Computer Help forum

General discussion

Unable to copy a file on to newly bought CDR-W

by kumar2004 / November 25, 2004 8:10 PM PST

I have bought a new hp cdr-w and tried to copy a file from my d drive. but there was an error message "There is no disk in drive F. Insert a disk, and then try again"

Even If i Retry, I cannot copy.

Please help me on how to format and use the cdr-w like floppy to copy a file.

kumar.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to copy a file on to newly bought CDR-W
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to copy a file on to newly bought CDR-W
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please tell more.
by Kees Bakker / November 25, 2004 8:18 PM PST

Kumar,

- What's your OS?
- Did you install the drive yourself? With all the software that came with it and according to the Installation Guide? Or was is done by somebody else?
- How did you try to copy the file (Explorer, CD-burning software?)
- Can you use the drive to read a DVD?

Kees

Collapse -
Re: Unable to copy a file on to newly bought CDR-W
by Yew / November 25, 2004 9:11 PM PST

As handy as it sounds to be able to use a CD-RW disc like a floppy, it's really not. There are at least two programs that "format" CD-RW discs, and each one is incompatible with the other. Further, you need a special reader program installed on any computer that doesn't have this program installed, it it won't be able to read the CD.

Your best bet, is to just burn files the "old fashioned" way. If you want to add a new file, erase the entire disc and burn it again. The discs tend to last longer this way, and the only compatibility problem you might encounter, are systems with CD-ROM drives so old they can't read CD-RWs. That pretty much ended in the 2-4X CD-ROM days, so it's essentially a non-existent problem.

Collapse -
by pgovil / November 26, 2004 12:39 PM PST

Are you able to read using your CD Writer? To format the CD media use one of the commonly available softwares like Nero. I am quite sure HP must have provided you with the CD Writer some sort of CD writing software which you can install and use.

Collapse -
by lamartinm / November 27, 2004 11:05 AM PST

I have the same problem with my CDR-W. Does is ruin the CD when it formats the disk and it still won't work properly.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!