Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

unable to connect to wireless network

by pyratejenny / August 7, 2010 5:11 AM PDT

I have tried about everything to fix this issue.

Using:
IBM ThinkPad running Windows XP 2002 SP3
NetGear Cable/DSL Wireless Router Model MR814 version 1
ISP - Comcast

Problem:
After an ISP connection outage, wireless connections are malfunctioning. One laptop (HP EliteBook, same op system) will connect if WEP security IS enabled, the ThinkPad will connect if WEP security is NOT enabled, but will not load any websites. Both computers will connect through hardwire connection direct to router. (For Reference, the HP registers a "limited or no connectivity" error when security is disabled. we prefer to have security enabled, so we're troubleshooting the IBM.)

Have tried:
resetting TCP/IP manually
resetting winsock

uninstalling drivers & rebooting to auto detect & reinstall most recent drivers.

adding router connection to wireless network list manually, including changing network authentication to "shared" and imputing WEP key manually, not automatically. (this stopped us from getting the "windows is unable to connect to selected network" error, but now it just spins on the "waiting for the network" and eventually times out with NO error message at all.)

ipconfig when WEP security is ENABLED:

Host Name.....: MLastname
Primary Dns Suffix.....:
Node Type......:Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled.....:No
WINS Proxy Enabled....:No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Media State........:Media disconnected
Description....:Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
Physical Address.....:00-16-6F-89-7D-74

ipconfig when WEP security is DISABLED:

Host Name....:MLastname
Primary Dns Suffix.....:
Node Type.....:Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled....:No
WINS Proxy Enabled....:No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix.....:
Description....:Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
Physical Address.....:00-16-6F-89-7D-74
Dhcp Enabled......:Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled.....:Yes
IP Address......:192.168.0.5
Subnet Mask.....:255.255.255.0
Default Gateway.....:192.168.0.1
DHCP Server.....:192.168.0.1
DNS Servers......:192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained.....:Saturday, August 07, 2010 2:53:38PM
Lease Expires.....:Saturday, August 14, 2010 2:53:38PM

If anyone can help us resolve this issue, my joy & gratitude will be unparalleled.

Seriously - we've spent the entire day on this to no avail. SO FRUSTRATING!!!

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: unable to connect to wireless network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: unable to connect to wireless network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The good news is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2010 5:15 AM PDT

I've seen that happen on wifi routers with WEP security. So far the fix has been to change the wifi security to WPA PSK and that's it.
Bob

Collapse -
unfortunately
by pyratejenny / August 7, 2010 5:38 AM PDT
In reply to: The good news is

our router is so old, that doesn't seem to be an option in the settings - unless i missed it.

i did, however, just realize that our router is set to channel 3, but the computer WLAN settings indicate current channel is 11. our entire neighborhood uses channel 11, so we were getting sporadic service. is it possible to change the channel on the thinkpad? the "modify WLAN settings" button is greyed out.

Collapse -
There are at least 3 versions of that router.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2010 11:41 PM PDT
In reply to: unfortunately
Collapse -
nevermind
by pyratejenny / August 7, 2010 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: The good news is

just tried changing the channel back to 11 & no change.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?