to clean it up. Not sure if it is worth it since I am considering getting a new computor. Any thoughts? Thanks for any advice.

Collapse -
Re: exactly
by Kees Bakker / December 9, 2008 9:36 PM PST
In reply to: umm

- Wwhat happens if you do a right-click>delete?
- What happens if you do right-click>shift-delete? That circumvents the recycle bin.
- What happens if you delete such a file from the command prompt?
- Does it only happen in My Documents folder? Or also in sub-folders of My Documents? And it other folders (like the root folder, the Program Files folder, and whatever other folders you have or can make).
- If you delete a folder, is that duplicated also?
- What happens if you delete such a file after booting in Safe Mode?

Just asking things you didn't yet tell and that might be relevant.

Collapse -
by PT2BCH / December 9, 2008 9:55 PM PST
In reply to: Re: exactly

I will try your suggestions when I get home from work. Not sure how to delete a file from the command prompt. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Unable to delete files from My Documents
by PT2BCH / December 10, 2008 9:34 AM PST
In reply to: Re: exactly

I know I'm shouting, but THANK YOU SO MUCH!
I ran the free scan at as suggested by my son-in-law, that cleaned out viruses, malware, etc. but I still wasn't able to delete those files. Since they were duplicating each time I tried to delete, (I think exponentially), my computor was really slow. I clicked on Edit and selected all from the drop down menu, and did the right-click>shift-delete and in a few minutes I had a clean My Documents folder. Give yourself a big pat on the back!

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?